Podiatric Medicine in 7 years ++

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futurepod2014

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in my first week of podiatry school. My courseload appears to be a total of around 60 hours per week studying/lecture/lab on average and school costs almost 50K per year. I am concerned because today some students and I were discussing the future of healthcare and the future of podiatry. I want to know how you think podiatrists will be paid in about 7-8 years from now. I want to make sure I am going choosing a career path that will be rewarding financially after all of this hardwork and dedication. Can anyone shed some light?
 
I want to make sure I am going choosing a career path that will be rewarding financially after all of this hardwork and dedication. Can anyone shed some light?

IMO it all depends upon what the insurance companies choose to reimburse for in 7 yrs. It's funny...the polls show a NEED for podiatrists nationwide because of a growing elderly population. It would follow that reimbursements for conservative care/preventative measures like orthotics, etc. would have an explosion in today's market. It's the opposite. Nail debridements, pt. evaluations, are NOT being covered at an alarming rate in my geographic location. I can't speak for other parts of the USA but if it's this hard where I'm in practice I would think it's this way all over the USA.
In prior posts it was mentioned that the way to do well is to obtain a surgical residency and try to get into a group practice. I completely agree. The other way is to go with a VA, but again this requires surgical residency training.
Many years ago when I entered pod school, nursing home work was great! We were licensed right out of school and could make a career out of this type of work. INSURANCE paid! Clinic work may still pay but it depends upon the clinic.
Stick with surgery, it's the way to go. It is NOT where the need is greatest but it's where you'll make a living.
An example for you, in $s and cents. My biller sent out $1400 in claims for several patients who have a medicare outsourced insurance. I was reimbursed $25.49. This doesn't even cover the cost of the CIDEX I used. Stick with surgery! LOL!
 
My biller sent out $1400 in claims for several patients who have a medicare outsourced insurance. I was reimbursed $25.49.
Ouch! In my first year of practice I received a check from insurance for a whopping total of $1.00. I don't recall what I billed for that patient but whatever it was I'm sure it was more than $1.00.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ouch! In my first year of practice I received a check from insurance for a whopping total of $1.00. I don't recall what I billed for that patient but whatever it was I'm sure it was more than $1.00.

Thanks...now I don't feel so bad....hahahahaha.
 
I'm sorrry, but I would not recommend that you follow the advice of podpal, since she can not speak from the experience of someone who has a "full spectrum" practice.

Please do a search on this site, and I will reiterate again and again and again, that although our practice does offer major reconstructive surgery to our patients, it is NOT, yes, it is NOT our "money maker".

Surgical training is crucial for dozens of reasons, and it is extremely important for you to be able to offer your patients the full spectrum of conservative and surgical options.

However, when you have an extremely busy office, performing surgery is NOT always the most profitable aspect of a practice, despite podpal's comments.

She keeps pointing out how great it is to go to the hospital and perform a surgery and get the big bucks. What she doesn't realize is that surgery doesn't always pay "big bucks" and that when you are in the O.R., you are not in your office generating income. I've done this before, but I'll do it again;

-You must take into consideration your travel time to and from the hospital or surgical center

-You must take into consideration the time spent doing the pre-op work in the facility prior to getting into the O.R., such as meeting with the patient, checking the chart, speaking with the family, reviewing films, labs,etc.

-You must consider the possibility of your case being "bumped" or delayed due to the O.R. running behind schedule or having an emergency case delay your elective case

-You must consider the actual time it takes to perform your case

-You must consider the time FOLLOWING the surgery to dictate the op report, finish up the post op paperwork, review instructions with the patient in recovery (after the patient is coherent enough to understand), talk to the family to let them know everything is OK, etc.

-You must remember that included in the fee for surgery is a "global" period, meaning that depending on the surgical procedure, you can not bill or receive any additional payment for follow up visits for 30, 60, 90 days. That in essence "dilutes" the surgical payment when you break it down per visit.

Naturally, each insurance company pays differently. A while ago, I performed a subtalar arthrodesis (NOT arthroreisis) and I was paid a whopping $348, with a global fee of 90 days.

If I performed a permanent ingrown nail procedure on that same patient (a "P & A") with the same insurance company, I would have received $238. The ingrown nail procedure would take me literally 3-4 minutes after I anesthetized the toe, and I wouldn't have to leave my office and there is either no global period or a 10 day global period.

