-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
PNWU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011
Started by ShyRem
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
woo interview!! 😀 is anyone else trying to interview on oct. 8th?
YES! I will see you there!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview! Oct 8th! I wouldn't be surprised if they fire me at work for missing so many days for interviews in October. Oh well, it will be worth it to get that one acceptance
Interview here as well, though I had to go with Nov 5th since I already had the 8th scheduled with another school. 🙁
That's actually a good thing. I interviewed here for my first interview and it went terrible compared to my others. Get some "practice" at the other schools and rock this one if you're serious about PNWU. The main thing is to get your most important interviews out of the way before the December 15th mark. Most schools will require a deposit by then and you don't want to have to pay two of those because you got into a school you like better after the deposit for another one was due. If I could do it again I would have not been in the first interview group and had my interview in mid November after all my other interviews.
Just make sure to read the old forums for tips on the PNWU interview. In the past it's been a little odd with a set of pre-made questions. Look at some of the past ones for prep.
Good luck to all of you applying and interviewing. I'll start checking in more often ... unless it's a test week 🙂
Interview here as well, though I had to go with Nov 5th since I already had the 8th scheduled with another school. 🙁
I second Limvostov. Good to get some interview practice at other schools first. Plus, if you have an "acceptance" under your belt when your PNWU interview comes around you'll be more at ease.
How do you check your status online? When I submitted the secondary it didn't require an account set up. I keep going back to the secondary link in the email but don't know how i'm supposed to sign on.😕
Have you paid your supplemental fee yet? After your payment is confirmed they will send you info about your account set-up and confirmation that they received your secondary. It took about a day for me to get the account info. You can also call them - they're really friendly 🙂 Hope this helps!
thanks guys! i emailed them yesterday so hopefully i'll hear back today. 

interview invite today... very happy! complete on 9/1, in-state.
I got a mail:
Priority processing is being given to applicants from the Pacific Northwest until December 1st. You will receive instructions to complete a PNWU-COM supplemental application on or after December 1st.
I am out of State applicant?
Any one OOS got a secondary yet?
Priority processing is being given to applicants from the Pacific Northwest until December 1st. You will receive instructions to complete a PNWU-COM supplemental application on or after December 1st.
I am out of State applicant?
Any one OOS got a secondary yet?
interviewing on october 8 as well. do they still have pre-set questions for all interviewees? i know they have done that in the past but i thought they were changing it after a couple of years.
we should all go wine tasting in yakima after the interview. 🙂
we should all go wine tasting in yakima after the interview. 🙂
interviewing on october 8 as well. do they still have pre-set questions for all interviewees? i know they have done that in the past but i thought they were changing it after a couple of years.
we should all go wine tasting in yakima after the interview. 🙂
You can count me in!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
interviewing on october 8 as well. do they still have pre-set questions for all interviewees? i know they have done that in the past but i thought they were changing it after a couple of years.
we should all go wine tasting in yakima after the interview. 🙂
best time of year for the wine tasting....may even make some of the wine crushing events as the ripening is running late this year..
.
Last edited:
Does anyone know how often the committee meets? My update has been "committee" for a week.
Thx
I was "committee" for ~14 days before it switched to "interview"
Did you guys set up a login with username and password? If so, how?
I was given an ID number is the secondary invite email and submitted the application, but can't figure out how some of you are checking your status...
You are given a username and password in an email it comes from a different email address than everything else its helpdesk or something like that. Look in your junk mail.
How long has it been since you submitted the secondary? For me I think I received my email within a week of submitting the secondary.
You are given a username and password in an email it comes from a different email address than everything else its helpdesk or something like that. Look in your junk mail.
How long has it been since you submitted the secondary? For me I think I received my email within a week of submitting the secondary.
Thanks for the response, I have emailed to see if they can re-send. It may have gone in junk, but I can't find it.
I just submitted the secondary today, so didn't expect to hear back. Was this email you speak of a confirmation? Or invite to interview?
Thanks for the response, I have emailed to see if they can re-send. It may have gone in junk, but I can't find it.
I just submitted the secondary today, so didn't expect to hear back. Was this email you speak of a confirmation? Or invite to interview?
They email you a confirmation of receiving secondary as well as another emailing giving you a username and password. Since you just submitted the secondary today, my guess is that they haven't set up the account for you yet but you should receive an email with the information in a few days.
They email you a confirmation of receiving secondary as well as another emailing giving you a username and password. Since you just submitted the secondary today, my guess is that they haven't set up the account for you yet but you should receive an email with the information in a few days.
You are correct! They said I had to pay the fee first.
Does anyone know if it is okay to submit more than the three letters they request?
You are correct! They said I had to pay the fee first.
Does anyone know if it is okay to submit more than the three letters they request?
I submitted five letters, and they didn't seem to mind. The two extra letters aren't listed in the "Checklist" on Self-Service, but I'm assuming they are still part of my application file.
I'm interviewing Dec. 3rd!
I'm interviewing Dec. 3rd!
