PM&R Programs Closing Down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latinman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like every 2 to 3 years a PM&R program is shutting down. When is this going to stop? Is there any end in sight? I am scared about what the future will hold for us if this trend keeps taking place.

Members don't see this ad.

While the number of programs has reduced very slightly over the years (and the attrition rate doesn’t seem to be any different from any other specialty or subspecialty), the number of PM&R residency positions available and filled (both PGY1 categorical and PGY2 advanced) has increased steadily since 2002-2003. So we are training more physiatrists.

http://www.physiatry.org/Education_Resident_Demographics.cfm

really, I wasnt aware this was frequently happening? which programs have shut down?

While the number of programs has reduced very slightly over the years (and the attrition rate doesn’t seem to be any different from any other specialty or subspecialty), the number of PM&R residency positions available and filled (both PGY1 categorical and PGY2 advanced) has increased steadily since 2002-2003. So we are training more physiatrists.

http://www.physiatry.org/Education_Resident_Demographics.cfm

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of PM&R programs out there are a joke and should close down.

A lot of PM&R programs out there are a joke and should close down.

That would help long term to eliminate the competition...

please do tell us which programs are a joke. I thought all pm&r programs are ECFMG certified. Most or all are university affliated programs. So i am very curious which programs you think are a joke.

please do tell us which programs are a joke. I thought all pm&r programs are ECFMG certified. Most or all are university affliated programs. So i am very curious which programs you think are a joke.

I will only answer that by PM about specific programs. sorry.:(

The brand name of an institution can only take u so far. Of course coming from a "prestigious" institution generally speaking increases the likelihood of you being a competent doctor. However, I can guarantee that you will get surprised on multiple occasions through out your career.

People from "well known" institutions will miss things that will be picked up by someone who went to "Wachupita University." This is not always the trend, but the point I am trying to make is that if you work hard and put the long hours into the system, you will become a good product without regards to the name of the institution.

I worked like an animal during my first 2 years of training which might explain partially why I did so good in my intraining tests. I don't consider my institution being prestigious at all, but I played hard and got rock solid #'s to prove my knowledge base.

I forgot to mention how I lost my sanity in the process of working so hard, but that is not the topic of this thread.... ;)

The brand name of an institution can only take u so far. Of course coming from a "prestigious" institution generally speaking increases the likelihood of you being a competent doctor. However, I can guarantee that you will get surprised on multiple occasions through out your career.

People from "well known" institutions will miss things that will be picked up by someone who went to "Wachupita University." This is not always the trend, but the point I am trying to make is that if you work hard and put the long hours into the system, you will become a good product without regards to the name of the institution.

I worked like an animal during my first 2 years of training which might explain partially why I did so good in my intraining tests. I don't consider my institution being prestigious at all, but I played hard and got rock solid #'s to prove my knowledge base.

You are correct, and some of the best physicians I have encountered are either foreign grads, or trained at mediocre places.

BUT, if you meet someone who finished a PM&R program at RIC, Mayo, U Wash, Baylor Houston, or Kessler there is about a 99% chance that they are well trained. Those programs will not let the bad docs finish.

Sure someone can get lazy later in life. It happens. But when they finished, the had the ability and knowledge to be a good physician.

Certainly true as anyone can miss something at anytime. It's nice to have the reputation of a quality institution behind you though. And one that you can be sure of will be around tomorrow too. It can make a difference.

Last edited: