• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

PM&R Practice

APDoc

15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2002
VA
    As a hopeful future physiatrist, just wanted to throw a question out there for discussion since I'm still a second year finding out more about the specialty each day. What do each of you find to be the the most interesting/intriguing aspect of practicing physiatry? On the other hand, what is the least interesting/boring aspect of a PM&R practice? Just interested in seeing why most of you have personally chosen to pursue the field and what your thoughts are-- thanks in advance, and I just want to say that I appreciate everyone's comments and advice on this board!

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
    Lifetime Donor
    15+ Year Member
  • Jan 9, 2002
    1. Attending Physician
      Hi APDoc,

I really enjoy the opportunity to think about and apply biomechanics in the treatment of my patients.

Patient: I got neck pain for 5 years.
      Me: You got a short leg by 1/4inch. Here, throw this 1/4inch heel lift in yo shoe.
      Patient (week later): Neck pain is gone!

I think thats pretty fun.

best, Ligament

Su4n2

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jul 24, 2002
        Cool Ligament, we just learned about short leg syndrome in OMM. we even learned about a special x-ray and formula to figure out lift size. do u use that as well?
        also, since i am asking, we had a really interesting lecture on Quadratus Lamborum syndrome, and i was curious if u ever see that as well.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
        Lifetime Donor
        15+ Year Member
      • Jan 9, 2002
        1. Attending Physician
          We see "short leg syndrome" very often in PM&R. We prescribe heel lifts pretty frequently.

I know about the postural radiographs you speak of. I have not used those during residency. It seems you rarely need to. You can do a lot with your hands and eyes and feedback from the patient before you need to get a positional film. Heel lifts are VERY cheap so you can always fine tune and throw the old one away if needed.

Posture, Gait and biomechanics are VERY important in PM&R, and much of what you learn in OMM right now, you may never see again until you enter PM&R residency.

best, Ligament

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.