Congrats! Were you informed today? When were you complete? Blahblahblah. 🙂
I'm interviewing November 5th! I received the secondary 9/22, complete 9/24, invite 9/29. The admissions office is very helpful and friendly. I can't believe how quickly they processed everything! This is my top choice school and I am so ecstatic to get the chance to interview.
I still need to read last year's thread, but can anyone tell me the format of the interview?? closed/open file...types of questions?
I still need to read last year's thread, but can anyone tell me the format of the interview?? closed/open file...types of questions?
They do a standard open file interview. As of last year they had a set 25 questions that they ask you, and then an additional option to follow up on any of those questions. all in all I don't think you should worry about the interview, it is very laid back.
Now, with saying that, there is quite a bit of downtime during the interview sessions. Since only 4 go at a time, there is potentially an hour or two wait time. So bring something to read, or you can just sit around in the foyer talking with other applicants or students.
Now, with saying that, there is quite a bit of downtime during the interview sessions. Since only 4 go at a time, there is potentially an hour or two wait time. So bring something to read, or you can just sit around in the foyer talking with other applicants or students.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They do a standard open file interview. As of last year they had a set 25 questions that they ask you, and then an additional option to follow up on any of those questions. all in all I don't think you should worry about the interview, it is very laid back.
Now, with saying that, there is quite a bit of downtime during the interview sessions. Since only 4 go at a time, there is potentially an hour or two wait time. So bring something to read, or you can just sit around in the foyer talking with other applicants or students.
Thanks for the great advice! The itinerary indicates interviews are scheduled between 12:30 and 5, so the wait time could potentially be long...

Is anyone else interviewing with me next Friday? Is that the first interview day of the season--How do you feel about that?
Mine is not until next month, but GOOD LUCK to everyone interviewing next Friday and I can't wait to hear how it goes! I wonder if they will recycle the question about your child hitting their thumb with a hammer??
Interview for me!!
Interview for me!!
congrats!
what was the turnaround on your committee review?
congrats!
what was the turnaround on your committee review?
It was about three weeks total from when I sent in the secondary, going for committee, and then invite.
Mine is not until next month, but GOOD LUCK to everyone interviewing next Friday and I can't wait to hear how it goes! I wonder if they will recycle the question about your child hitting their thumb with a hammer??
Yes!
Thanks! I interviewed today, and it went well (I hope!). I interviewed here last year (late interview date though) and got waitlisted since class was already full...at that interview, I wasn't asked about anything on my application, but I was this year. One of my interviewers commented on lower sGPA, which made me worry after my interview...so be prepared! This is my top choice so I'm REALLY hoping I get in this year! Good luck to everyone!
Was the interview format changed at all? I interviewed last year as well, and I thought the questions/format left much to be desired.
Was the interview format changed at all? I interviewed last year as well, and I thought the questions/format left much to be desired.
The standard question format was hard, but the interviewers do have time at the end to ask follow-up questions if necessary. The school is awesome and the interview day was very low stress.
Thanks! I interviewed today, and it went well (I hope!). I interviewed here last year (late interview date though) and got waitlisted since class was already full...at that interview, I wasn't asked about anything on my application, but I was this year. One of my interviewers commented on lower sGPA, which made me worry after my interview...so be prepared! This is my top choice so I'm REALLY hoping I get in this year! Good luck to everyone!
I interviewed that day too! I wish the president was in town so we could hear back sooner...but I guess a week isnt that long to wait! I was SO impressed with the school and the facilities...the only draw back was that it is just one building with limited study space. Hopefully that other building gets done soon! Good luck to you!
I interviewed that day too! I wish the president was in town so we could hear back sooner...but I guess a week isnt that long to wait! I was SO impressed with the school and the facilities...the only draw back was that it is just one building with limited study space. Hopefully that other building gets done soon! Good luck to you!
Usually study space is not too big an issue. Friday, when you guys were there, the place was unusually packed. I had to scurry into a classroom by the mock clinic in order to get a study spot that day. The new building will apparently be complete by January, and I think we're all looking forward to that.
One thing about the size of the school to consider is that you really don't need a ton of space. Sure, there isn't much of a "campus" feel with PNWU, but once you get over your psychological hangups about what a medical school "SHOULD" look like, and then think about what you actually NEED for your education, we've got pretty much everything covered. Centuries-old ivy covered buildings there are not. But who cares? When you're staring at a Smart Board or laptop screen most of the day, the size of campus will cease to matter. Plus, we only have 150 students that could potentially be on campus at any given time, as opposed to my undergrad with like 10,000.
Just some thoughts to consider, because I felt the same way at first.
Usually study space is not too big an issue. Friday, when you guys were there, the place was unusually packed. I had to scurry into a classroom by the mock clinic in order to get a study spot that day. The new building will apparently be complete by January, and I think we're all looking forward to that.
One thing about the size of the school to consider is that you really don't need a ton of space. Sure, there isn't much of a "campus" feel with PNWU, but once you get over your psychological hangups about what a medical school "SHOULD" look like, and then think about what you actually NEED for your education, we've got pretty much everything covered. Centuries-old ivy covered buildings there are not. But who cares? When you're staring at a Smart Board or laptop screen most of the day, the size of campus will cease to matter. Plus, we only have 150 students that could potentially be on campus at any given time, as opposed to my undergrad with like 10,000.
