plz tell in detail about osteopethic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.lk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
please can anyone tell me what is DO? which degree it is ? a medical final year student.can i join osteopethic? it will be graduate degree or post graduate? how long is this course& what is it all about? it includes surgery or not? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

This is a big order for a small post. Hopefully, I can start the ball rolling with others helping out the points I miss...

Osteopathic medicine awards a D.O. degree. Allopathic medicine (traditional) awards a M.D. degree. For all practical purposes they are the same degree. Each allows to practice all types of internal medicine and (sub)specialities and including surgery.

The main difference between the two "on the books" is in philosophy. Osteopathic philosophy believes that body as a unit is self-healing and it is the role of osteopathic medicine to work within that context. Additionally, a tenet of osteopathic medicine (similiar to surgeons) is proper structure begets proper fuction. As a result, osteopaths are trained in Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy (OMM). This training, which is not learned as an MD, includes physical manipulation (usually of the spine) to promote proper structure (hence proper blood flow, nerve function, etc etc). Lastly, osteopathic medicine at its core is more holistic than allopathic medicine. This refers to working with the patient as a whole person including physical, psychological, and enviromental factors when treating an illness.

My reference to "on the books" means that this is the inherit philosophy of osteopathic medicine. In reality, many (most?) DO's practice just like MDs (and vice versa).

Hope I helped!

-A