PM&R Sports Medicine Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am applying for sports medicine fellowship currently.
I know there are 11 PM&R based sports. Will you be able to enlighten me with either...

1) by characterizing each PM&R based program

or

2) by suggesting those "hybrid" programs that have taken PM&R in the past / or a good fit for residents graduating from PM&R although it is FP based.

Any help would be appreciated.
:love:

Members don't see this ad.

examples of characterization maybe something like...

Mayo is known for MSK US experience.
RIC program has strong emphasis on research.
etc...

Thank you!

I believe I heard there will be 14 PM&R sports fellowships.
The truth is that they are all "New" to ACGME. The rules for ACGME are different from the way fellowships used to be run in the past and everybody is adjusting to them. You can't overemphasize research or US or event coverage. You have to meet core components and topics as mandated by the ACGME. The goal is to ensure they are all homogenous.

You should look more at the final result - where do the grads go and what do they do? And line up your goals with those. i.e. stay in academics, do research, go into private practice, team physician for ncaa division 1 schools, cover pro sports, work for olympics, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Key thing to ask up front is how much of their time is spent dealing with spine issues.

Many of the big-name ACGME PMR sport fellowships still have you seeing spine patients 75% of your time in clinic, which is not why you spend another year in training to do a sports medicine fellowship. This does evolves a bit as they become accredited, so how things were 3 years ago isn't necessarily the same now.

You should ask each program would be what % of your clinical time is spent seeing spine patients. 25% is fine particularly if your fellowship teaches you basic lumbar interventions, but most of these programs include far less sports and a lot more spine than they would care to admit. 75% spine is common.

Hi Gauss, I know there are 11 of them.
Mayo
Stanford
UC Davis
National Rehab Hospital/Georgetown program
Washington Univ. St Louis
Univ of Washington
Spaulding
Sinai Baltimore
RIC
Emory
Med College of Wisconsin

You are saying there are 3 more???

Utah has a PM&R spot I believe
UIC tends to alternate between PM&R and primary care

Hi Gauss, I know there are 11 of them.
Mayo
Stanford
UC Davis
National Rehab Hospital/Georgetown program
Washington Univ. St Louis
Univ of Washington
Spaulding
Sinai Baltimore
RIC
Emory
Med College of Wisconsin

You are saying there are 3 more???

I was only aware of 12 PM&R sports spots as well...adding Utah to your list. I would also like to know the upcoming other two PM&R sports programs. From AMSSM and AAP i know Dr. Brand at Swedish in Seattle is trying to get his Sports and Spine program ACGME accredited. So that could be one, but won't be accredited for this match round.

Majority of PM&R sports programs have reputation for excellent training and faculty mentors (albeit with varied focus on spine, US, sports coverage etc as mentioned above). I think most fellowship programs vary in their experiences and focuses much akin to the variety and scope of the PM&R training residents receive. Applicants just have to choose the programs that fit them and their career goals as no one program can offer everything, although some do a nice job of exposure to the breadth of primary care, orthopedic, and rehabilitation sports medicine. I know there is a big push for diagnostic and interventional US to be a required competency and testable material for sports boards from conversations and discussions at AMSSM this year.

I heard the number 14 in AMSSM fellowship committee meeting, 2 are applying currently I think.

I heard the number 14 in AMSSM fellowship committee meeting, 2 are applying currently I think.

Did they say which programs were applying? Just curious.

Last edited:
I noticed on the AAPM&R fellowship database that the fellowships run by Dr Gotlin and Dr Bodor were applying for ACGME accreditation. Any word on those? Would love to have a whole bunch more in time for me to apply - haha!

I noticed on the AAPM&R fellowship database that the fellowships run by Dr Gotlin and Dr Bodor were applying for ACGME accreditation. Any word on those? Would love to have a whole bunch more in time for me to apply - haha!

Wow. It would be great if Brodors was approved.

Wow. It would be great if Brodors was approved.

To past/current applicants:

What do you think was/is the strength of your application?
Personal statement? Research Experience? Sports Coverage? Board Scores? SAE scores?
What do you feel is the most important part of / less important part of applications?
Your response can all be in your own opinion, does not have to be based on what it actually is...