pm&r job availability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hirurg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats the deal with pm&r? it seems like a good specialty. ive heard its a low-stress field. the money is decent. i want to go into into pm&R, but i dont hear much about job opportunities. is it hard to attain a job after completing a residency?

most med students dont know much about pm&r. the number of residencies is pm&r is limited. so, r the number of jobs limited? are the jobs located in a specific part of the country, because in connecticut, i dont hear much about it.

Members don't see this ad.

The AAPM&R has a Physiatrists' Job Clearing House that is available only to members (most residency programs will pay for your membership). Anyway, someone printed out a list of jobs in the Northeast today and it is fifteen pages long. There are three offers in CT located in New Haven, Hartford, and Wallingford. When I did a month in the Pain Clinics at Yale, they were actively looking for Physiatrists too. Many of the jobs in PM&R are not listed in journals such as NEJM, JAMA, etc. The jobs tend to be listed/offered in PM&R journals, websites, and at conferences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about jobs in PMR, there are plenty if you have the right training.
If you have musculoskeletal, EMG and interventional skills there won't be a problem. In our program, traditionally everyone has gone where they want to.

What are some of the starting salaries for a Northeast Physiatrist looking to practice Interventional Sports/Spine.... what would you say the average starting salary is. And is this similar to Physiatry/Pain starting salaries... (on average).

What are some of the starting salaries for a Northeast Physiatrist looking to practice Interventional Sports/Spine.... what would you say the average starting salary is. And is this similar to Physiatry/Pain starting salaries... (on average).

That is a very difficult question to answer. What do you mean by Interventional Sports/spine? In what practice environment (academic vs. private practice)? Are you going to work for a PM&R group, multispecialty group, or ortho group? What size group? Do you want to be employed, salaried with bonus, or straight fee for service (eat what you kill)? What is call like? What part of the NE (is it a saturated market)? What are the practice expenses.

All of these issues come into play. In general I can say that most Physiatrists make >150K/yr regardless of situation. Some make >300K-400K. They work harder and do more interventions/EMG.

whats the deal with pm&r? it seems like a good specialty. ive heard its a low-stress field. .

Don't get fooled. The 2nd year of inpt rehab can be overwhelming, and this is the case no matter where in the country you end up training. Very high burn out rate. I speak from personal experience.

Well, I imagine that those physiatrists with inadequate skills and training combined with poor attitudes and lazy work ethics have much difficulty finding a job.

Can you please define inadequate skills & training, poor attitudes, and lazyness.. Thanks.. Just curious to know ...

Last edited:
ah.. I should be more specific I suppose. Lets tease apart the question little by little..

"salaried with bonus, or straight fee for service "

which of these two options would you prefer? pros and cons?

ah.. I should be more specific I suppose. Lets tease apart the question little by little..

"salaried with bonus, or straight fee for service "

which of these two options would you prefer? pros and cons?

As someone in solo practice in a rural community, I prefer seeing physicians brought to our community with a salary guarantee with straight fee for service. That encourages hard work (the more you work, the more you make.) In those type situations (again RURAL), most hospitals nationwide set the income guarantee at 200K/yr. That is a very fair amt. and while not the easiest to make in 1 yr., it is easy to exceed that in yr. 2. The cons are that this type of opportunity rarely exists in urban areas, since there are very few underserved urban areas.

Salaried positions encourage people to do as little as possible to keep your contract. Otherwise, you end up feeding a lot of money to your bosses. However, it does give added security, since you won't panic when things get slow (like my office has in January every single year!).

Can you please define inadequate skills & training, poor attitudes, and lazyness.. Thanks.. Just curious to know ...

Its like they say in poker; if you don't know who the sucker at the table is then watch out because its probably you.

:scared::laugh:

As someone in solo practice in a rural community, I prefer seeing physicians brought to our community with a salary guarantee with straight fee for service. That encourages hard work (the more you work, the more you make.) In those type situations (again RURAL), most hospitals nationwide set the income guarantee at 200K/yr. That is a very fair amt. and while not the easiest to make in 1 yr., it is easy to exceed that in yr. 2. The cons are that this type of opportunity rarely exists in urban areas, since there are very few underserved urban areas.

Salaried positions encourage people to do as little as possible to keep your contract. Otherwise, you end up feeding a lot of money to your bosses. However, it does give added security, since you won't panic when things get slow (like my office has in January every single year!).

Just curious, when people in the medical field talk about working in a rural area, just how "rural" do they mean?

For example, Im from the south east and live in a suburb of a decent sized city, but if you drove 35 minutes in any direction you would be out in the country. In general how far away from bigger cities do you need to be to be considered rural as far as the things you mentioned above being true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its like they say in poker; if you don't know who the sucker at the table is then watch out because its probably you.

