PM&R for a carib grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myrandom2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
as u all know, pmr has been getting more and more competitive lately...i was just wondering if there are any carib grads out there interviewing for the 2005 match...please let me know ur experiences

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you that, having sat on our admission's committee last year, the concern with FMG and US-IMGs is that in general, there is a lower Step 3 pass rate. This is not meant as a disparaging comment, but simply a statement of the facts, as I know them.

As Louisiana is a state where you can not go into your PGY-3 year untill you have passsed Step 3, this is a big deal. Thus US grads who passed Steps 1&2 on the first try are given preference, at least in my program.

One of the program coordinators I spoke to said that she makes the first cutoff at Step 1 & 2 at around 80, having passed on the first try. This was at an average sized program in a smaller city. Top programs, in larger cities may be even more selective.

Members don't see this ad :)
buddy 2004 said:
One of the program coordinators I spoke to said that she makes the first cutoff at Step 1 & 2 at around 80, having passed on the first try. This was at an average sized program in a smaller city. Top programs, in larger cities may be even more selective.

Do you think PD's make the cuts on board scores before choosing candidates to interview or before ranking candidates? I ask this because I was invited to several interviews at pretty solid programs but I have very average to below average scores on my boards. I was wondering if they may use this fact as a way of ranking?

:eek:

TreeOfLife said:
Do you think PD's make the cuts on board scores before choosing candidates to interview or before ranking candidates? I ask this because I was invited to several interviews at pretty solid programs but I have very average to below average scores on my boards. I was wondering if they may use this fact as a way of ranking?

:eek:

i have heard, but this may not be fact, that many programs have a score system, so that after you interview you are scored based on: personality, exposure to the feild, research/publications, grades, recommendations, and board scores. some programs may give more wgt to one or the other, but i think in rehab, exposure to the field, recommendations, and personality can go far.

chauffeur said:
i have heard, but this may not be fact, that many programs have a score system, so that after you interview you are scored based on: personality, exposure to the feild, research/publications, grades, recommendations, and board scores. some programs may give more wgt to one or the other, but i think in rehab, exposure to the field, recommendations, and personality can go far.

I have heard the same thing. I know some places just get together and rank'em in February.

NF

normalforce said:
I have heard the same thing. I know some places just get together and rank'em in February.

NF

actually, i have seen some type of score sheet right in front of me during interviews. it is a little stressing to see people jotting down numbers as you are answering their questions.

is anyone else out there tired of people asking you questions and not making eye contact with you as they read your file; it makes it difficult to answer anything enthusiastically. i wonder if they are even paying attention.

chauffeur said:

This is fact.

chauffeur said:
actually, i have seen some type of score sheet right in front of me during interviews. it is a little stressing to see people jotting down numbers as you are answering their questions.

is anyone else out there tired of people asking you questions and not making eye contact with you as they read your file; it makes it difficult to answer anything enthusiastically. i wonder if they are even paying attention.

:laugh:

You'd think Physiatrists would be more personable than most doctors in other specialties. In some cases, I guess not.

I wasn't involved in conducting interviews this year,
but I will say (and this is obviously a gross oversimplification of the process) that only three things matter to me in selecting a candidate.

1. Will this candidate work hard and do a good job?
2. Is this candidate "weird"?
3. Is candidate an a**hole?

If the answers are yes, no, and no, then they're okay in my book.
:laugh:

By the end of this decade, how do you think that things in this field be looking?? I know it is too far away to make an accurate prediction, but do you think that this field will be up there with Dermatology, Opthomology, and Ortho as being out of range for FMGs?

It may be more competitive to match in the future...but it's not unheard of for FMGs to match in those fields above. So, I doubt that PM&R will be any different.