PNWU vs CUSOM vs RVUCOM-SU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvnn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Fortunately, I have been accepted at PNWU and will be putting down my deposit to hold my seat. I interviewed at CUSOM, but am currently waitlisted. I have an interview scheduled for RVUCOM-SU so I have yet to experience the school first-hand. I also have interviews at BCOM, ATSU-SOMA, and ARCOM, but will most likely be canceling due to my acceptance at PNWU. Similar posts may have been posted before but CUSOM just had their first graduating class and RVUCOM-SU has had their inaugural class begin.

CUSOM really, really sold me during interview day. I'm a CA resident so I really want a school that feels like home. CUSOM did that much better than PNWU based on my experiences. However, CUSOM also seemed a lot more prepared for the 2020 ACGME merger that would be affecting my class (class of 2022). Boards pass rates for CUSOM higher than PNWU and many students who went to CUSOM did well on the USMLE as well. I'd like to keep my options for residencies open, so I think how well the school would prep me for the USMLE is important. However, PNWU is a more established school by a couple of years with consistent 100% residency placement. I'm worried about the PNWU rotations as I may not get my top choices since I'm not from the area and wouldn't get regional points (also because there have been mixed reviews about preceptors). Therefore, this whole time I've been leaning towards CUSOM because it felt more like home.

I haven't had the chance to see RVUCOM-SU yet but its the sister school to the Colorado campus, which is an amazing school. However, I am worried that apparently about half the lectures would be streamed from the Colorado campus. Also worried about the rotations for the school since it is still pretty new.

For all schools, I'm worried about getting research opportunities. I haven't published anything yet so I would definitely need to be more competitive in getting residency.

Non-academic things like dress code. I think I can get used to the professional dress code at CUSOM. I heard most people change out of those clothes around noon anyways. I'd really like to live near a place with some things to do. I'm from a suburban area, so I still enjoy the city life a bit but I know it can get distracting (not a deal-breaker). Love the whole nature and outdoorsy scene too!

Any advice on any of the schools, even the other schools I didn't mention about, would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess no one has replied to you yet. I have interviewed at PNWU two years in a row. I was denied both times, but it is an excellent school. They have great facilities and the staff is very helpful. I can understand how it wouldn’t feel as much like home though. In the end, the decision is yours, but do some research and figure out which school is best for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you're pretty set on CUSOM. Best to go where you are happy for the next 4 years I would think. Sounds like it would be a reasonable plan to plan for PNWU but go to CUSOM if you're accepted off the waitlist. I would probably choose PNWU over the other schools you mentioned, though RVU (even though it's the branch campus) might take more consideration.

While I think some of the concern about PNWU preceptors is outdated (they are from a user, Sylvanthus, from years ago and have persisted on SDN but from the sound of it have ceased to persist in real life- I have asked several more recent students) I do think your concern about getting to choose your top rotation site/region is valid.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you're pretty set on CUSOM. Best to go where you are happy for the next 4 years I would think. Sounds like it would be a reasonable plan to plan for PNWU but go to CUSOM if you're accepted off the waitlist. I would probably choose PNWU over the other schools you mentioned, though RVU (even though it's the branch campus) might take more consideration.

While I think some of the concern about PNWU preceptors is outdated (they are from a user, Sylvanthus, from years ago and have persisted on SDN but from the sound of it have ceased to persist in real life- I have asked several more recent students) I do think your concern about getting to choose your top rotation site/region is valid.

Yeah, losing my top rotation site because I don't get points from the area worries me. CUSOM just made me feel a lot more welcomed, but like you said, logically I should choose PNWU. CUSOM seems like it'll only get better from here though and having a 100% match rate seemed awesome. I'm seriously considering the interview with RVU-SU, but I'm afraid of being the 2nd class to attend. I'll have to look into that more. Feels like I have a choice to play it safe or gamble a bit here lol. Thanks for the help!