POCD Consensus statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimbus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Best Practices for Postoperative Brain Health:... : Anesthesia & Analgesia

“There is little evidence that any particular volatile anesthetic agent is associated with an altered risk of PND. Nonetheless, there are clearly age-dependent changes in volatile anesthetic sensitivity. The minimum alveolar concentration (MAC) of a volatile anesthetic necessary to prevent movement in response to surgical incision in 50% of patients declines by ≈6% per decade after 30 years of age.34 , 35 Because volatile anesthetics have one of the narrowest therapeutic indices of any drug used in modern medicine,36 , 37 avoiding volatile anesthetic overdose by closely monitoring the age-adjusted MAC fraction is critical to avoid side effects of these drugs38 and may even help to lower delirium rates.31 , 39 For example, in the cognitive dysfunction after anesthesia (CODA) trial, a 39% decrease in the age-adjusted end-tidal MAC fraction (ie, the inhaled anesthetic dose received by patients) was associated with a 31% reduction in cognitive dysfunction at 3 months after surgery and 35% reduction in postoperative delirium.31 Thus, there was widespread agreement among the participants that anesthesiologists should use age-adjusted MAC fraction in older adults to adjust end-tidal volatile anesthetic concentration during surgery, which at least provides a population-derived starting point for dosing inhaled anesthetics.

Similarly, it may seem intuitive that using a regional anesthetic technique or nerve block to either complement or replace a general anesthetic could help decrease systemic anesthetic administration and thereby might lower the incidence of PND. Yet, this intuition is largely unsupported by data because the majority of studies that have examined this issue have not found an increased risk of delirium or POCD after general as compared to regional anesthesia.40–42 However, many of these studies were confounded by the administration of high doses of intravenous sedatives in the regional anesthesia groups. In fact, many patients in the regional anesthesia groups in these studies may have actually been in a state of general anesthesia from a neuroscience perspective (ie, the patient was sufficiently unconscious during a regional technique as if he/she were receiving general anesthesia). Nonetheless, even in 1 randomized controlled trial that rigorously ensured that patients in the regional group did not receive any intravenous sedation, there was still no difference in delirium rates among the regional versus the general anesthesia groups.42 Thus, the current literature does not support the recommendation that a regional anesthetic technique should be used in place of (or in addition to) general anesthesia to reduce delirium or PND rates. Similarly, a number of studies have examined whether using specific drugs to maintain general anesthesia affect the rates of various types of PND, but no clear consensus recommendations have emerged from these studies.43–49

Intraoperative EEG Monitoring and Anesthetic Titration
Several studies have also examined whether anesthetic titration in response to processed electroencephalography (EEG) monitoring might lower the risk of delirium or POCD. Two studies have found a statistically significant decrease in delirium rates when anesthetic “depth” was titrated based on monitoring with the Bispectral Index (BIS; Medtronic, Minneapolis, MN) monitor (a processed EEG monitor).31 , 39 Four studies have examined the use of processed EEG monitoring with BIS for POCD prevention, and the results have been mixed. One study found lower POCD rates 3 months after surgery in patients who underwent BIS monitoring,31 a second study found no effect,39 and 2 other studies conversely found that patients with lower processed EEG values actually had improved cognition50or lower rates of delirium and POCD.51

However, the BIS monitor uses a proprietary algorithm and has never been specifically validated for use in older adults. Recent theoretical52 and empirical work53suggests that the BIS algorithm may report erroneously high values in most older adults (which could then lead providers to administer unnecessarily high anesthetic dosage in older patients) and may also report lower than normal values in patients with preexisting cognitive impairment or dementia.54 , 55 Further, there is a roughly flat relationship between end-tidal age-adjusted volatile anesthetic concentrations and BIS values over the clinically used range of volatile anesthetics (ie, 0.5–1.5 MAC).53,56 This roughly flat relationship between MAC fraction and BIS values, and the other issues with the BIS discussed above, suggests that titrating anesthetic concentration to the BIS number may be challenging in older adults. This point may explain the lack of large anesthetic dosage differences between patients in the BIS-guided versus BIS-blinded arms of some of the studies discussed above.39

