Pmcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaybeMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, is there an official Pre- MCAT? You know sort of like an equivalent to the PSAT. If not, there should be.

Members don't see this ad.

What function would that serve? So that premeds can obsess over another test? This time one that means absolutely nothing? :D

I think the pre-MCAT is called college. :)

-RA

It would serve the same function as the PSAT does, to prepare students for the actual test in a test taking environment. I don't know what anybody thinks, but I think an official PMCAT would definitely help students to prepare for the actual test. Just like the PSAT does for students who want to take the SAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also think they should add the PDAT and the PLSAT and the PGRE.

Now that I think about it...they should also add the PUSMLE and have one for each step.

although this is a function of the PSAT, it is not the only and perhaps the most important function. the PSAT is really a competition amongst high school kids across america, to allow an opportunity for those who can to score high on it to be called "national merit scholars". however, it does resemble the SAT and can help somewhat for preparation for it. having a pre-mcat is not feasible because you need advanced knowledge in order to be able to tackle the science sections effectively (organic chemistry, general chemistry, etc) and right out of high school not many students have this type of experience. by the time you enter college and have taken these requirements, it is already time for you to take the real mcat, so it would be a waste of time. the PSAT, however is given in the junior year of high school, and thus is a year early and makes sense.

Originally posted by MaybeMD
It would serve the same function as the PSAT does, to prepare students for the actual test in a test taking environment. I don't know what anybody thinks, but I think an official PMCAT would definitely help students to prepare for the actual test. Just like the PSAT does for students who want to take the SAT.

I don't think it's feasible to have PMCAT. If we look at SATS, it was only a 3 hour test. The PSAT was like 2 hours. If the MCATs is 8 hours, would the PMCAt be around 6 hours? Would someone want to dish out $100 on a PMCAT if it doesn't count and also takes up a lot of time? another motivation for the PSAT was the national merit competition where students who scored in 99% had chance to win $2000 or more. That was the crux of the PSAT. If amcas started giving out money to those in 99% pmcat scores, then it would be another story....

Personally, I found the PSAT to be a waste of time and money. I took it, and then took the SAT the next month and scored 200 points higher. I didn't do anything different, and the formats are different, so I don't get the point..........

Isn't the MCAT expensive enough to take........you want to pay for another test...........this process is definitely killing my checkbook; I don't know about the rest of you.

Originally posted by SunnyS81
Personally, I found the PSAT to be a waste of time and money. I took it, and then took the SAT the next month and scored 200 points higher. I didn't do anything different, and the formats are different, so I don't get the point..........

Isn't the MCAT expensive enough to take........you want to pay for another test...........this process is definitely killing my checkbook; I don't know about the rest of you.

I agree. I think it would be a complete waste of time and money. If you want to practice, then buy some tests from the AAMC and get a stopwatch. My $0.02. :p

continuing with tthe them, let's have a pusmle, and pcomlex............all this p talk is just going to drive kids crazy and make them take standardized tests all day, like we dont have enough of them during our careers...............schooling and durign practice....

nero

Nope, not computerized yet. That would take all of the fun counting out of a proctor's job. ;)