YOU do the math to see which is more profitable.

Don't get me wrong. I love performing surgery, and it's a very important part of our practice. I perform surgery when it's indicated.

It's a shame that podpal has no surgical training, but it's also a fallacy that the only way to make money is via surgery. As I've also stated on this site, we have a very large practice, and although every member of our practice is ABPS certified, one of my partners has stopped performing surgery and he is CONSISTENTLY the top producer in our practice. And as I've also stated, despite the amount of surgery I perform, my numbers aren't even close to his and he does NOT perform ANY surgery.

Getting back to the original question regarding income potential in 7 years.......there is no way to predict or guess what's going to happen. I believe everything will be okay, and that you should simply worry about your grades and doing the best you can at the present time.

Work hard, obtain a good residency, be prepared to work hard in practice and treat your patients honestly and ethically and you WILL earn a decent living and will be above the curve.

There is a "sticky" on this site that the moderators chose to keep as a permanent post that I wrote a while back regarding DPM income. You may want to take a look at it, since it addresses some issues I believe are important.

Surgical training IS imperative, but in my opinion, most successful practices are those that provide the full spectrum of services, and it's the rare practice that derives the majority of it's revenue from surgery.
 
Dang it Boss, now you're starting to confuse me.

As I've also stated on this site, we have a very large practice, and although every member of our practice is ABPS certified...

We have a doctor that works part time for our practice (he/she also has his/her own practice) and does housecalls, nursing homes, etc., for our practice. This doctor is NOT board certified by any board and is on every insurance panel and gets paid the exact same amount as every doctor in our practice per procedure.

Is he or she a subcontractor to do the out-of-office stuff only?
 
To the original poster...PADPM made some great points. I often thought the same things you did while stressed out and studying for tests. I was in the middle of a test, that I was not prepared for, and was thinking of what other profession I should go into. Podiatry's future is bright and don't let anyone on here tell you otherwise. Don't look on here any longer for advice. I would join the AAPPM club at your school and listen to their lectures. Hang around positive people and don't get caught up in the negative BS. You should get well surgically trained although it doesn't reimburse well at the time. Focusing mainly on treating the patient well and ethically mixed with great practice management skills will yield a great income. If Podiatrists are not making a decent income, they need to make some changes and get some business help.
Stay in Podiatry! Weather through the first 2 years and life will get better. Don't worry about the money thing too much. I recently had to get a bigger car for my growing family and couldn't get a car loan and was very stressed over that. It will be a huge debt to pay down, sure, but worrying about it doesn't lower the debt. What will lower the debt is learning all you can while in school, getting a good residency, and learning as much as you can about the business side of Podiatry. Again, seek out the AAPPM.
 
NatCH,

I believe he/she is a subcontractor for our practice, since this doctor has his/her own practice and when the doctor does house calls and nursing home visits for us, he/she sets the schedule, brings the equipment, goes on the days that are convenient for him/her, etc. I believe the way services are provided do fall under the subcontractor guidelines with no crossing the line. The services are not provided in our office, we do not set the hours, we do not set the schedule, we do not provide the equipment, we do not supply "staff", etc.

However, I'm not positive whether this doctor is paid as a subcontractor or employee. I will actually have to ask our practice administrator or one of my partners. We all have different aspects of the practice we "manage" and that's not my responsibility. I stay away from the money issues, and the computer stuff. I'm more involved with medical/academic issues in the office, medical technology, instrumentation, sterilization monitoring, chart review and cleaning the microwave.

Godfather,

There IS a light at the end of the tunnel and as I've stated many times, practice hard, treat your patients well and ethically and you will make a much better than average living.
 
This is such a difficult question to address effectively. There are so many variables its virtually impossible to ascertain what our billing and reimbursement situation will be in the next decade. From who our government will be, to the stauts of healthcare, to what type of services your practice offers based on what you are comfortable doing (NOT what kind of training you had) and the list goes on and on.

Life is full of unknowns. Do what you love to do and all will come in good time. Work hard. I was once told that good luck seems to always comes to those of us that work the hardest.

You have chosen a wonderful profession where the world is your oyster if you know how to carry yourself and how to display your practice and skills.

Good luck.