PM&R elective and Ortho Residency

Started by fozzy40
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fozzy40

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a PM&R resident with an interest in medical education. I have a quick question for everyone.

I ran across document on the ACGME website which states that

"[during an ortho intern year] a minimum of one month of structured education in at least three of the following: emergency medicine, medical/cardiac intensive
care, internal medicine, neurology, neurological surgery, pediatric
surgery or pediatrics, rheumatology, anesthesiology,
musculoskeletal imaging, and rehabilitation; and, a maximum of three months of orthopaedic surgery."

My questions are:
1) Is PM&R offered as an elective/selective at your institution?
2) What are common electives/selectives ortho residents complete to satisfy this requirement?

Thanks again for your help.
 
My institution does not allow time on PM&R, however I recall some schools did have a month of it during the intern year.

I would venture to say that the majority of ortho intern years are filled with various forms of general and general pediatric surgery including SICU. Institutions are variable with regards to requiring IM or MICU months or other more "medical" rotations such as neurology or rheumatology.