PM&R rotation books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvrsumr

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know any good(short) books for PM&R rotation?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Here are a couple that I liked, but it also depends on what setting your rotation will mostly be in. Inpatient? Outpatient?

Garrison SJ (Ed). (1995). The Handbook of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Basics. Lippincott.

PM&R Secrets might be helpful too.

Hope this helps!!! Know your anatomy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also recommend: Chronic Disease and Disability: A Contemporay Rehabilitation Approach to Medical Practice by Hays

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0939957469/qid=1023740334/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-6670427-7978220" target="_blank">Click Here</a>

Any recent book recommendations? Just started my PM&R rotation a few days ago and I'm looking for a relatively thin book to use for reference - I've seen fellows with the Pocketpedia; is this any good for a med student? I've also seen docs with the PM&R Board Review book - it looks pretty big though. I am basically looking for a text that is easy to read, not extremely detailed, and covers the key points one should take away from Adult PM&R. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Choi pocketpedia
Frontera's book which you might have access to online
Secrets

I think Choi is a great book.... but might be a little too light on the explanations for a med student.

I'm not familiar w/ the other small pocketbooks, but I thought Secrets was very helpful for me as a med student - ie each chapter is relatively brief, but gave enough details and explanations to allow me to really take something away from it and apply info to the rotation. I would also rec that you go to a medical book store and check out a bunch of them to decide what will suit you.

I agree with Taus. I read the relevant secrets chapters when I was at home and then had Choi in my pocket to read when there was downtime. Secrets definitely has enough detail that you will at least be thinking about the right questions. Choi is great to refresh certain topics and there is a muscle innervation chart (page 3 or 4 I think) which is great to quiz yourself with when you have downtime (plus its a good size to stash in your pockets).

Any suggestions for a good clinical anatomy review?
If you can still find it (it should be in most libraries)

Kendall & McCreary, MUSCLES, Testing and function
is a great functional anatomy book. Last I checked, it was out of print. My copy is shared with my wife who had it from OT school (she graduated in 1989) It is geared towards PT and OT students, but is still my go to book after 15yrs in practice.

books

I've been really impressed by (and reliant on) Netters Concise Orthopedic Anatomy, by JC Thompson, only about 55 on amazon. Has great pictures, injection techniques, clinical corrlelation, xray and MRI images and how to interpret. It's really been helpful for me in my quest to learn MSK, and isn't very heavy. I have the Essentials too and it's also very helpful

If you can still find it (it should be in most libraries)

Kendall & McCreary, MUSCLES, Testing and function
is a great functional anatomy book. Last I checked, it was out of print. My copy is shared with my wife who had it from OT school (she graduated in 1989) It is geared towards PT and OT students, but is still my go to book after 15yrs in practice.

Hate to sound like an idiot, but I'm wondering how this book compares to this one. Are they covering the same topics or not?

Last edited:
Hate to sound like an idiot, but I'm wondering how this book compares to this one. Are they covering the same topics or not?
Same basic topics from a different slant. Hoppenfeld is written by a spine surgeon. It was MY go to book during residency. It is a great book.

Kendall is (was) a PT book. If you ever spent time in a PT clinic, you will see that they muscle test differently than most physicians.

As I have aged, I have found myself testing muscles more like a PT, especially when seeing athletes.

One more thing.

If you are using these old muscle testing Physical exam books (Hoppenfeld, Kendall, etc.) DO NOT EXPECT MYOTOME ACCURACY. Their data for spinal innervation of muscles is inaccurate. You really need to use Perotto or other EMG books for that stuff.