• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

PM&R for IMG/FMG

picolo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2005
  1. Attending Physician
    hi everyone,
    i am a foreign medical graduate interested in PM&R residency, i want to find about FMG friendly PM&R programs (specially in NJ, NY), and their minimum requirments (USMLE scores , US clinical experience ,...) ,and if they provide opportunities for observership...
    could anyone help me please ??
    thanks

cyanocobalamin

M4
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Feb 13, 2005
    somewhere between Jackman and Spartanburg
    1. Medical Student
      picolo said:
      hi everyone,
      i am a foreign medical graduate interested in PM&R residency, i want to find about FMG friendly PM&R programs (specially in NJ, NY), and their minimum requirments (USMLE scores , US clinical experience ,...) ,and if they provide opportunities for observership...
      thanks

I think NJ may be tough, there are only two programs. UMDNJ-NJMS (frequently called Kessler) has one IMG in their 3 classes - most of their residents are from UMDNJ-NJMS, and UMDNJ-RWJMS (aka JFKJRI) has none in their 3 classes (about half of their residents are from UMDNJ-RWJMS).

NY has more opportunities, as it is the state with the most programs.

picolo

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Nov 12, 2005
      1. Attending Physician
        thanks cyanocobalamin,do u think i can get observership in those programs ?or may be you have any advise for me to increase my chance ?
        thanks a lot

About the Ads

euroboy98

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Feb 5, 2005
          NY is definitely your best option. I know for a fact that, at least, Columbia/Cornell and Mt. Sinai have offered observerships in the recent past (within the last year). Try to contact their program coordinators; FREIDA is a good option. Hope this helps!

TreeOfLife

7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Mar 4, 2004
            euroboy98 said:
            NY is definitely your best option. I know for a fact that, at least, Columbia/Cornell and Mt. Sinai have offered observerships in the recent past (within the last year). Try to contact their program coordinators; FREIDA is a good option. Hope this helps!

what is an observership?

parmed

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Mar 23, 2005
              TreeOfLife said:
              what is an observership?
              It is very similar to a clinical rotation, however the observer, is usually a graduate already and can not be involved in any clinical care. He/she literally "observes" and participates academically during their time with the team.

parmed

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Mar 23, 2005
                picolo said:
                hi everyone,
                thanks

Hi Picolo,

I did a clinical rotation at Albert Einstein in the Bronx and during my time there, I met with about 2 to 3 people who were doing observerships there. I would definitely think about approaching AECOM first.

Good luck. Oh also, I believe Harvard/Spaulding allows people to do observerships, however they have a pretty steep fee for them. I would check their website for more details.

picolo

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Nov 12, 2005
                1. Attending Physician
                  thanks euroboy98 and thanks parmed ,

this is really helpfull ,,,i asked kessler for observership and they actually told me that they don't have such thing , and told me i have to have malpractice insurance coverage , well as know an observer is not allwoed to touch the patients , then how possibly i have to be insured !!???

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.