Forum Members PMSR/RRA Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Soooo. A friend of mine went there. They read this forum, but do not post. They do however know who I am so I'm pretty sure I'm going to hear about this :) I also had some students clerk there when I was a resident.

The impression I've gotten from them - the program has its ups and downs. Historically, its got a lot of VA traits. Everyone wants to go home early if they can - including the residents. Patient population is in general non-compliant and prone to complications. My friend and I would joke about early weight-bearing and showering and he'd tell me about someone who managed to create a gangrenous wound off a minor surgery. There seemed to be a mix of residents doing skin to skin teaching each other and attendings with an axe to grind at the VA system holding the blade thereby punishing the residents. Attempts by residents to push surgery towards common techniques often lead to rejection by attendings on the day of surgery. Clinic sounded essentially dependent on resident labor with some of the usual frustrations where residents should have been allowed to cover outside cases but might be stuck in clinic. That said - it did sound like there were some outside cases. I'm sort of under the impression they've had near complete turnover of their attending staff - I think its entirely possible the attendings there are totally different than the people who've been present the last 3-4 years. I don't think there's any big academic focus (its never come up) and I'm under the impression the recreation in the area is awesome.

If my friend writes back and says no, no, no best program ever I'll update, but I don't think they will. Unfortunately, for all the threads I read on here about amazing programs and amazing attendings and everything hunky dory - a lot of programs exist in a gray in between with residents battling to get everything they can from it.

EDIT:
After speaking with my friend - yeah, essentially near complete/total podiatry attending staff turn over and likely very much for the best. New people running it/new director should be a step up. Good in hospital relationship with ortho/vascular.
Thanks so much for replying!! I've searched every where about reviews about Mountain Home and your response was the most informative.

Members don't see this ad.

General Program/Hospital Info:
DVA Phoenix (Carl T Hayden)

Attendings:
Full time: Dr. Pirozzi, Dr. Lernor, Dr. Jong, Dr. Ellsworth. (All awful)

Part time: Dr. Hansen, Dr. Abraham, Dr. Marshall, Dr. Harlan, Dr. Curtis (all amazing, and all openly bad mouth the program)

Pirozzi is probably the the worst thing that happened to the program. As mentioned, this program is already struggling. Residents barely get their numbers, they’re stuck slaving in clinic and now you have someone who doesn’t even say hi to her residents when passing them in the hall. Good surgeon? Sure.. but doesn’t really teach much, she looks down on the residents and it is far from a good learning environment.

Jong, nice lady, great person. Shouldn’t be a surgeon, DEFINITELY SHOULDNT be teaching. If it takes you 6 hours to do a lapidus, you shouldn’t teach. Again, nothing against the person, I really like her, but some just shouldn’t teach.

Ellsworth, don’t know how anyone could call him efficient or comment on his surgery skills. He doesn’t do anything all day (like any true VA attending). He sits in his office on the computer while the residents do everything. When I presented to him even as a student I knew his knowledge was very minimal and it was almost dangerous having him as a teacher. Another one who is nice but shouldn’t teach. He does maybe 10 surgeries a year from what I hear and they’re minor. I saw him do one with Dr Hotchkiss when he was a second year and I’m glad he was there, hotchkiss took the knife and seemed to tune out Ellsworth which made the surgery go smooth.

Lernor, yet again normal lazy VA attending. Might see 2-3 patients a day only IF the clinic gets extremely behind. Just sits in her office on her phone all day. Another very nice person, another person who should not teach surgery. I heard her say many times she didn’t like surgery.. that’s fine and great that she knows her limits, but she’s supposed to be teaching surgery to surgical residents.

All part timers are amazing. If you’re lucky enough to see any of them in the OR do it! Learn as much from them as possible, they’re all nice and all competent.

Residents:
Take 4 a year.
When I was there they were all great. The third years I was just with just graduated (barely by their own account). The second years were pretty cool for the most part. As mentioned I got to work with Dr Hotchkiss which was awesome. As nice of a guy as he seems on his YouTube. I was told by so many classmates he was the highlight of the program and he definitely was. Goes out of his way for other residents and students. His recent videos say he left that residency though. I don’t blame him! Seems they really screwed him. Pirozzi definitely lost the star resident there. Really liked Dr Kandi and Dr Cathcart too, they will make great seniors I think. The now second years I think are hit or miss, nice enough but didn’t seem skilled. No clue on the first years, they scrambled every single one of them.. shows how great the program is.
Didactics:
They happen at like 6am before clinic and no one seems at all interested. The second they’re done Pirozzi says “get to work” and everyone rushes to clinic. Like everything else there, academics come second to clinic.

OR Experience:
What OR experience? Pirozzi has brought in the occasional big case, but as mentioned she doesn’t teach much. She’ll do 80% of the case, third year will get the other 20%. Many cases, even the smallest ones were triple scrubbed. This program used to get so many surgeries in the valley. I grew up here and know the program well. The previous administration may have had its problems but it cared about getting residents numbers.. gone are those days. Affiliations fall off left and right and Pirozzi does nothing to get them back. Gotta keep that clinic fully staffed with residents since the well paid attendings are busy sitting on their asses.. classic VA.

Clinic Experience:
As others have said, pushing 100+ a day, 5 days a week. 100% resident and student run. Attendings hardly see patients. You work day in and day out and the attendings aren’t appreciative at all. It wore on my co externs and I. Hardest rotation I did due to this, just the feeling of being utterly under appreciated, and Dr Pirozzi wont even take the time to learn your name. I’m grateful I was there with Hotchkiss, he stayed after with me one day after seeing I was down and convinced me not to quit. I sound like a fan boy here (kinda am) but I really appreciate what he did for me and fellow students.

TLDR: clinic is the worst thing ever here.

Research Opportunities:
Maybe.. I guess.. if you want to try to make Pirozzi proud since she’s so into ACFAS etc (ha that’s a joke, good luck with that)

Lifestyle:
Probably possible to have a life.. but residents seems bummed all the time there. Absolutely no family feel there. They look like slaves when they’re there. All of them can’t wait to get out. Super toxic environment just due to the director/full time attendings. I was even there once when Dr Curtis said “it’s so depressing being here, everyone is always so bummed out”. Other part timers made similar remarks.

Pros:
-Arizona is awesome if you can stand the heat.
-Part time attendings
-Outside attendings (if you ever get to see them)
-I’m really grasping at straws here

Cons:
-Pirozzi
-CLINIC
-No surgery, how is this even a surgical residency?
-No full time surgical attendings.
-Dr Hotchkiss left 😋 program continues to scramble year after year so resident quality is continuing to go down and down.

Overall Conclusion:
Probably best to just stay away. If you do it for a clerkship just try your best to keep your sanity. I’m sure Dr Cathcart and Kandi will be cool seniors, try to be with them. Try to present/spend time with the part time attendings… but really overall, just skip this one. Go over to County or to Tucson.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Program Name: Nazareth Hospital (Philadelphia, PA)

Attendings: Dr. Milman (Director), Dr. Anaim, Dr. Borys [You'll work with them the most]
- Dr. Milman is one of the sweetest directors that I have ever met and she always have the residents and students' back when needed. She is very patient and knowledgeable to her residents and students whenever its during surgery, clinic, free-time, academics, you name it. She's the best!
- Dr. Anaim is crazy...in a good way. He is very knowledgeable and caring as well but he can be a bit too controlling when things go wrong. He might come off as rude but to me, he just does that to entertain his residents and students, which I do not mind.
-Dr. Borys recently graduated from residency at Nazareth and is a very talented young attending that is also willing to teach you. You'll work with him then and there during surgery and at the wound care center.

Residents: They take 2 per year now and it's about time that they added more spots to this residency. A busy, hardworking bunch that is willing to help out if needed, especially for their students. All of them are extremely nice and understandable to be with. They are willing to teach if you ask them because they rarely pimp you here.

Didactics: Some labs then and there. Not a strong emphasis here.

OR Experience: The strongest aspect of this program, by far. They see a variety of electives and trauma, such as Charcot recon, Ankle fx, wound I&D, ankle scopes, amps, bunionectomies, etc. Most of the time, the attendings allow their residents to do most of the case unless it's something complex such a Pilon fracture or TAR. Most of their surgeries are at Nazareth hospital but they do some of their elective surgeries at PSLS (a surgery center).

Clinic Experience: They do clinic whenever they have time or don't have any cases at certain times. Residents do run the clinic most of the time but Dr. Milman is there if needed to be. Students are allowed to perform procedures if comfortable and the residents and/or Dr. Milman are happy to assist you if needed. At times, they will send their residents and students to Dr. Anaim's clinic on Lehigh (really dangerous).

Research Opportunities: It's there if you want to but the residents are so busy that they don't have time for it.

Lifestyle: Work hard, play hard. That's their game and they are busy due to their call schedule. It's Philly and you know what happens? Exactly, bad things happen and podiatry is consulted to plenty of trauma and horribly bad chronic wounds. So, they are always on call but since they are having more residents, they will hopefully have a lighter schedule to deal with. As an extern, you'll round with them in the morning and go do cases if available but other than that, you'll go to clinic and finish your day.

Pros:
- Highly skilled residents who can perform most surgeries without too much help
- Dr. Milman
- Diversity of cases

Cons:
- Philly
- Lack of academics and research
- Hospital is in bad shape

Overall Conclusion: It's a fairly new program that is starting to get out there. The residents are extremely cool and highly trained but at times, they do seem depressed due to their call schedule (going to change soon). The hospital is pretty old and can be depressing at times for the workers there. If you don't care about location and academics, this is a great program for those who want to do plenty of surgery with little guidance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
DVA Phoenix (Carl T Hayden)

Attendings:
Full time: Dr. Pirozzi, Dr. Lernor, Dr. Jong, Dr. Ellsworth. (All awful)

Part time: Dr. Hansen, Dr. Abraham, Dr. Marshall, Dr. Harlan, Dr. Curtis (all amazing, and all openly bad mouth the program)

Pirozzi is probably the the worst thing that happened to the program. As mentioned, this program is already struggling. Residents barely get their numbers, they’re stuck slaving in clinic and now you have someone who doesn’t even say hi to her residents when passing them in the hall. Good surgeon? Sure.. but doesn’t really teach much, she looks down on the residents and it is far from a good learning environment.

Jong, nice lady, great person. Shouldn’t be a surgeon, DEFINITELY SHOULDNT be teaching. If it takes you 6 hours to do a lapidus, you shouldn’t teach. Again, nothing against the person, I really like her, but some just shouldn’t teach.

Ellsworth, don’t know how anyone could call him efficient or comment on his surgery skills. He doesn’t do anything all day (like any true VA attending). He sits in his office on the computer while the residents do everything. When I presented to him even as a student I knew his knowledge was very minimal and it was almost dangerous having him as a teacher. Another one who is nice but shouldn’t teach. He does maybe 10 surgeries a year from what I hear and they’re minor. I saw him do one with Dr Hotchkiss when he was a second year and I’m glad he was there, hotchkiss took the knife and seemed to tune out Ellsworth which made the surgery go smooth.

Lernor, yet again normal lazy VA attending. Might see 2-3 patients a day only IF the clinic gets extremely behind. Just sits in her office on her phone all day. Another very nice person, another person who should not teach surgery. I heard her say many times she didn’t like surgery.. that’s fine and great that she knows her limits, but she’s supposed to be teaching surgery to surgical residents.

All part timers are amazing. If you’re lucky enough to see any of them in the OR do it! Learn as much from them as possible, they’re all nice and all competent.

Residents:
Take 4 a year.
When I was there they were all great. The third years I was just with just graduated (barely by their own account). The second years were pretty cool for the most part. As mentioned I got to work with Dr Hotchkiss which was awesome. As nice of a guy as he seems on his YouTube. I was told by so many classmates he was the highlight of the program and he definitely was. Goes out of his way for other residents and students. His recent videos say he left that residency though. I don’t blame him! Seems they really screwed him. Pirozzi definitely lost the star resident there. Really liked Dr Kandi and Dr Cathcart too, they will make great seniors I think. The now second years I think are hit or miss, nice enough but didn’t seem skilled. No clue on the first years, they scrambled every single one of them.. shows how great the program is.
Didactics:
They happen at like 6am before clinic and no one seems at all interested. The second they’re done Pirozzi says “get to work” and everyone rushes to clinic. Like everything else there, academics come second to clinic.

OR Experience:
What OR experience? Pirozzi has brought in the occasional big case, but as mentioned she doesn’t teach much. She’ll do 80% of the case, third year will get the other 20%. Many cases, even the smallest ones were triple scrubbed. This program used to get so many surgeries in the valley. I grew up here and know the program well. The previous administration may have had its problems but it cared about getting residents numbers.. gone are those days. Affiliations fall off left and right and Pirozzi does nothing to get them back. Gotta keep that clinic fully staffed with residents since the well paid attendings are busy sitting on their asses.. classic VA.

Clinic Experience:
As others have said, pushing 100+ a day, 5 days a week. 100% resident and student run. Attendings hardly see patients. You work day in and day out and the attendings aren’t appreciative at all. It wore on my co externs and I. Hardest rotation I did due to this, just the feeling of being utterly under appreciated, and Dr Pirozzi wont even take the time to learn your name. I’m grateful I was there with Hotchkiss, he stayed after with me one day after seeing I was down and convinced me not to quit. I sound like a fan boy here (kinda am) but I really appreciate what he did for me and fellow students.

TLDR: clinic is the worst thing ever here.

Research Opportunities:
Maybe.. I guess.. if you want to try to make Pirozzi proud since she’s so into ACFAS etc (ha that’s a joke, good luck with that)

Lifestyle:
Probably possible to have a life.. but residents seems bummed all the time there. Absolutely no family feel there. They look like slaves when they’re there. All of them can’t wait to get out. Super toxic environment just due to the director/full time attendings. I was even there once when Dr Curtis said “it’s so depressing being here, everyone is always so bummed out”. Other part timers made similar remarks.

Pros:
-Arizona is awesome if you can stand the heat.
-Part time attendings
-Outside attendings (if you ever get to see them)
-I’m really grasping at straws here

Cons:
-Pirozzi
-CLINIC
-No surgery, how is this even a surgical residency?
-No full time surgical attendings.
-Dr Hotchkiss left 😋 program continues to scramble year after year so resident quality is continuing to go down and down.

Overall Conclusion:
Probably best to just stay away. If you do it for a clerkship just try your best to keep your sanity. I’m sure Dr Cathcart and Kandi will be cool seniors, try to be with them. Try to present/spend time with the part time attendings… but really overall, just skip this one. Go over to County or to Tucson.
This was great. Thanks for posting. Would expect nothing else from a VA program. Toxic environment, Lazy attendings, 100 patient clinic all resident run. Sounds about right.

Reactions: 1 users
Any reviews about the Mercy Health programs in Ohio?

Reactions: 1 user
Mind blowing how these programs continue to exist, continue to claim on CASPR they represent "the pinnacle of foot and ankle surgical training" yet double-triple-quad scrub cases all while their residents pose on IG with a pager filled with "pages."

• Haha
I'm looking for an update on any of the following programs!

1. Cape Fear Valley
2. Norton
3. AdventHealth East Orlando
4. Inova Fairfax
5. Carilion Clinic
6. Franciscan (Federal Way)
7. Kaiser - Oakland

I'm looking for an update on any of the following programs!

1. Cape Fear Valley
2. Norton
3. AdventHealth East Orlando
4. Inova Fairfax
5. Carilion Clinic
6. Franciscan (Federal Way)
7. Kaiser - Oakland
I’ll message you what I know about Cape Fear Valley.

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like you’re not set up to receive messages. Try sending me a message if you can.

Last edited:
Program Name: DVA Phoenix

General Program/Hospital Info: The rumors are true. This program does not have a single redeeming quality. I don’t have much to add that others recently haven’t stated but I feel compelled to contribute and stress the utter atrocity that is the Phoenix VA in case some poor soul is still on the edge regarding.

Attendings:

Dr. Pirozzi- It’s like she enjoys playing the role of stereotypical cold, angry, unwelcoming, hostile program director. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why the director of a program that struggles at the depth that the Phoenix VA is, wouldn’t at least try to be semi-tolerable and hospitable to prospective residents. I’m sure there are some students out there that would love to be in the city of Phoenix and may not care that much about the quality of a program. All it would take to attract these students is not be completely cold and hostile. Even those students are pushed away. I’m absolutely puzzled that after scrambling year after year (including ALL 4 SPOTS LAST YEAR), why Dr. Pirozzi doesn’t look herself in the mirror and say “if we can’t be a good program surgically, at least we will be a likable group”. Dr. Pirozzi is an extraordinary surgeon with none of the social and leadership skills required to be at the helm of a residency program.

Dr. Ellsworth is a nice guy who seems depressed about the environment he works but probably thinks he can’t do much better. Sad!

Dr. Lernor likes to sit around and do nothing so much that she will act very annoyed if you even try to present a patient to her. She is robbing the federal government blind.

The part time attendings are all angels who 50% probably do this gig for the benefits and 50% do it for the charity of making sure the patients don’t all die under the care of some random third year pod students who have dozens of patients shoved down their throats with no experience and a group of full-time attendings who hate their jobs.

Residents:

The residents were all very nice for the most part but all seem extremely depressed to be there. Some went as far as to warn me immediately to not even think about attending the program. The warmest reaction I got from a resident regarding this program is that she was not really interested in doing surgery anyways so she doesn’t mind having clinic all day every day.

Some are downright lazy and will refuse to see patients even if you, as a student, beg and plead with them to see a patient in clinic you genuinely think may need to be hospitalized for a terrible infection.

OR Experience: The OR experience I witnessed was Dr. Pirozzi bossing a big case without teaching a single thing followed by a 1st and 2nd year resident fumbling around with suture like a cat playing with a ball of yarn.

Clinic Experience: The equivalent of slave labor. 100+ per day. Patients shoved down your throat with zero desire from anyone except a few residents and the heroic, charitable part time attending of the day.

Lifestyle: If the program doesn’t spiral you into a pit of depression, it looks like you could have time to enjoy life outside of residency

Pros:

Will get very very good at clipping toenails

Cons:

No surgery. No one there is happy. No one wants to be there. The most toxic, low-moral environment I’ve ever been a part of.

Overall Conclusion: Don’t even think about it.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1629052908225.png

Seems to have an ACFAS leadership position.

• Wow
That’s too bad about the Phoenix VA. I actually applied for a job there last year because I was wanted to work with residents and when I rotated there 10 years ago the program had at least some potential. I also like Arizona and Phoenix. But I didn’t make it past the initial screening. It looks like I dodged a bullet

• Wow
Program Name: DVA Phoenix

General Program/Hospital Info: The rumors are true. This program does not have a single redeeming quality. I don’t have much to add that others recently haven’t stated but I feel compelled to contribute and stress the utter atrocity that is the Phoenix VA in case some poor soul is still on the edge regarding.

