PM&R for IMG/FMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

picolo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
i am a foreign medical graduate interested in PM&R residency, i want to find about FMG friendly PM&R programs (specially in NJ, NY), and their minimum requirments (USMLE scores , US clinical experience ,...) ,and if they provide opportunities for observership...
could anyone help me please ??
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

picolo said:
hi everyone,
i am a foreign medical graduate interested in PM&R residency, i want to find about FMG friendly PM&R programs (specially in NJ, NY), and their minimum requirments (USMLE scores , US clinical experience ,...) ,and if they provide opportunities for observership...
thanks

I think NJ may be tough, there are only two programs. UMDNJ-NJMS (frequently called Kessler) has one IMG in their 3 classes - most of their residents are from UMDNJ-NJMS, and UMDNJ-RWJMS (aka JFKJRI) has none in their 3 classes (about half of their residents are from UMDNJ-RWJMS).

NY has more opportunities, as it is the state with the most programs.

thanks cyanocobalamin,do u think i can get observership in those programs ?or may be you have any advise for me to increase my chance ?
thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
NY is definitely your best option. I know for a fact that, at least, Columbia/Cornell and Mt. Sinai have offered observerships in the recent past (within the last year). Try to contact their program coordinators; FREIDA is a good option. Hope this helps!

euroboy98 said:
NY is definitely your best option. I know for a fact that, at least, Columbia/Cornell and Mt. Sinai have offered observerships in the recent past (within the last year). Try to contact their program coordinators; FREIDA is a good option. Hope this helps!

what is an observership?

TreeOfLife said:
what is an observership?
It is very similar to a clinical rotation, however the observer, is usually a graduate already and can not be involved in any clinical care. He/she literally "observes" and participates academically during their time with the team.

picolo said:
hi everyone,
thanks

Hi Picolo,

I did a clinical rotation at Albert Einstein in the Bronx and during my time there, I met with about 2 to 3 people who were doing observerships there. I would definitely think about approaching AECOM first.

Good luck. Oh also, I believe Harvard/Spaulding allows people to do observerships, however they have a pretty steep fee for them. I would check their website for more details.

thanks euroboy98 and thanks parmed ,

this is really helpfull ,,,i asked kessler for observership and they actually told me that they don't have such thing , and told me i have to have malpractice insurance coverage , well as know an observer is not allwoed to touch the patients , then how possibly i have to be insured !!???