PMSR/PMSR cert

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arez10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I looked at the list of residencies that was I guess updated recently. It seems like all of the 24 month programs were changed to saying either "PMSR" or "PMSR cert." Now, I know that not all of these converted programs will allow RRA certification...am I to assume that the ones that say "cert" will allow that and the ones that just say "PMSR" will be 36 months but not allow RRA?

Members don't see this ad.

You are correct (PMSR Cer = will lead to you able to take RRA qual exam with ABPS), but in the end, it still comes down to a program's integrity in logging. Ask around when picking your clerkships to find programs with good track record of case volume, and then apply yourself well. I'd recommend basically just keep your eyes open out on clerkships:

See how much the residents are actually DOING. See how much they're double/triple/etc scrubbing cases (hint: should never more than double forefoot cases, 3rd years should be doing little/no forefoot anymore). See how confident and smooth their senior residents and young alumni attendings look in the OR and what kind of jobs cases young attendings/alumni are undertaking.

You are correct (PMSR Cer = will lead to you able to take RRA qual exam with ABPS), but in the end, it still comes down to a program's integrity in logging.

Students should realize the CASPR online entry is still never 100% accurate, so please don't base your decision to extern on what's posted there. If you have questions on the RRA status just call or email the contact listed. There are some programs that definitely have RRA qualified residents but are not listed as "Cert" on the CASPR/CRIP website (i.e. Temple, Aria just to name a few in PA).

What are the disadvantages, if any, in choosing a program that does not have a "cert"?