Attendings:

Dr. Pirozzi- It’s like she enjoys playing the role of stereotypical cold, angry, unwelcoming, hostile program director. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why the director of a program that struggles at the depth that the Phoenix VA is, wouldn’t at least try to be semi-tolerable and hospitable to prospective residents. I’m sure there are some students out there that would love to be in the city of Phoenix and may not care that much about the quality of a program. All it would take to attract these students is not be completely cold and hostile. Even those students are pushed away. I’m absolutely puzzled that after scrambling year after year (including ALL 4 SPOTS LAST YEAR), why Dr. Pirozzi doesn’t look herself in the mirror and say “if we can’t be a good program surgically, at least we will be a likable group”. Dr. Pirozzi is an extraordinary surgeon with none of the social and leadership skills required to be at the helm of a residency program.

Dr. Ellsworth is a nice guy who seems depressed about the environment he works but probably thinks he can’t do much better. Sad!

Dr. Lernor likes to sit around and do nothing so much that she will act very annoyed if you even try to present a patient to her. She is robbing the federal government blind.

The part time attendings are all angels who 50% probably do this gig for the benefits and 50% do it for the charity of making sure the patients don’t all die under the care of some random third year pod students who have dozens of patients shoved down their throats with no experience and a group of full-time attendings who hate their jobs.

Residents:

The residents were all very nice for the most part but all seem extremely depressed to be there. Some went as far as to warn me immediately to not even think about attending the program. The warmest reaction I got from a resident regarding this program is that she was not really interested in doing surgery anyways so she doesn’t mind having clinic all day every day.

Some are downright lazy and will refuse to see patients even if you, as a student, beg and plead with them to see a patient in clinic you genuinely think may need to be hospitalized for a terrible infection.

OR Experience: The OR experience I witnessed was Dr. Pirozzi bossing a big case without teaching a single thing followed by a 1st and 2nd year resident fumbling around with suture like a cat playing with a ball of yarn.

Clinic Experience: The equivalent of slave labor. 100+ per day. Patients shoved down your throat with zero desire from anyone except a few residents and the heroic, charitable part time attending of the day.

Lifestyle: If the program doesn’t spiral you into a pit of depression, it looks like you could have time to enjoy life outside of residency

Pros:

Will get very very good at clipping toenails

Cons:

No surgery. No one there is happy. No one wants to be there. The most toxic, low-moral environment I’ve ever been a part of.

Overall Conclusion: Don’t even think about it.

How are the feds not on the scene right now handcuffing some peeps?

Program Name: Kent Hospital (Warwick, RI)

General Program/Hospital Info: This is a relatively older hospital that has gone through some changes. They mostly work at Kent Hospital, Blackstone Surgery Center, Newport Hospital, Rhode Island Hospital and Southern New England Surgery Center. They see a variety of cases (Charcot recon, ankle fractures, bunions, hammertoes, limb salvage, etc.). This programs emphasizes self-driven people because they are not going to hold your hand during your cases or consults 90% of the time. The attendings trust their residents and it does show. They treat them as equals and respect their decision-making.

Attendings: Dr. Douglas Glod (Program Director), Dr. Jason Mallette (Externship Director), Dr. Tammy Van Dine (Assistant Director), Dr. Arun Karwal, and many other attendings.

All of the attending are willing to teach and give you the best month possible, which is great to see. Most of them are pretty young and are hungry to improve the program as much as possible.

Residents: 2 per year. All of them are capable to perform any procedure in front of them with little guidance. They start skin-to-skin when they start residency and it does show. They have no problem completing their numbers and don't be surprised if they might double their numbers. They are a friendly bunch and you'll definitely hang out with the residents during your month here. They are the work hard, play hard kind of group.

Didactics: One journal article review per month and a possibility to squeeze in a lab if possible. Didactics is not the goal of this program.

OR Experience: This is the strongest aspect of their program, no doubt. If you're telling me that there are a lack of cases here, you're lying. As mentioned earlier, they see a variety of cases and if your goal is strictly surgery and hone those skills, this is the program for you. Externs are only allowed to go Kent Hospital and Blackstone (can't scrub).

Clinic Experience: They only do clinic if they have time with Dr. Glod. Their philosophy is that they already built clinical skills throughout their podiatry school and can be re-visited during their 3rd year of residency.

Research Opportunities: Not an emphasis here.

Lifestyle: Work hard, play hard. It used to be more hectic due to the amount of residents they had previously (4 total) but that is going to change now since they reached fully capacity again (6 total). You'll definitely hang out with the residents.

