Which is more competitive (overall) for a DO applicant: PM&R vs Neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is more competitive (overall) for a DO applicant: PM&R vs Neurology?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sage of Pale Bones

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing some specialty research and was wondering which of these two specialties is more competitive.

Google tells me PM&R as it is often cited as one of the least competitive specialties having low board scores and not much interest by sources like medschoolinsiders.com and medicalaid.org.

However other sources tell me that Neuro is less competitive based on number of seats. Bemo puts PM&R up as one of the more competitive specialties up there with Neurosurg and Derm (Most Competitive & Least Competitive Residencies in 2022.) and prospectivedoctor.com puts Neruo at a 92% match rate for DO whereas PM&R is an 82% match rate for my fellow bone wizards

So what do all my big brain friends here think?

Members don't see this ad.

PMR is not up there with Neurosurgery and Derm hahahah..... no disrespect, both are not competitive specialties. I would say PMR is more competitive than Neuro tho

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with futuredoctor above. PMR and neuro are both not competitive! And nowhere near NS or Derm, like nowhere near

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
if you have good scores you can do PM&R easy. Have classmates going into PM&R who interviewed at hopkins, harvard, Mayo, Michigan etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Neither are competitive. If you randomly throw in an app for PMR however you might not match. There aren’t a lot of programs and they’re big on showing interest in the field

Both aren’t terribly competitive for an above average DO applicant. With that said, matching a brand name program is significantly more doable for PMR than Neurology.

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't looked at the numbers but like some have mentioned, if you're trying to match something last minute, PM&R would likely be harder due a lack of exposure which will look bad, I think...whereas Neurology may be forgiving of not having a dedicated 3/4th year experience. I also think it would be harder to match at a competitive program in Neurology than in PM&R if that means anything and don't think the scores/pubs/grades (metrics) most PM&R places expect are even meet the overall M4 average.

Both aren’t terribly competitive for an above average DO applicant. With that said, matching a brand name program is significantly more doable for PMR than Neurology.
How about an purely average or even slightly below average student (not saying I am that but all the SOAP treads scared me).

Matching a neurology program should be very DOable. I can’t say the same about PMR
is PMR really that competitive?? match rate was 85%+.. i know people with comlex only who matched, I think a slightly below average student could match PMR if they showed commitment and did rotations in PMR..

To be frank, I don’t know. However, I have always thought that PMR is a little more competitive than neuro simply because there are many less overall positions

is PMR really that competitive?? match rate was 85%+.. i know people with comlex only who matched, I think a slightly below average student could match PMR if they showed commitment and did rotations in PMR..
Facts. PMR>Neuro competitiveness but both are really not competitive. Avg to slightly below avg DO applicant could match PMR with strong effort. Do we ever disagree lmaoo

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
RVU has 98.2% match but no details yet.

If we're talking about matching any neurology vs PM&R program, PM&R is more competitive.
PM&R match rate is 80% for a COMLEX of 550 and below.
Neurology match rate is 93% for a COMLEX of 550 and below.

For "top" programs, PM&R is much more accessible to DOs and DOs routine match into T20 programs. Neurology is more like IM in that the T20 programs often won't ever consider a DO.