pod school internship programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sabin

USF Alum. Barry Pod
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on pod school internship programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's too late for some summer programs. I would be interested in attending.

I believe if you use the search function, you'll find a list of such programs on a similar thread.

several pod schools offer mini-internship programs: 1-2 weeks in summer, 3 days - 1 week in winter.

Are these programs worth attending?
:confused:

edit: i mean i'd like to attend these, but there are housing or additional fees involved with everyone (and unfortunatly I don't live near any pod schools). I'm also on a very tight budget :/.

I guess I'm just looking for opinions of those who attended them or knew others who attended them. Also, would they be a slight bonus to an application?

Although I did NOT attend the program here at Temple, I do know people who have. They said the experience was fantastic. They got to shadow docs and they learned a lot about our profession. If you're not sure about podiatry, I would look into one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard many great things about the Temple program as well. Unfortunately, last Friday was the deadline. However, they did extend the deadline by a week (so May 1st) for anyone who attended their Open House a few weeks back.

Thanks!

Last edited:
It's kind of late to apply to the summer programs because most of the deadlines have passed or close to be. But here are the links to each individual program:

DEADLINE
SCHOOL/LINK

April 24, 09
Temple
http://podiatry.temple.edu/pages/prostdnts/ps.html#inte
May 1, 09
CSPM
http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/immersion
June 1, 09
DMU
http://www.dmu.edu/rsvp/podiatrypreview/
June 1, 09
NYCPM
http://www.nycpm.edu/admissions/prehealth_internship.html
May 25, 09 or June 22, 09
OCPM
http://www.ocpm.edu/?page=admission-internships

I haven't participated in the program, but it sounds like fun. Plus, its a great addition to your application!

Good Luck!!!

CSPM's looks nice. Perhaps, I'll do it next summer. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to fly east, lol. For other programs later this summer.

Darklord. CSPM actually covers up to $500 for airfare and room/board for a week. Depending on where you are departing from, Southwest Airlines have deals starting with $49 one way. For example, if you live in Cali and want to travel from LA to Oakland, its only $49 each way! Check it out. ( I only know this bc I've been looking for deals for my interview.)

Due to swine flu, I wonder if they will lower the prices more.:rolleyes:

well the new name for it is N1E1 or something........poor pigs are catching hell because of this....in egypt they decided to kill all the pigs.... :eek: now that is crazy..... and it don't even come from pigs...

I'm from a city where 2 tests are being conducted for the swine flu (out of like the 10 potential cases in the state). Our high school had 1/2 the students not show up today. Our local university has prepared plans to shut down the school (cancel or delay finals) in case of a confirmed case. Now, that is crazy.

well the new name for it is N1E1 or something........poor pigs are catching hell because of this....in egypt they decided to kill all the pigs.... :eek: now that is crazy..... and it don't even come from pigs...

That's horrible and ridiculous. If its one thing I hate (and there's many) its slimeball govt's making examples, or going blindly slaughtering a species due to the "belief" (though clearly misguided most times) that as soon as a crisis arise they need to quell the public's fears and appease them through some off the wall response. 9 times out of 10, the responsible parties never are found or implicated, but rather some poor innocent animal goes to its death from inept dimwits thinking they are the "knowing/vigilant authority". What a complete waste of time these so-called, self-propagated bs "authorities" are. :mad: :thumbdown:

If you think I'm mad, you're right.

It's H1N1. What's interesting is that so many people still believe that you can get the flu by eating bacon or pork.

On another note, I've heard positive things about the internships, especially for those who haven't really been exposed to our profession.

Last edited:
I went on the OCPM internship several years ago, it was one of the last years in the old building. We saw the new building as they were renovating. You just had to pay for the plane ticket and everything else was covered by the school. We stayed with students, got some experience shadowing in the clinic and a surgery or two, and learned about the profession from local alumni. Acceptance to the programs is pretty lax, as it's used as a recruiting tool. It was a great way to see Cleveland for the first and last time, haha.

I highly recommend going to any of them. Back then I believe OCPM and Temple were the only schools to offer a structured program.