Pros:
- Surgery heavy
- Talented and friendly team
- They actually have a life here
- Hungry attendings that are willing to improve their program
- Providence is a cool small city

Cons:
- Older hospital
- Lack of academics

Overall Conclusion: They are a very solid program if you just want to focus on surgery. No doubt in my mind that you'll become a competent podiatric surgeon if you came here but they do lack academics, which could be a negative to some people. This program wants self-motivated people that can make their own decisions and the attendings respect their residents' opinions of how they want to treat their patients.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Program Name:

Christiana Care Health, Delaware

Two main hospitals, one in Wilmington one in Newark (15min from each other). Residents scrub cases at other hospitals and surgery center.

Attendings:

Dr. Dipretoro (PD), Dr. Bowers, Dr. Perscky, Dr. Severt, Dr. Klein. Dipretoro is very well trained, friendly, very good bedside manner. Everywhere he goes people love him. Bowers is young, works very fast, straightforward. Perscky you scrub cases with, works for ortho group and is their foot and ankle person. Very patient, kind, teaches well, very good surgeon. Severt is young, skilled surgeon, at times comes off as cold, also works for ortho group. Klein is funny, also very good surgeon, teaches well. All of them are very skilled in OR and clinic along with inpatient management. Some you will only see in OR and inpatient management. All treated residents and students well as long as they know you are competent and can trust you. Felt “off” at times but might just be the cold north east vibe everyone goes around with. Don’t bother me I won’t bother you sort of feel.

Residents:
Take 1 a year. All very smart, very good hands. Had individual personalities and looked out after their students, genuinely cared.

Didactics:
Journal club, bone saw. Not a strong emphasis as long as you were staying on top of the literature.

OR Experience:
Tons and tons of OR. In the OR very often due to attendings bringing different cases. Only 1 resident so residents were always 1st assist. Sometimes student was 1st assist because resident was already scrubbing multiple cases. Everything from toe amps to elective surgery and even Charcot. Residents did as much as they were comfortable with. So many cases they don’t have enough residents to scrub.

Clinic Experience:

2 half days a week. Not a lot of clinic.

Research Opportunities:
There if you want it. Not a focus.

Lifestyle:
Very busy but manageable. When there is no clinic or cases going on, you are free to do whatever you want/need to do. Lots of inpatient rounding, lots of cases. Residents have a lot of control over their own schedule. Call seemed manageable despite 1 resident a year. Residents were well paid.

Pros:
-Tons of surgery

-Time management to a personalized schedule (done with cases and no clinic? Go do what you need to until consult comes in)

-Good attendings who teach well and bring lots of diverse cases

Cons:
-Low clinic

-Felt a certain pressure to perform to their standards. We like you when you are good, but if you fall- our tune changes

Overall Conclusion:

Had them ranked number 1 until after interviews. Lots of surgery. Looking for someone who is a quick thinker on their feet, can multitask, is comfortable working independently.
Do you happen to remember how many students clerk there in a given month?

Anyone have any insight on MetroWest in Framingham, MA or St. Francis in Hartford, CT? Thanks!

Does anyone have any insight into Cedars Sinai in CA?

A review of the program in the above format would be helpful to future students.
Program Name: Cedars Sinai (Los Angeles, CA)

General Program/Hospital Info: One of the biggest west coast hospitals, level 1 trauma, known for VIP A-list patients. The hospital is in the Beverly Hills area. Most of the rotations are at Cedars, but they do rotate for a few months at Kaiser Culver City and Kaiser West LA. They also do a month at Children’s hospital of LA and USC. Program is with low resident oversight, and the residents are self-motivated to learn. There are a lot of attendings, but they are not present in the hospital unless they have surgeries. They work with a few ortho docs and do ortho trauma rotations.

Attendings: Dr. David Massaband: director. They have a lot of attendings on stuff.

Residents: 1 per year with rumors to expand to 2. Resident training varies and depends on their personal drive and personality. The third-year residents seem comfortable in the OR, while juniors are still figuring some things out. They don’t double scrub cases. The second year reached her numbers in the middle of her year. Residents are usually pretty friendly with the students and do a lot of academics during down time. Most of past residents do private practice or group, haven't heard of anyone doing a fellowship.

Didactics: Start the month at a Simulation center, where the residents go over suturing, hand ties, scope practice, etc. Journal club in the end of the month. A lot of X-ray reads, case work-ups, and pimping by the residents during the externship.

OR experience: Students don’t get much hands on in surgery, unless you scrub with a 3rd year who will usually let you inject, suture, or throw a screw. They do some cases at surgery centers, but students can’t go there. Every Mon and Wed the 3rd or 2nd year scrubs with an ortho doc, who does a lot of Cavus recons, rearfoot fusions, and more advanced surgeries.

Clinic: Only Tues AM resident run clinic. Occasionally will attend a clinic with an attending or Dr. Massaband.

Research: Didn’t hear much about the research.

Lifestyle: Residents seem to have a semi-balanced life. The intern takes most call, but the seniors seem to have a better life.

Pros: Location, beautiful hospital, good for independent people, well rounded, well recognized hospital name in orthopedics

Cons: Low trauma, little attending oversight, cost of living.

