PM&R career with hand weakness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Macattack123

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I'm a junior on the premed track. I did the premed track because I want to be a doctor (derr), but also because I know for sure that I want to work in the sciences. PM&R appealed to me in particular because of the healing aspect to the field.

Here's the catch: I injured my hand/thumb last year, and my doctor warned me that in a few years I would have less and less strength in that hand. It's my dominant hand. This is obviously a problem for medicine, which seems to be very hands-on, so to speak.

I shadowed a PM&R doc before my injury, and she didn't seem to have to do anything that would require strong/steady hands, but the shadowing opportunity only lasted a few days.

So, basically, my question is this: would substantial weakness in my dominant hand preclude me from being an excellent physiatrist? Should I be looking into a different line of work because of this?

thanks.
 
Hi guys,

I'm a junior on the premed track. I did the premed track because I want to be a doctor (derr), but also because I know for sure that I want to work in the sciences. PM&R appealed to me in particular because of the healing aspect to the field.

Here's the catch: I injured my hand/thumb last year, and my doctor warned me that in a few years I would have less and less strength in that hand. It's my dominant hand. This is obviously a problem for medicine, which seems to be very hands-on, so to speak.

I shadowed a PM&R doc before my injury, and she didn't seem to have to do anything that would require strong/steady hands, but the shadowing opportunity only lasted a few days.

So, basically, my question is this: would substantial weakness in my dominant hand preclude me from being an excellent physiatrist? Should I be looking into a different line of work because of this?

thanks.

no, you can do PM&R. there are plenty of niches within physiatry that would fit.

however, the diagnosis of "progressive hand weakness over a few years" sounds pretty fishy to me. you sure you have your cards straight?