57 , 58 which raises the possibility that either titrating anesthetic delivery to avoid burst suppression or in response to other raw EEG parameters59 (such as those discussed at icetap.org and eegforanesthesia.iars.org) could help reduce the risk of delirium or POCD. Several current studies are examining this possibility60–62; the results of these studies may provide further guidance on how raw EEG-based anesthetic titration might help lower the rates of PND and improve postoperative cognitive function. While there are clearly challenges in the use of current processed EEG monitors, EEG-based anesthetic titration has nonetheless been shown to lower delirium and POCD rates in multiple independent randomized controlled trials (ie, level 1 evidence). Thus, there is strong support for the general principle of EEG-based anesthetic titration to reduce PND rates in older adults (Back to Top | 63–65 after surgery, although other studies have found conflicting evidence.66 , 67 However, different studies have used different thresholds to define hypotension; a systematic review found over 140 different definitions for hypotension in the literature.68This ambiguity highlights the potential importance of defining hypotension based on individualized patient monitoring rather than population cutoffs. Furthermore, there is a right shift in the cerebral autoregulation curve in patients with chronic hypertension, and because many older patients have chronic hypertension, it is important to titrate blood pressure parameters relative to each patient’s baseline blood pressure while considering head height relative to the blood pressure monitoring site.

Near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) is commonly used during cardiac surgery as a real-time continuous monitor of cerebral perfusion. In several studies, an intraoperative decline in NIRS values has been associated with postoperative delirium and/or cognitive change.69 , 70 However, general limitations of these studies include small size, short follow-up, and inconsistent results.71 One randomized study examined the benefit of an intervention protocol based on NIRS values and demonstrated an improvement in major morbidity and mortality in cardiac surgery patients in the intervention arm.72 Importantly, cognitive outcomes were not measured, and these results72 have not been reproduced. However, 2 pilot trials have established feasibility for future, large randomized controlled trials using NIRS to reduce PND,73 , 74 and another study found that the combination of BIS-based and cerebral oximetry–based anesthetic titration reduced POCD in older adults.75 Overall, though, the meeting participants thought that the evidence in support of NIRS to reduce PND was less strong than the evidence in support of EEG-based anesthetic titration to reduce PND.

An alternative method of measuring cerebral perfusion is real-time monitoring of cerebral autoregulation, which can be used to maintain mean arterial pressure above the lower limit of cerebral autoregulation. In patients with traumatic brain injury, deviations of blood pressure above or below the limits of autoregulation have been associated with poor neurological outcomes.76 An investigation in a cardiac surgery population demonstrated that the mean arterial pressure at the lower limit of autoregulation varied widely and could not be predicted using patient variables.77 Further, deviations of blood pressure below the lower limit of autoregulation during cardiac surgery have been associated with both acute kidney injury78 and major morbidity and mortality,79 while deviations above the upper limit of autoregulation have been associated with delirium.80 Together, these results underscore the need for individualized monitoring of cerebral perfusion, and the need for further studies to elucidate the effect of reduced cerebral perfusion on neurocognitive outcomes.

Back to Top | Article Outline
Consensus Statement
“Anesthesiologists should monitor age-adjusted end-tidal MAC fraction, strive to optimize cerebral perfusion, and perform EEG-based anesthetic management in older adults. Further research is needed to evaluate and compare specific brain function monitors, methods, and approaches.”

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Interesting. I often give most patients steroids and a small of haloperidol (0.5-1mg) for PONV. By following these recommendations, we would lose 4 antiemetics (steroids, haloperidol, dimenhidrinate, and metoclopramide).

