POCUS...hocus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groove

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody familiar with the new APCA, or "ARDMS for Doctors" as I like to think of them? I was trying to figure out which ones were relevant to EM, entertaining the idea of doing it since I never finished my ARDMS after residency and got lazy with it in the last few years. I thought it might be a fun way to brush up on things and earn some more letters after my name since the nurses have got me all sensitized to how many educational titles I can put after MD. (MD FACEPlant just isn't cutting it....)

I guess the one most relevant to us is POCUS?

Is that the best acronym they could come up with???

Anybody done these new fangled Abracadabra Hocus POCUS exams? Are they difficult? (I'm assuming most fellowships will transition to this certification?)

"Currently, the POCUS Academy offers the Emergency Medicine POCUS Certification, which can be earned by completing the assessments for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA), Abdominal Trauma, Cardiac, Hepatobiliary/Spleen, Lower Extremity Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Lung, and Obstetrics/First Trimester Point-of-Care Ultrasound."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why would you need a merit badge when you're board certified in emergency medicine

Reactions: 2 users
"Currently, the POCUS Academy offers the Emergency Medicine POCUS Certification, which can be earned by completing the assessments for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA), Abdominal Trauma, Cardiac, Hepatobiliary/Spleen, Lower Extremity Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Lung, and Obstetrics/First Trimester Point-of-Care Ultrasound."
Soooo, literally what I was required to do in order to graduate from residency? Even if you graduated before US proficiency became a requirement, I'll say that I use/bill for US studies probably once every 10 shifts at most. The rest of the time I just get a tech and rads to do the study.