PM&R Competitiveness 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firstaidjelly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
People are saying PM&R is competitive and looking at the 73 residency spots--they are all at large state schools and prestigious private ones--is it likely for a DO with a USMLE of 201 and a COMLEX of 410 to get a residency in PM&R? I just dont see why University of Wisconsin or Case Western would accept a DO when they get tons of applicants from MD's? Im just asking about likely e.g. 90 percent chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure who these people are that say PM&R is competitive, it is one of the most ACGME DO friendly residencies. I'd apply as broadly as possible if I was you.

PM&R is competitive and difficult to get now simply due to sheer number of spots. Anyone saying otherwise is not to be listened to. It is not Ortho or ROADs, but it is not as easy as it once was.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, I'm actually interested in pm&r. Hopefully it won't be too intense when it's residency time for me.

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

Those scores are pretty low, but when I was applying (2012-2013) it mattered more if you showed a lot of interest in the field. I do agree the field is getting more popular and competitive but it isn't "score-centric." If you do aways at realistic programs, are a cool colleague, and can showcase your interest in the field then you likely have an excellent shot. I took comlex only for step 1 and 2 and was only 30-40 points above average for both. I was never asked about scores, your only disadvantage would be most pmr programs actually know how to interpret comlex scores.

Good luck, I think you will have a good chance.

PM&R is DO friendly specialty. Therefore there is Huge competition among DOs. THis is small field even secretaries for Residency programs know each other. I know one of classmates had good board score and had 22 interview invites but did not get in. But, I do agree the specialty is still less scorecentric. However, there is huge competion among 4th year students who are rotating. For example, I know NYU PM&R programs have a lot of students rotating and you have to compete among 4th year students. I think this field is competitive in unique way because it is not too score centric but you still need to balance your ability to do well on rotations and scores should not be poor. Also, The geography plays huge factor. If you are from east coast, you will have higher chance because about 50 percent of residency programs are on east coast.