Does anyone have any insight on Brooklyn hospital and Eastern Virginia Medical school podiatry residency programs?

Anyone have any insight on MetroWest in Framingham, MA or St. Francis in Hartford, CT? Thanks!
Program Name: MetroWest Medical Center (Framingham, MA)

Attendings: Dr. Donald Adams (Program Director), Dr. Daren Bergman, Dr. Michael Sganga, Dr. James Parlon, Dr. David Sipala, Dr. Mark Rose, Dr. Kendra Maher
- Dr. Adams is the director of the program and honestly, he is very good in being one. He will always have the residents' back when it comes to boards, management, learning, OR, clinic, etc. He will be there for you if things goes south.
- This program used to lack attendings that did proper modern podiatric surgery and medicine but however, it's definitely changing for the better. When they added Dr. Sipala, Sganga, and Bergman, this program got much stronger surgically.
- They are all very nice people and are willing to teach if you want know more.

Residents: They take 2 per year (6 total residents). They might the nicest bunch of residents that I've met so far during externships. Always willing to help and give you an easygoing month. They don't like to waste students' time and they do have a lot of downtime. When there's nothing to do for the day, they'll usually send the students home.

Didactics: Well-balanced didactics in my opinion. Journal club once a month; one cadaver per month; one suturing/surgical skills lab with the director per month; board wizards 2x per month. I'm sure that they have more didactics but they make sure to not make it overbearing.

OR Experience: Their OR experience is drastically improving since they added newer and younger attendings to their program. They don't have the busiest surgery schedule but they do get their numbers done with no problem. Their busiest days are usually Thursdays and Fridays but mostly Friday. They usually dedicate Friday as their surgery day because Dr. Adams tends to add all of his cases on that days and the residents usually do skin-to-skin with him. Dr. Sganga is the newer attending that is bringing in more rearfoot cases and is very talented.

Clinic Experience: They do one day of clinic per week (Monday). During the mornings, the residents will do ambulatory clinic with Dr. Parlon or Adams and during the afternoon, one or two residents will join with Parlon or Adams for Post-Op clinic (separate clinic from the hospital but it is nearby).

Research Opportunities: Not a huge emphasis but if you are truly interested, it is available at the program.

Lifestyle: They do have a very chill lifestyle because they don't have the busiest OR schedule and the hospital doesn't really do too much trauma. However, this program is slowly changing and it might get busier in the future. Overall, they usually just get their stuff done and leave work at a reasonable time. Super chill.

Pros:
- Chill lifestyle
- Newer Attendings that is changing their OR experience
- Dr. Adams
- Well-balanced didactics
- Near Boston

Cons:
- Not the best program for strictly surgery
- Expensive living
- Lack of trauma

Overall Conclusion: Historically, MetroWest is known to be a chill program that doesn't really have the strongest podiatric surgery but however, the newer breed of attendings are slowly changing their program. The residents are all very nice but I am a bit concerned with some of them due to their lack of confidence in the OR. On the other hand, I do believe that the other residents are extremely capable of becoming great podiatric physicians. At the end of the day. it really comes down to the resident and their personality towards the profession. This program has the tools of making great podiatrists but it is up to the residents of how they want to utilize them.

Program Name: MetroWest Medical Center (Framingham, MA)

Attendings: Dr. Donald Adams (Program Director), Dr. Daren Bergman, Dr. Michael Sganga, Dr. James Parlon, Dr. David Sipala, Dr. Mark Rose, Dr. Kendra Maher
- Dr. Adams is the director of the program and honestly, he is very good in being one. He will always have the residents' back when it comes to boards, management, learning, OR, clinic, etc. He will be there for you if things goes south.
- This program used to lack attendings that did proper modern podiatric surgery and medicine but however, it's definitely changing for the better. When they added Dr. Sipala, Sganga, and Bergman, this program got much stronger surgically.
- They are all very nice people and are willing to teach if you want know more.

Residents: They take 2 per year (6 total residents). They might the nicest bunch of residents that I've met so far during externships. Always willing to help and give you an easygoing month. They don't like to waste students' time and they do have a lot of downtime. When there's nothing to do for the day, they'll usually send the students home.

Didactics: Well-balanced didactics in my opinion. Journal club once a month; one cadaver per month; one suturing/surgical skills lab with the director per month; board wizards 2x per month. I'm sure that they have more didactics but they make sure to not make it overbearing.

OR Experience: Their OR experience is drastically improving since they added newer and younger attendings to their program. They don't have the busiest surgery schedule but they do get their numbers done with no problem. Their busiest days are usually Thursdays and Fridays but mostly Friday. They usually dedicate Friday as their surgery day because Dr. Adams tends to add all of his cases on that days and the residents usually do skin-to-skin with him. Dr. Sganga is the newer attending that is bringing in more rearfoot cases and is very talented.

