PM & R -- Pain Management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have heard MUCH talk about the ability to do Pain Management once one graduates from PM & R residency. This sounds cool, but...

When I looked on Freida, there is ONE (yes, one) ACGME-accredited Pain Management fellowship for PM & R. Something is fishy here. There are like 80 for Anes.

What is going on here?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi bigfrank,

There are many people who can comment on that, but it does show u that the pathway to pain management, especially INTERVENTIONAL, is thru anesth. run fellowships. Considering they will not want to lose any ground in this "turf war" it is not hard to figure out who they will favor when filling out these fellowships!!

Definetly not fair, but I wouldn't pass them to SERIOUSLY favor MDA's over PM&Rs for these spots now and in the future UNLESS PM&R does some serious lobbying to start running some of these pain clinics.

Originally posted by bigfrank:
Hello everyone. I have heard MUCH talk about the ability to do Pain Management once one graduates from PM & R residency. This sounds cool, but...

When I looked on Freida, there is ONE (yes, one) ACGME-accredited Pain Management fellowship for PM & R. Something is fishy here. There are like 80 for Anes.

What is going on here?

Physiatrists and anesthesiologists apply for the same pain fellowships...which programs take which applicants depends upon the priorities and philosophy of the program. There are also fellowships available strictly through PM&R. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.aapmr.org/memphys/felsearch.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
Spaulding has its own Interventional Pain Fellowship which is run by Harvard's PM&R Department. I'm not sure why the program isn't listed, but it is accredited by the ACGME. Also, the PM&R department at Loma Linda has a Interventional Pain Fellowship as well. There are also many programs that are jointly run but are listed as an Anesthesia program (UC Davis comes to mind). Part of the reason that there are fewer accredited Pain fellowships in PM&R is because you weren't required to do an accredited one in the past to be boarded in Pain Medicine. However, starting in 2005, this will change. With this change, many of the non-accredited fellowships will apply for accreditation.

As an update, one of our PGY-4s was just offered the combined Adult/Pediatric Anesthesia Pain Fellowship at Longwood's program. This program is pretty competitive and offers training at Harvard's major teaching hospitals and allows for great exposure to both the Peds and Adult population. Anyway, I don't think Anesthesiologists (at least the ones in charge of the fellowships) view it as a turf war; many of the directors just want to find the best candidate for the position. Having both PM&R and Anesthesia fellows in a fellowship program is ideal in my mind. Both have a set of skills and knowledge that they can teach one another and the residents in the department. Here's the link to the fellowship program:

Children's Hospital Boston

Also, I think I've mentioned this before, but one of the Pain fellows this year at MGH's Anesthesia Department is one of our PM&R graduates.

Originally posted by drusso
Physiatrists and anesthesiologists apply for the same pain fellowships...which programs take which applicants depends upon the priorities and philosophy of the program.

i have heard that it is possible to apply for a pain management fellowship after completing a psychiatry or a neurology residency. any validity to this as possible routes to pain management?

Here's an updated list of PM&R-run, ACGME-accredited pain management fellowship programs.

LIST OF ACGME APPROVED PM&R RUN PAIN FELLOWSHIPS:

[3410531003] VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System Program
Greater Los Angeles Veteran Affairs Health Care System
11301 Wilshire Boulevard (w117)
Los Angeles, CA 90073
Pain Management (PM) Quynh Pham, MD (310)268-4935
[email protected]

[3411222008] Emory University Program/Georgia Pain Physicians
2550 Windy Hill Road, Suite 215
Marietta, GA 30067
Pain Management (PM) Robert E. Windsor, MD (770)850-8464
(770)850-9727

[3412312007] Sinai Hospital of Baltimore Program
York Center for Pain Management and Rehabilitation
2901 Pleasant Valley Road
York, PA 17402
Pain Management (PM) Michael B. Furman, MD, MS (717)848-4800
(717)755-9618
[email protected]

[3412412004] Harvard Medical School/Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Program
Harvard Medical School/Spaulding Rehabilitation
125 Nashua Street
Boston, MA 02114
Pain Management (PM) Mark M. Nguyen, MD (617)573-2178
(617)573-2769

[3412521006] University of Michigan Program
University of Michigan
1500 E. University Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Pain Management (PM) J. Steven Schultz, MD (734)937-7210
(734)936-7048

[3414813005] Baylor University Medical Center (Oklahoma City) Program
St. Anthony North Ambulatory Surgery Center
6205 North Santa Fe Avenue, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73118
Pain Management (PM) Michael J. Carl, MD (405)427-6776
(405)419-5646

[3415121001] Virginia Commonwealth University Health System Program
Medical College of Virginia/VA Commonwealth Univ. Program
P.O. Box 980661-0677
Richmond, VA 23298
Pain Management (PM) David X. Cifu, MD (804)828-0861
(804)828-5074
[email protected]

drusso,
can u expand on psych doing pain management?
also, i really want to thank you for the wonderful kob you are doing moderating this forum and always posting relevant info in the osteo forum. thanx. susan