1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pmcat?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MaybeMD, Oct 2, 2002.

1. MaybeMD

MaybeMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey everyone, is there an official Pre- MCAT? You know sort of like an equivalent to the PSAT. If not, there should be.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

What function would that serve? So that premeds can obsess over another test? This time one that means absolutely nothing? :D

I think the pre-MCAT is called college. :)

-RA

4. MaybeMD

MaybeMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It would serve the same function as the PSAT does, to prepare students for the actual test in a test taking environment. I don't know what anybody thinks, but I think an official PMCAT would definitely help students to prepare for the actual test. Just like the PSAT does for students who want to take the SAT.

5. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector
    7+ Year Member

I also think they should add the PDAT and the PLSAT and the PGRE.

Now that I think about it...they should also add the PUSMLE and have one for each step.

6. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    although this is a function of the PSAT, it is not the only and perhaps the most important function. the PSAT is really a competition amongst high school kids across america, to allow an opportunity for those who can to score high on it to be called "national merit scholars". however, it does resemble the SAT and can help somewhat for preparation for it. having a pre-mcat is not feasible because you need advanced knowledge in order to be able to tackle the science sections effectively (organic chemistry, general chemistry, etc) and right out of high school not many students have this type of experience. by the time you enter college and have taken these requirements, it is already time for you to take the real mcat, so it would be a waste of time. the PSAT, however is given in the junior year of high school, and thus is a year early and makes sense.

7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think it's feasible to have PMCAT. If we look at SATS, it was only a 3 hour test. The PSAT was like 2 hours. If the MCATs is 8 hours, would the PMCAt be around 6 hours? Would someone want to dish out $100 on a PMCAT if it doesn't count and also takes up a lot of time? another motivation for the PSAT was the national merit competition where students who scored in 99% had chance to win $2000 or more. That was the crux of the PSAT. If amcas started giving out money to those in 99% pmcat scores, then it would be another story....

8. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Personally, I found the PSAT to be a waste of time and money. I took it, and then took the SAT the next month and scored 200 points higher. I didn't do anything different, and the formats are different, so I don't get the point..........

Isn't the MCAT expensive enough to take........you want to pay for another test...........this process is definitely killing my checkbook; I don't know about the rest of you.

9. Wahoo07

Wahoo07 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree. I think it would be a complete waste of time and money. If you want to practice, then buy some tests from the AAMC and get a stopwatch. My $0.02. :p

10. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

continuing with tthe them, let's have a pusmle, and pcomlex............all this p talk is just going to drive kids crazy and make them take standardized tests all day, like we dont have enough of them during our careers...............schooling and durign practice....

nero

11. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just go to Kaplan and take practice exams.

Is the MCAT computerized now? They've computerized all the USMLE I, II, and III now.

12. Polar girl

Polar girl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Nope, not computerized yet. That would take all of the fun counting out of a proctor's job. ;)