!!! PLz help with SAT !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basketball

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, I have 1+ yr till MCAT and I was wondering if studying the SAT would be a good idea (because i have 1+ yr left). I have a hard time comprehending some of the difficult passages, and I need to build my vocabulary.

I was thinking of 6 months of SAT (Vocab + critical reading) and 6 months of MCAT. I just dont think im reading fast enough
any comments? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hello, I have 1+ yr till MCAT and I was wondering if studying the SAT would be a good idea (because i have 1+ yr left). I have a hard time comprehending some of the difficult passages, and I need to build my vocabulary.

I was thinking of 6 months of SAT (Vocab + critical reading) and 6 months of MCAT. I just dont think im reading fast enough
any comments? Thanks!

are you in highschool or college, I am a bit confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why study for a test you've already taken and will never have to take again? I mean, if you have a physics test on Friday, do you study algebra on Monday and Tuesday first?

Start studying for the MCAT now. You can develop the skills you need specifically for the MCAT by using MCAT materials. If you want to improve your vocabulary, start reading more. Novels, journals, the New Yorker, the Atlantic, stuff like that. If you have a year that should be plenty of time to work with.

Very bad idea. MCAT verbal reasoning has little to do with the SAT and there is no need for vocabulary at all on MCAT. Skimming a passage and taking notes is very effective for SAT, but much less so on the MCAT. Going back to a passage to find a specific detail is necessary on the SAT, but it doesn't work on the MCAT because the questions are much more "main idea" oriented.

Reading speed is almost irrelevant on the MCAT. It's all about how much time you spend on the questions and how little you look back to the passage. If you can read 800 words in 5 minutes, you're fine.

There's enough good MCAT material to build a house out of- I have 28 MCAT books. For verbal, EK 101 passages are the best (after AAMC exams of course), although you still have so much time you might as well start with TPR or Kaplan or even inferior stuff like Barron's and McGraw Hill.

Very bad idea. MCAT verbal reasoning has little to do with the SAT and there is no need for vocabulary at all on MCAT. Skimming a passage and taking notes is very effective for SAT, but much less so on the MCAT. Going back to a passage to find a specific detail is necessary on the SAT, but it doesn't work on the MCAT because the questions are much more "main idea" oriented.

Reading speed is almost irrelevant on the MCAT. It's all about how much time you spend on the questions and how little you look back to the passage. If you can read 800 words in 5 minutes, you're fine.

There's enough good MCAT material to build a house out of- I have 28 MCAT books. For verbal, EK 101 passages are the best (after AAMC exams of course), although you still have so much time you might as well start with TPR or Kaplan or even inferior stuff like Barron's and McGraw Hill.

thanks for the replies guys! do Barrons/McGrawhill have VR passage questions as well? I dont know where to get all these things!

thanks for the replies guys! do Barrons/McGrawhill have VR passage questions as well? I dont know where to get all these things!

You can get these books from any bookstore you want. Amazon, Barnes and Noble, wherever. It's a big money market so there's usually a pretty good selection. They're not exactly cheap though, so brace yourself for that.

Yes, but Barrons is the worst in terms of MCAT prep. If you can only get the books available at the bookstore, get Kaplan or TPR's MCAT prep. Those two will actually be useful.