PM&R Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

APDoc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a hopeful future physiatrist, just wanted to throw a question out there for discussion since I'm still a second year finding out more about the specialty each day. What do each of you find to be the the most interesting/intriguing aspect of practicing physiatry? On the other hand, what is the least interesting/boring aspect of a PM&R practice? Just interested in seeing why most of you have personally chosen to pursue the field and what your thoughts are-- thanks in advance, and I just want to say that I appreciate everyone's comments and advice on this board!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi APDoc,

I really enjoy the opportunity to think about and apply biomechanics in the treatment of my patients.

Patient: I got neck pain for 5 years.
Me: You got a short leg by 1/4inch. Here, throw this 1/4inch heel lift in yo shoe.
Patient (week later): Neck pain is gone!

I think thats pretty fun.

best, Ligament

Cool Ligament, we just learned about short leg syndrome in OMM. we even learned about a special x-ray and formula to figure out lift size. do u use that as well?
also, since i am asking, we had a really interesting lecture on Quadratus Lamborum syndrome, and i was curious if u ever see that as well.

We see "short leg syndrome" very often in PM&R. We prescribe heel lifts pretty frequently.

I know about the postural radiographs you speak of. I have not used those during residency. It seems you rarely need to. You can do a lot with your hands and eyes and feedback from the patient before you need to get a positional film. Heel lifts are VERY cheap so you can always fine tune and throw the old one away if needed.

Posture, Gait and biomechanics are VERY important in PM&R, and much of what you learn in OMM right now, you may never see again until you enter PM&R residency.

best, Ligament