plzz help my test is in couple hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skim1988

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding solubility rules. I understand that G1, C2H3O2-, ClO4-, NO3-, NH4+ are soluble and that Hg, Pb, and Ag are not soluble. So why would a compound like BaCl2 be considered soluble? Also searching forums regarding solubility rules, I came across a mneumonic but I dont completely understand it.

C A S H n Gia

C is clorates, A is acetates, S is sulfates, H is halogens, n is Nitrates, and Gia is Group I A metals. ---> THESE ARE ALL SOLUBLE, XCEPT

for S: Ca, Ba, Sr.....just remember the tv network CBS
for H: Ca, Ba, Sr + Happy...whats happy? Hb Ag Pb ...mercury, silvr and lead...add a py to the end and all the first letters spell HAPPY

What do the bolded red words mean?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it...just relax before your test! What you know is what you know at this point...go for a walk, eat healthy and set a game plan. Good luck!!

it is soluble because it is ionic when put into water the positive charge of H+ will be attracted to the negative Cl- and the oxygen will be attracted to the Ba.

Now I'm dying to know if this concept was actually worth worrying about at 6am before your test...did you get that one extra question in GC?