Just some thoughts to consider, because I felt the same way at first.
Thanks so much for your response! PNWU is definitely my top choice after interviewing there and what really solidified my decision was the state of the art building and facilities (in addition to the AMAZING staff and faculty support)! It was definitely a shock seeing the one building for the first time, but after going in the school and experiencing all the school had to offer, i was sold! Hopefully I will see you as a student in August!
Thanks so much for your response! PNWU is definitely my top choice after interviewing there and what really solidified my decision was the state of the art building and facilities (in addition to the AMAZING staff and faculty support)! It was definitely a shock seeing the one building for the first time, but after going in the school and experiencing all the school had to offer, i was sold! Hopefully I will see you as a student in August!
I interviewed at PNWU and then nest day at Western U (Lebonon OR). If you think seen one building is a shock, think about Western U (Lebonon) where building is not even finished.
I also liked this school a lot.
People were really nice, and relaxed.
Interview was standard questions and i though it really wasn't that bad. Of course i haven't heard back yet. You have to anwser questions they ask straight forward, but you can always take time to think about your anwser (which i suggest). At the end they will ask additional questions if they feel like it, and you can ask them questions too.
I as given a time when i was suppose to interview, but they came and got me earlier so be prepared.... (Use restroom, etc...)
Good luck to everyone!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed at PNWU and then nest day at Western U (Lebonon OR). If you think seen one building is a shock, think about Western U (Lebonon) where building is not even finished.
I also liked this school a lot.
People were really nice, and relaxed.
Interview was standard questions and i though it really wasn't that bad. Of course i haven't heard back yet. You have to anwser questions they ask straight forward, but you can always take time to think about your anwser (which i suggest). At the end they will ask additional questions if they feel like it, and you can ask them questions too.
I as given a time when i was suppose to interview, but they came and got me earlier so be prepared.... (Use restroom, etc...)
Good luck to everyone!!!
I am so nervous for Monday! Do you think they will accept a lot of our group because we were the first to interview?
I am so nervous for Monday! Do you think they will accept a lot of our group because we were the first to interview?
I also interviewed in your group. I thought I met everyone but I can't seem to recall someone from Cali for some reason 🙁. This was by far my favorite interview group. Anyway, I heard from a first year that he also interviewed the first date last year and ~8-9 out of 10 got accepted so our chances are pretty decent, I think.
I've also been at other interviews, most recent being CCOM and students' board performance is really good, like in the 90s for percentage passing first time. This also applies to other well-established schools like DMU I think. But anatomy at CCOM is just brutal, with around half the class failing the first exam and needing peer tutors. At our interview presentation, I think 80s was the number given in regards to PNWU board performance. Do you guys think this will most likely improve a lot with time? I'm totally sold on PNWU, but I have this irrational fear of failing the boards. Or maybe not so irrational when you consider how much debt I'd be in at that point.
I also interviewed in your group. I thought I met everyone but I can't seem to recall someone from Cali for some reason 🙁. This was by far my favorite interview group. Anyway, I heard from a first year that he also interviewed the first date last year and ~8-9 out of 10 got accepted so our chances are pretty decent, I think.
I've also been at other interviews, most recent being CCOM and students' board performance is really good, like in the 90s for percentage passing first time. This also applies to other well-established schools like DMU I think. But anatomy at CCOM is just brutal, with around half the class failing the first exam and needing peer tutors. At our interview presentation, I think 80s was the number given in regards to PNWU board performance. Do you guys think this will most likely improve a lot with time? I'm totally sold on PNWU, but I have this irrational fear of failing the boards. Or maybe not so irrational when you consider how much debt I'd be in at that point.
Ha yeah well I am originally from Portland and just live in Cali right now (I went here for college), so you probably met me at some point!🙂 I was SO impressed by the school and the whole atmosphere! But, it seems like there were a lot of interviewees that day (like 25?) so do you think our chances are still high?
I think I know who you are! I was reading previous posts and you mentioned getting back for a shift in the ER....are you a scribe? If so, I think you were the girl that I talked to at the beginning of the day sitting down in the lobby. You have a friend that goes to PNWU right? 🙂
I also interviewed on the 8th, and I asked about this 80 percent at the end of my interview. I was told that those who didn't pass were in the group of students who didn't take the prep course. Also, there were 1 or 2 who did take the prep course, but not as seriously as the others (not paying attention, sleeping, etc. during the class). Thus, those who failed did so in a self-inflicted manner. I was also told there were some who simply thought they knew all they needed to know, and some of these students did better than others.
As far as improving that score, PNWU is making it mandatory to take a prep course. In concert with the rest of the curriculum and their amazing staff, I honestly see that number approaching a triple digit!
As far as improving that score, PNWU is making it mandatory to take a prep course. In concert with the rest of the curriculum and their amazing staff, I honestly see that number approaching a triple digit!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 200
- Views
- 59K
- Replies
- 429
- Views
- 120K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 464
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 183
- Views
- 32K