plz help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mn3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI guys,
I have a major problem im a freshmen at a community college my first semester i had taken Bio 1 and had dropped it with a "w" due to some personal reasons. the second semester i retook it i got a grade of "D'. I really want to be in the medical or dental field. I really dont know what to do, would you recommend retaking biology again or say goodbye to my dreams forever

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are having trouble in entry level bio, you definitely have a huge climb ahead of you. I would re-take Bio, and really work on getting all A's from here on out.

If this doesn't work, nursing is an option too, and advanced nursing degrees can make plenty of money.

Know when to give up and try another path, but only after you had given your best effort.
Of course you should retake the biology class. You're far from giving your best effort at the moment. Get your life together, work as hard as you can, see how far you can go. Don't give up so easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
First, I wouldn't worry too much and certainly wouldn't give up!! Staying motivated and keeping your eye on the prize is one of the biggest challenges of being pre-med. Often people (regardless of gpa) lose touch with what makes them want to be a physician, and as a result get even more discouraged by the competition and a low grade or two.

That being said, a D is low, I won't sugar coat it, but there are a lot of challenges to community college, namely the setting/enviroment which often resembles highschool and the (some of) professors' indifference if you were unlucky enough. If you feel that medicine is what you want to do, prove it. Take the next level of bio, and put all your effort into it keeping in mind that you need to bring up that D. It will be hard and you'll want to pull your hair out, but honestly for some, that's what it takes. Do well in all of the rest of your classes, locate where the problem lies (whether you actually can't 'do' bio or if it's an external cause), focus on classes and make them a priority and most importantly start shadowing and volunteering. Being in a clinical setting will help you to stay motivated and have something to look forward to, or in the case that medicine isn't for you, it will help you to see that and pursue other ventures.
I'm happy to help if you have any other questions, don't get discouraged!

Okay, this will sound mean and anti-ksmi lol...

Give up- Like somebody above said, its good to know when to give up. Gen Bio 1 is a weed out class. You have been weeded out. You will very likely do bad in the next semesters in bio. So, try something else, maybe you'll find something better where u'll like to put in some time.

Okay, this will sound mean and anti-ksmi lol...

Give up- Like somebody above said, its good to know when to give up. Gen Bio 1 is a weed out class. You have been weeded out. You will very likely do bad in the next semesters in bio. So, try something else, maybe you'll find something better where u'll like to put in some time.

I say give it one more shot. Do the best you possibly can do so that there are no doubts about whether or not you can do it under a certain set of circumstances.