Pocket Reference Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ollaguna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What pocket refernce books or PDA softwaare do any of you guys recommend for an MS3 starting cores?

Members don't see this ad.

I liked Mosby's for medicine, Mont Reid for surgery, and Epocrates (PDA) for the meds.

I carry Medical Student's Pocket Reference. It is a small purple book packed full of an enormous amount of info. It has to be about the highest information density of any book i've ever seen. It is basically a summary of 2 years of preclinical med school in a small 3 inch by 4 inch book. It has a few lines on just about anything you can think of in medicine.

I also use the palm 5MCC, which is pretty handy.

And, depending on the rotation, I keep the appropriate recall series book in my coat. I liked surgical recall and neurology recall. I think peds recall is pretty useless. I haven't done medicine recall yet, but it looks pretty handy (and thick).

i like to obsess about books!

-mrp

Members don't see this ad :)
I like mt. reid & surgical recall for surg also.

I used harrison's principles for medicine which was awesome although difficult to get through this book on a clerkship.

5MCC and some drug handbook on a PDA are good.

Some crack cocaine in your left pocket for psych (at least prior to the shelf exam). Just kidding to all those psych guys out there :p .

For the shelf exams, use blueprints for OB and Psych (it really is all you need). I never figured out what to use for Peds (I went bookless and my test score showed it)

The Pre-test series absolutely rules for studying for shelf exams...the questions in the Pre-tests are extremely hard, makes the difficult shelf seem not so bad.

"Pocket Medicine," a black pocketbook put out by the folks at MGH is the best pocketbook I have. It also allows you to put in pages of your own. I found it much more useful (and thinner) than Ferri.

Check out Clinical Medicine Consult. It's about the best PDA text for med students/residents out there. (Look on palmgear.com under 'clinical'.)

There's this great website called pdarounds.com. It's a website by med students for med students, so they have a lot of links and general info that would come in handy for any clinician. Check it out.

Hope this helps.

-Pathchic :clap:

I thought the Washington Manual was really good for my medicine clerkship.