Podiatric Residency programs and Foreign students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AldoPod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

First of all, I'd like to thank in advance for the time spent reading and trying to answer this bundle of question I've been having for a long time.
I am a podiatrist from Spain, completed my 4 year of preparation in one of the universities from here. Last june I wondered If it would be possible for a foreign student to get into a residency program in US, so I made a little bit of research in google, but nothing clarifying showed up. Then I finally found the CASPR website, and I decided to contact somebody from them and ask personally.

To sum up, a nice administrative assisant, told me that It wasn't possible to get into a residency program unless I was graduated from an US College. But she suggested that maybe it would be a great idea to contact somebody from the college I would be interested in.

So then i wrote an email to somebody from NYCPM, and asked if I would have any chance to be convalidated for the 4 years that I had already passed here in Spain. Apparently, not.

Then I kinda gave up, and decided to join a Master Degree in Health Research, as a pathway to a future doctorate.

My real question here, once I have exposed all my situation, is:

- Do somebody of you, podiatrists, residents and physicians know of somebody from a foreign country that made it possible to attend a residency program? If not, Do you know any way to do it?

Just in case, is it possible to start a Doctorate in any of the universities over there, being a foreigner, I know some people has done it before, but I have not any way to contact them.

And I guess that's all, thank you all again, and I look forward to hearing from you with useful answers.

Members don't see this ad.

You could always get the DPM again here if you really want to practice here sure fire. I am sure you would have to take the APMLE parts 1-3 before residency is possible. Perhaps contact the AACPM on guidance.
Best of luck

several schools have foreign MDs who have successfully completed podiatry school, either starting from P1 or P2 depending on the individual situation.

several schools have foreign MDs who have successfully completed podiatry school, either starting from P1 or P2 depending on the individual situation.

I know NYCPM has a special arrangement with UQTR in (Montreal) Canada in terms of residency (entering 4th year at NYCPM and then onto the residency match). From what I understand, that window is closed at the moment but there is talk of it being re-opened in 2017. Would you know anything about that, Josebi? Or could you point me in the right direction?