PM&R Refugee from EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brimcmike

brimcmike
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am currently a PGY2 resident in emergency medicine, seeking to immigrate to PM&R. Not to sound fickle, but I had to gain enough experience over enough time to have the clarity to take some pretty momentous action. I wrote off intern year as bad and ignored the badness. With 2nd year I (and my wife) noticed that I grew to dislike "home" more and more, and that outside rotations were a welcome respite. These are not good signs :scared:. I figured all this out, looked around, and found myself to be late in the ERAS cycle :eek: (the day after Thnksgiving, as a matter of fact; so, I turned on a dime, talked to my PD, coordinated with my med school from afar, powered an ERAS application into existence, got new LoRs, my Step scores, and my MSPE uploaded, within a week, while on an ICU rotation).

As an MS4, I had almost applied to PM&R, but got distracted by "the bright, shiny object" of EM, and was discouraged by the low esteem with which PM&R was held by my classmtes. So much for ego-strength :oops:.

I applied to 18 programs, I interviewed at 4. I have one process brewing outside of the Match. While, this is better than I had at first feared, given the late-stage of the game, I think that this might be it though.

I am wondering what people (particularly attendings at training programs, fellows and more senior residents) think my chances are with these numbers. What is the "Scramble" like in PM&R? How many slots generally open up due to the vagaries of the intervening prelim year? Any other possibilities?

Thanks ahead of time for any insight or advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not that many slots have opened up this year, based on postings at these forums at least. And there weren't a whole lot of unmatched positions in 2008 either.

If you haven't already done so, I'd consider sending out apps to all the ones that went unmatched the last few years, because if you can score a late interview at one of those (or at least call up the secretary, and tell them you're highly interested in coming in if there's a cancellation) you could be set for a backup at least. A lot of those programs were pretty decent and I was surprised they went unmatched. :thumbup:

PM&R has a lot of refugees. I also looked closely at EM, and loved my rotations and the schedule. But I knew myself and knew I'd be one of those who burned out early. I don't have much else to offer but encouragement. Hope it turns out well for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I'd share that I was offered an outside-the-Match PGY-2 PM&R position starting this coming July.

I have accepted it. :D

Many thanks for the help and encouragement.