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. I often give most patients steroids and a small of haloperidol (0.5-1mg) for PONV. By following these recommendations, we would lose 4 antiemetics (steroids, haloperidol, dimenhidrinate, and metoclopramide).

what is the incidence of PONV in patients > 80?

The delivery of good medical care is to do as much nothing as possible.

I'm aware of the literature for POCD and Postop Delirium.

Here is my take based on anecdotal observations:

1. Regional technique
2. Low dose propofol
3. Ketamine added to the Propofol or a little upfront Iv
4. Precedex drip to minimize use of other sedatives (numbers 2 and 3).

I've had good outcomes on patients who previously had delirium postop. The evidence to "prove" my statements are limited at best. Still, "Do no harm" is my goal for each and every patient I encounter so I'll stick with 1-4 until something better comes along.

I'm aware of the literature for POCD and Postop Delirium.

Here is my take based on anecdotal observations:

1. Regional technique
2. Low dose propofol
3. Ketamine added to the Propofol or a little upfront Iv
4. Precedex drip to minimize use of other sedatives (numbers 2 and 3).

I've had good outcomes on patients who previously had delirium postop. The evidence to "prove" my statements are limited at best. Still, "Do no harm" is my goal for each and every patient I encounter so I'll stick with 1-4 until something better comes along.
Don't forget to treat the always present urinary tract infection and dehydration and 1 to 4 will be even more effective

What does positive uti mean to you?
It means a positive UA, and a culture >10^5 CFUs with no more than two organisms in addition to symptoms. Dysuria, suprapubic tenderness, etc...

Otherwise it's asymptomatic bacteruria and doesn't require treatment.

"The format for a performance measure with regard to not treating ASB in adults could be as follows: in adults with ASB (according to the criteria in the IDSA guidelines), no treatment should be initiated if (1) the patient is afebrile and has no signs or symptoms of sepsis, such as hypotension or delirium; (2) the patient is not pregnant; and (3) the patient will not undergo urinary tract instrumentation in the near future."
Reducing Antibiotic Overuse: A Call for a National Performance Measure for Not Treating Asymptomatic Bacteriuria

"There is less apparent benefit to screening for asymptomatic bacteriuria prior to other surgical procedures. In a retrospective study of 489 men who had urine cultures performed prior to undergoing orthopedic, cardiothoracic, and vascular procedures, bacteriuria was uncommon (11 percent of patients) [38]. Preoperative bacteriuria was not associated with an increased risk of surgical site infection. Furthermore, the incidence of subsequent urinary tract infection was not decreased with antibiotic therapy for bacteriuria (3 of 43 untreated versus 2 of 11 treated patients)."
UpToDate

CAUTIs in general are over diagnosed and over treated.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks for posting this.

I think the LACK of association of anesthetic technique with postop delirium or POCD in at-risk patients is the most counterintuitive thing we have going on in anesthesia currently.

I see lots of mental and physical gymnastics trying to avoid GA in identified at-risk patients - and I have done those gymnatics myself.

The idea that GA is worse for these patients has gotten out in the community and it's one of the more common lengthy discussions we have to have with family members about their loved one's anesthesia care.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what the basis for that statement is. Or how it pertains to my initial statement that a positive UA does not equal a UTI.
Well since you shared a piece of medical information:
A positive UA doesn’t equal a UTI. Even in men.
i thought i'd do the same.
If the bacteruria results in polyuria/urgency, leads to more trips to the bathroom (some during the night) that leads to more falls and hip fractures then i call it pathologic.
Men represent < than 5% of the hip fractures i see