Clinic Experience: They do one day of clinic per week (Monday). During the mornings, the residents will do ambulatory clinic with Dr. Parlon or Adams and during the afternoon, one or two residents will join with Parlon or Adams for Post-Op clinic (separate clinic from the hospital but it is nearby).

Research Opportunities: Not a huge emphasis but if you are truly interested, it is available at the program.

Lifestyle: They do have a very chill lifestyle because they don't have the busiest OR schedule and the hospital doesn't really do too much trauma. However, this program is slowly changing and it might get busier in the future. Overall, they usually just get their stuff done and leave work at a reasonable time. Super chill.

Pros:
- Chill lifestyle
- Newer Attendings that is changing their OR experience
- Dr. Adams
- Well-balanced didactics
- Near Boston

Cons:
- Not the best program for strictly surgery
- Expensive living
- Lack of trauma

Overall Conclusion: Historically, MetroWest is known to be a chill program that doesn't really have the strongest podiatric surgery but however, the newer breed of attendings are slowly changing their program. The residents are all very nice but I am a bit concerned with some of them due to their lack of confidence in the OR. On the other hand, I do believe that the other residents are extremely capable of becoming great podiatric physicians. At the end of the day. it really comes down to the resident and their personality towards the profession. This program has the tools of making great podiatrists but it is up to the residents of how they want to utilize them.
Very helpful! Thank you :)

Hey everyone. Do any recent externs or residents have any insight on the program at UTSA? I appreciate any feedback!

Does anyone have any insight on Brooklyn hospital and Eastern Virginia Medical school podiatry residency programs?

Familiar with the program at EVMS. PM with questions.

Does anyone have insight on Christiana Care Health Services in Wilmington, DE?

Does anyone have insight on Christiana Care Health Services in Wilmington, DE?
Take 1 a year. Very smart very well rounded group. Tons and tons of surgery with lots of variety. Clinic 2 half days a week. Lots of talented attendings to work with. Lots of inpatient. 2 main hospitals one in Wilmington one in Newark. Surgery center and a few other hospitals they do cases as well.

Take 1 a year. Very smart very well rounded group. Tons and tons of surgery with lots of variety. Clinic 2 half days a week. Lots of talented attendings to work with. Lots of inpatient. 2 main hospitals one in Wilmington one in Newark. Surgery center and a few other hospitals they do cases as well.
Thank you so much! How would you say the resident lifestyle is? How many times a month are residents expected to take weekend calls? Any academics?

Would you be able to private message me? I have questions about the area and program as I have an upcoming rotation

Could anyone give some insight on the HCA Houston sister programs as they do not let students rotate?

Does anyone know about Boston Medical Center ? Thank you so much
Haven't visited or externed at the program but I have seen the area and some feedbacks from other students that actually externed there.

To keep it short, try to stay away from the program. I heard the residents were just miserable over there due to their hectic schedules and how they are treated. Also, it's in a really rough part of Boston with a lot of crime and drug addicts near the hospital.

Could anyone give some insight on the HCA Houston sister programs as they do not let students rotate?
lot of driving. a lot. focus is surgery. No other residents at the hopsital. The general surgeons are doing lumps and bumps. You want to be home before 5 every day - this is your program. No babysitting. Truly a what you make of it program. Pros - surgery. Cons - medicine.

Some fantastic attendings - and a lot a lot of them.

Haven't visited or externed at the program but I have seen the area and some feedbacks from other students that actually externed there.

To keep it short, try to stay away from the program. I heard the residents were just miserable over there due to their hectic schedules and how they are treated. Also, it's in a really rough part of Boston with a lot of crime and drug addicts near the hospital.
Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't extern there either. When I was interviewed by them, they were very nice and promised me a lot of things. I talked to their residents but you're more reliable :)). I considered raking them but now I'm not sure...
I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks again

lot of driving. a lot. focus is surgery. No other residents at the hopsital. The general surgeons are doing lumps and bumps. You want to be home before 5 every day - this is your program. No babysitting. Truly a what you make of it program. Pros - surgery. Cons - medicine.

Some fantastic attendings - and a lot a lot of them.
Thanks air bud always appreciate your replies and input on the forums. Generally what I’ve heard about the program. When you say the cons being medicine.. what exactly do you mean?

Thanks air bud always appreciate your replies and input on the forums. Generally what I’ve heard about the program. When you say the cons being medicine.. what exactly do you mean?
Uh you don't learn much medicine....
You are there to tag along. Nobody is delegating responsibility to you. It's all private practice docs and hospitalists trying to see their patients and get their day done. Any teaching you receive is a bonus.

Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't extern there either. When I was interviewed by them, they were very nice and promised me a lot of things. I talked to their residents but you're more reliable :)). I considered raking them but now I'm not sure...
I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks again

Avoid the program.

You will come out a very good/plus surgeon. Leave the medicine stuff to medicine people I say ...