PNC vs NC vs taking a bad grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Impulse155

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think is worse to do and what would be the best situation. I am looking at about a 3.5 for this semester however if I PNC physics I can pull around a 3.9 (factoring in a B for physics could easily have between a C and B) I have never PNC'd anything and I already have 1 terrible semester that I should have taken advantage of the PNC but I didnt. Also if I do PNC it, how badly does "NC" look instead of PNC

Members don't see this ad.

What is PNC and NC? NC = not complete? Is that the same thing as withdrawing?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is PNC and NC? NC = not complete? Is that the same thing as withdrawing?
Sry didnt know that not all schools do this.
PNC = pass no credit. If you get above a D it coutns as Pass no credit on your transcript. Which means you get the credits for the class but it does not affect your gpa. However I would be forced to take the class again since its a science requirement
NC = no credit. Received below a D in the course. Recorded on your transcript as No Credit. Basically saying you failed the course but it still does not affect your GPA. And you would still have to take it again.

Sry didnt know that not all schools do this.
PNC = pass no credit. If you get above a D it coutns as Pass no credit on your transcript. Which means you get the credits for the class but it does not affect your gpa. However I would be forced to take the class again since its a science requirement
NC = no credit. Received below a D in the course. Recorded on your transcript as No Credit. Basically saying you failed the course but it still does not affect your GPA. And you would still have to take it again.

How credible is a GPA from a university that lets you fail classes without it affecting your GPA, unless what you're describing (NC) is equivalent to a W.

How credible is a GPA from a university that lets you fail classes without it affecting your GPA, unless what you're describing (NC) is equivalent to a W.

Stony Brook University and its kinda like a "W"
Edit:
And theres a deadline for doing this, October 20something.
I didnt know that not many schools do this.