Reactions: 1 user
Delirium occurs more frequently with advancing age, but the underlying mechanisms are not clearly understood. Patients with increased postoperative delirium risk require specific attention. Numerous conditions are associated with postoperative delirium, which require specific attention as well.34 A validated model of delirium prediction has been reported based on four criteria evaluated using specific scales, including illness severity (Acute Physiology and Chronic Health Evaluation Score),38 visual impairment (Snellen test),39 cognitive impairment (Mini Mental State Evaluation Score),40 and serum urea/creatinine ratio.41 For hip fracture surgery, postoperative delirium was reported in 37% of patients in the high-risk group compared with 3.8% in the low-risk group.42
Third, half the patients undergoing delirium will develop dementia.44 Finally, dementia can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, because elderly patients with a starting dementia can erroneously be considered normal because of compensatory mechanisms. Delirium was reported as a sign of undetected dementia with a 55% incidence 2 yr later in a small study44 and might accelerate the trajectory of cognitive decline in patients with Alzheimer disease.45

Case Scenario: Postoperative Delirium in Elderly Surgical Patients | Anesthesiology | ASA Publications

Ok, so I will confess to not having read all the studies or the consensus word for word but I think the consensus statement may be missing it's own most important point. It's post OPERATIVE cognitive disfunction, not post Anesthetic cognitive dysfunction. I had a minor procedure recently, the only anesthetic was about 12mg of spinal marcaine and some exparel. Afterwards for the next month I found myself sleeping for 10 to 12 hours a day, way more than usual. Maybe the reason the anesthetic doesn't seem to matter much is that the dysfunction is due to the surgery and the healing involved rather that the anesthesia. To know maybe they need to do some studies where they give an anesthetic without surgery and see how people do.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok, so I will confess to not having read all the studies or the consensus word for word but I think the consensus statement may be missing it's own most important point. It's post OPERATIVE cognitive disfunction, not post Anesthetic cognitive dysfunction. I had a minor procedure recently, the only anesthetic was about 12mg of spinal marcaine and some exparel. Afterwards for the next month I found myself sleeping for 10 to 12 hours a day, way more than usual. Maybe the reason the anesthetic doesn't seem to matter much is that the dysfunction is due to the surgery and the healing involved rather that the anesthesia. To know maybe they need to do some studies where they give an anesthetic without surgery and see how people do.

I have a similar anecdote of an otherwise healthy 95yo surgeon who was the father of one of the surgeons I work with. He received bupiv 9mg spinal and ppf infusion 50mg total for a 1 hr turp with traintrack vitals throughout. He was wide awake and clear as a bell at the end of surgery but he sundowned pretty badly on the first night and was never the same again. Prior to surgery he was living independently in his own home with frequent visits from family. After surgery he was too disoriented to live on his own and was discharged to a nursing home where he died 4months later.

Last edited:
is it common to get paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea after volatiles..?

For GA how about prop infusion, paralysis with roc, and esmolol infusion +/- regional block?

If prompted, I essentially tell patients, especially older ones, that a drop in mental function can be seen in the short-term after surgery (difficulty concentrating, memory impairment, overall slowing), but that it is unclear if it is related to the surgery or the anesthesia or if it is simply an unveiling of a current mental process that up until that point was fairly well compensated. I usually add to this that when the drop is seen there is usually some form of recovery, but it is not clear if it is back to normal or back to where normal would have been a month or so later when that recovery occurs. I summarize all of it by essentially saying a lot of this is unclear and there are no concrete answers except that some people experience a decrease in function following surgery.

It's the stress event which causes the POCD or delirium. They have looked at this in studies without anesthetics and these "stress Events" can by themselves cause the decline in mental status.

Hence, stress events are linked to POCD, depression and other mental health issues even without us to blame.

As we know Regional Anesthesia can decrease (not obliterate) the stress of surgery to some degree. This is true for hydration, pain free or minimal pain postop and supportive family members.

Our job is at best to mitigate the effects of surgery on the patient. So, i think Regional helps in this area but it is far from the only factor.

the problem with things like old hip fracture patients is it's difficult to separate out the surgery and the anesthesia from the just being hospitalized part. Simply being admitted to the hospital is a risk for delirium in an elderly population from the strange environment and altered sleep patterns (if they are sleeping much at all) to the polypharmacy.