pm&r residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoredawg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been a silent reader on this website for quite a while and had a few questions. I'm a Caribbean medical student, got a 212 on step 1, and was wondering what programs would accept me. I know PM&R programs are about the whole package, not just step score, so if i can get some good recom letters along with a 220+step 2 score would I be accepted at most schools. Ideally, id be looking to stay in the Chicago area, or perhaps relocate to the east coast (NY, DC, Boston, Philly) so id like to look at programs in this region. What programs have been willing to give interviews with this score sample in the chicago region and also east coast? Please let me know and thanks for the help..

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I've been a silent reader on this website for quite a while and had a few questions. I'm a Caribbean medical student, got a 212 on step 1, and was wondering what programs would accept me. I know PM&R programs are about the whole package, not just step score, so if i can get some good recom letters along with a 220+step 2 score would I be accepted at most schools. Ideally, id be looking to stay in the Chicago area, or perhaps relocate to the east coast (NY, DC, Boston, Philly) so id like to look at programs in this region. What programs have been willing to give interviews with this score sample in the chicago region and also east coast? Please let me know and thanks for the help..

Your options in the Chicago area are limited to Schwab and Marianjoy. You have a chance at RUSH as well. RIC and Loyola will be extremely difficult. To improve your chances at the Chicago programs I would highly recommend setting up rotations. Show up early, work harder than the other medical students, help the primary team, ask questions, read, show interest, be pleasant and get LOR's. NYC is easier for FMGs. Other options in the area are University of Indiana, UW- Madison and Medical College of Wisconsin. Best of luck.

Your options in the Chicago area are limited to Schwab and Marianjoy. You have a chance at RUSH as well. RIC and Loyola will be extremely difficult.

What step 1 score would be competitive for RIC and Loyola?

What step 1 score would be competitive for RIC and Loyola?

That is a difficult question to answer. You can have stellar Step 1 scores and not be invited to interview if your application is devoid of LORs from PM&R, PM&R elective rotation etc. Per the match data from 2011 the Mean USMLE Step 1 score for matched US Senior was 214 and for unmatched it was 195. While for matched "independent" applicant was 212 and unmatched was 203.
In 2011 only 3 US senior applicants with a score above 220 who did not match.
While there were 14 "independent" applicants over 220 who did not match. Even a score of 251 left one "independent" unmatched.
To sum it up its hard to say what the ideal score will be for RIC or Loyola but with a complete application(PS showing interest in PM&R, a few PM&R related extracurricular activities, elective rotations and LORs) and a Step 1 score of 220 above you should at least get an interview invite.