PM&R "Friendly" Anesthesia Pain Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed in my application process that a few anesthesia run pain fellowships encourage PM&R applicants. Some even reserve a "non-anesthesia" spot for PM&R or Neuro. Most, however, do not do the above.

Would any of you care to share which anesthesia run pain fellowships like/encourage PM&R applicants? There is no reliable source of such information to my knowlege.

Thanks! Ligament

Members don't see this ad.

I too would like some input on the above question.

Currently, I don't even know the situation at my own institution.

Not yet anyway.

You need to call and ask the program director at every program you're interested in applying to. Also ask about their track record for taking non-anesthesia residents in their programs. Do they make any "accomodations" for PM&R or neuro residents? Be persistent.

New ACGME requirements will specify a specific number of directly observed intubations, IV starts, and other skills for non-anesthesia residents. Many programs will allow non-anesthesia residents to burn an elective acquiring advanced airway, IV access, and ACLS/ATLS skills while the anesthesia residents spend a month in ortho/PM&R/musculoskeletal clinic learning physical exam. Others "strongly encourage" you acquire these skills before starting which can be difficult if you're limited in electives in your PM&R residency. If you do have the option of doing this, contact the anesthesia program director at your institution and say you want to set up an elective in anesthesia acquiring some basic skills (intubations in the OR in the AM, hanging out in the PACU doing IV starts) or any kind of CA-1 level anesthesia "scut work" you can get your hands on. You will likely be welcomed with wide open arms and the experience will pay you dividends.

Epidural and others might have more to add on this topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a fellow at a program in the south and I know that the program director is going to be looking at taking one fellow from some other field than anesthesia.

Loma Linda Univ's pain fellowship is anesthesia based, but is friendly towards PM&R. There are 4 total fellows and this year 2 of us are PMR. The pain fellowship is ACGME certified, and the attendings that you work with are anesthesia/pain trained. However for some reason that I'm not totally sure of, it is under the umbrella of PMR and Dr. Brandstater (PMR chair) is technically in charge of pain (Dr. Brandstater's a big name in PM&R). Dr. Reynolds is the pain director and in charge of the pain service, and he is the main one involved in the fellowship.

Over the last two years, both the Cleveland Clinic and the Case Western Reserve University programs have taken PM&R residents.

Good luck to all!