PLFSOM vs. UTMB [Texas Match]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThreeBody

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLFSOM (TTUHSC El Paso)
Pros
  • I'm really interested in going into border health in the future
  • Option to do anatomy distinction
  • Spanish curriculum
  • Pre-clerkship patient experience
  • More excited about the curriculum here
  • Gut feeling that PLFSOM is the right one for me
  • Smaller class size
  • Hiking in the El Paso area + skiing nearby

Cons
  • Don't have any close friends/family at El Paso...
  • 9 hours away from other big cities
  • More primary-care focused (I don't know which specialty I want to go into yet, but it would be nice to have a well-rounded match list)

UTMB
Pros
  • More well-rounded match list
  • Seems like the most relaxed med school in TX
  • 1 hour drive to Houston (huge pro because of the close friends & family there)
  • Has more student orgs, even for niche things

Cons
  • Nothing really stood out to me about the program
  • Galveston (for me, El Paso is leagues better than Galveston)
  • Bigger class size

Summary: I'm trying to decide which one to place first on Match Day. I got a pre-match to PLFSOM, and I honestly like PLFSOM's curriculum more, but the location of the city is what's turning me off. I like the city of El Paso itself, but it's a long way from any big city. For Galveston, the two big pros I can think of are 1) a more well-rounded match list and 2) closer proximity to Houston, where I have some close friends & family. My gut says El Paso, but UTMB logically has some great pros.

Members don't see this ad.

I truly believe you know in your heart where you would be happiest. Despite the information above, PLFSOM will still get you where you need to go, but will do it where you are happier. I'm talking to myself about this at the same time I talk to you. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm currently going through a similar dilemma. I love the curriculum and feel at PLFSOM, but I was accepted to A&M and I can't help but feel like it's the more logical choice for residency apps, because of it's "rank" and because I'm not certain which specialty I want to go into. But I've just got this gut feeling that El Paso is the way to go for me. I'd love to hear what you've decided!

I am currently in the EXACT same dilemma between PLFSOM and UTMB. I have a feeling El Paso is the school I want to rank #1, but it is a whole lot farther away from home than UTMB (11hrs v. 6 hrs.) I would like to hear what other information you have come across!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend in El Paso and she loves it! I don’t think either school is a bad choice at all and you can do anything from either of them. I have a similar dilemma with choosing between 2 amazing OOS schools in comparison to Texas programs. Go where you feel you’ll be happy!

I have a friend in El Paso and she loves it! I don’t think either school is a bad choice at all and you can do anything from either of them. I have a similar dilemma with choosing between 2 amazing OOS schools in comparison to Texas programs. Go where you feel you’ll be happy!
Tough choice! Where are you trying to decide between?

Tough choice! Where are you trying to decide between?
For OOS I have Indiana and Minnesota! I have family in both places and I would love to attend one! And for Texas, I have UTMB, TCOM, Lubbock and UTRGV. I’m honestly happy with any of the above!!! I am from Houston which is why I really like UTMB. I only live 45 mins from Galveston. At the same time my closest friend is in Lubbock and I have an amazing support system in DFW.

For OOS I have Indiana and Minnesota! I have family in both places and I would love to attend one! And for Texas, I have UTMB, TCOM, Lubbock and UTRGV. I’m honestly happy with any of the above!!! I am from Houston which is why I really like UTMB. I only live 45 mins from Galveston. At the same time my closest friend is in Lubbock and I have an amazing support system in DFW.
Of those choices, I'd go UTMB. Second choice Tech. Indiana and Minnesota are COLLLLLD and I hate the cold. This week, with all this ice, snow, and subhuman temperatures is hell for me!

Of those choices, I'd go UTMB. Second choice Tech. Indiana and Minnesota are COLLLLLD and I hate the cold. This week, with all this ice, snow, and subhuman temperatures is hell for me!
Whaaat?! I really like the cold! We are experiencing a fair amount of snow in north Texas this winter, I love it!
i did put UTMB at the top of my rank. However it was a pretty weak interview for me. I felt I did better with UTRGV and Indiana. The others were okay. I would love to live in Indy 🥺 I would also be happy staying home with my immediate family. Ah we’ll see with how this cycle plays out!

I am currently in the EXACT same dilemma between PLFSOM and UTMB. I have a feeling El Paso is the school I want to rank #1, but it is a whole lot farther away from home than UTMB (11hrs v. 6 hrs.) I would like to hear what other information you have come across!
If it helps, I ranked PLFSOM first! My main reasoning was that PLFSOM would help expose me more to border health, and I'm interested in being involved in border health in the long run. I think both schools are great, but PLFSOM won as my first choice because of where I see myself in the future.