DOctorJay

15+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Any job interview you go on should have expenses paid. Don't use a recruiter who will eat your bonus.

AndyDufrane

15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
I would be wary of using a recruiter, even in inhouse recruiters, or even VA recruiters, first they try to sell you a job that really may not fit you , just to get you to go on an interview, and then you never hear back from them, I guess they must get paid by how many people they get to come to interview. my experience with many types of recruiters has been useless, besides, they may take a chunk of your bonus. overall, I feel like recruiters are up there with used car salespeople, and real estate agents in terms of what to expect, they are in it just to make a deal , not really whether it fits you or not. my suggestion is use your residency alumni network, look in medical journals, or even try cold calling.

Taus

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status
Attending Physician
Echoing the above- my residency and fellowship alumni lists were BY FAR the most fruitful way of finding job opportunities. Personal connections I made over the years were also very helpful. Even if they don't have jobs to offer themselves, they may know the lay of the land and who to talk to where you are looking. I was fairly restricted in terms of location (in/around Philly) and only looking for pain/msk. I actually found absolutely nothing good through recruiters, online incl aapmr, stim reps, etc. Thankfully it all worked out well in the end. Good luck.

Louisville04

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Any job interview you go on should have expenses paid. Don't use a recruiter who will eat your bonus.
Ideally you would expect that. However, I have seen ones that just buy you lunch :(

If you are interested in a VA job, go to usajobs.gov and search for physiatrist.

DOctorJay

15+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Ideally you would expect that. However, I have seen ones that just buy you lunch :(

If you are interested in a VA job, go to usajobs.gov and search for physiatrist.
Not worth your time then. That alone should send a clear message of how you can expect to be treated.

SSdoc33

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
this woman's nice enough

http://www.farrhealthcare.com/

there are about 3 PM&R recruiters out there, and they basically hear about jobs the same way we all do, but she might be able to give you a little insight. however, a lot of the jobs are academic/inpatient

jonnylingo

10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I had a good experience with a recruiter, still got a nice bonus, PM me for details.

Xardas

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 29, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Recruiters do serve a purpose and should not be summarily dismissed as not being able to serve your needs only serving their needs. Case in point I utilized a recruiter to land me where I am now and have done well here for going on 3 years. The recruiter I used got me a lot more than when I used my alumni list as someone suggested - and I graduated from one of the biggest programs. So its a mixed bag both ways :)

Ultimately you have to do your due diligence when you use a recruiter to see if the jobs they have lined up match what you want.

Even if you didn't use a recruiter and used 'word of mouth' you have to do the same too.

Here's what you have to watch out for with a recruiter; by the time jobs end up using recruiters, if its the big city its because there is some sort of red flag that makes the locals not want to join up. I.e. recruiters being used for a big job in say Dallas or Denver.

Otherwise where a lot of recruiters make their money is in smaller cities, larger towns or farther off suburbs of larger cities, i.e. jobs that don't just fill themselves.

At that point you need to ask yourself what is it you awnt out of life. I can pretty much tell you that the less competition you have the more potential you have for compensation.

Feel free to private message me for any further questions. Best of luck