:scared::laugh:

It couldn't possibly be me. I worked between 70-85 hours per week as an intern and 2nd year PM&R resident. I also scored well in my intrainings (>40 th %tile). I know that hard work and intraining scores, are not the only things that make a good clinician/physiatrist, but they are a good start...

Just curious, when people in the medical field talk about working in a rural area, just how "rural" do they mean?

For example, Im from the south east and live in a suburb of a decent sized city, but if you drove 35 minutes in any direction you would be out in the country. In general how far away from bigger cities do you need to be to be considered rural as far as the things you mentioned above being true?

^this

Rural is a relative term. Some would say that anything outside of NYC, and Manhattan in particular, qualifies as “rural”. :smuggrin:

Yeah Im starting to come to the realization that many of the people who say stuff like "Doctors don't make any money anymore" only plan to live in places like NYC or other really expensive places. Even a modest MD salary of 130k/year is practically a fortune in most of the country.

Yeah Im starting to come to the realization that many of the people who say stuff like "Doctors don't make any money anymore" only plan to live in places like NYC or other really expensive places. Even a modest MD salary of 130k/year is practically a fortune in most of the country.

That is why I live where I live. I live in an area where land costs $2000/acre. Home building materials are the lowest in the nation. I make a good living, and save 50-75% of what I earn. I am 45min from Tulsa, and 3 hrs from Dallas. I OWN my own building, so my corp. pays rent to myself. Since I am a small business owner, my retirement is a SEP-IRA which allows me to put away 25% of my income away tax-free.

Oh, and I live on Indian land which allows me to depreciate equiptment in as little as 1 year (ask an accountant what that means!).

^ Yes, but can you get good sushi there? :D

Since they are required to freeze the fish before hand in the U.S., there isn't as MUCH as a difference as one would expect. I've noticed the major differences have been in the rice prep and general skill. :p I've had pretty good sushi in the midwest and pretty horrible sushi in NYC, SF, Miami and D.C.!

Jobs are available. There are plenty of areas of the country that are hurting for good physiatrists. I found a job willing to offer salary guarantee to start a practice. All they want is support for their inpatient unit (18 bed max, shared with one other physiatrist). The area is somewhat "rural", but it is basically on the outskirts of a metropolitan area of about 1M. I don't know yet if it meets the "sushi test" (Funny how that seems to be a somewhat universal criterion), but would imagine it does with a major university in the city.

So as a pgy3 i am now starting to start (lol) looking for a job. I pretty much know what I want. I have a physical limitation that doesnt allow me to run private practice outpatient full time ( its hard to be fast as a dystonic) so I usually burn out by day 3 of an office rotation seeing about 20-30 pts, mix of emg, (2-4) lots of chronic pain, injections (non interventional) and the usual weekend athlete thing. I have a tremendous interest in teaching, had it all my life. So , I am starting to feel out either med schools or residency programs or more academically centered (not strictly research) places to start off attending life. I am most interested initially in job security and do eventually plan on having my own practice a few days a week... so the question... am I barking up the wrong tree by looking more into teaching gigs or should I try other things as well? (btw, burned out i dont mean mentally, i mean, I need to sit for about 20 min/hr at least so my neck/back get a physical break)

thoughts? suggestions? flames??? :p

So as a pgy3 i am now starting to start (lol) looking for a job. I pretty much know what I want. I have a physical limitation that doesnt allow me to run private practice outpatient full time ( its hard to be fast as a dystonic) so I usually burn out by day 3 of an office rotation seeing about 20-30 pts, mix of emg, (2-4) lots of chronic pain, injections (non interventional) and the usual weekend athlete thing. I have a tremendous interest in teaching, had it all my life. So , I am starting to feel out either med schools or residency programs or more academically centered (not strictly research) places to start off attending life. I am most interested initially in job security and do eventually plan on having my own practice a few days a week... so the question... am I barking up the wrong tree by looking more into teaching gigs or should I try other things as well? (btw, burned out i dont mean mentally, i mean, I need to sit for about 20 min/hr at least so my neck/back get a physical break)

thoughts? suggestions? flames??? :p

Sounds like a plan. You know what you like, you know your limitations. God knows we all could use a few more passionate teachers. What are your clinical interests? If you pursue academia, and aren’t that interested in research, it will still help if you eventually develop some sort of clinical niche.

Sounds like a plan. You know what you like, you know your limitations. God knows we all could use a few more passionate teachers. What are your clinical interests? If you pursue academia, and aren’t that interested in research, it will still help if you eventually develop some sort of clinical niche.

clinical interests : non interventional pain, movement dissorders, general msk, neurorehab (BI but in a neurehab fellowship maybe, combining cord , stroke and BI) and since Im an OMM guy, OMM :p

but without a fellowship all I seem to be getting is " general rehab floor"

are there other web sites besides physicanworks.com for physiatrist jobs