Podiatrists and Shoe Stores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrfeet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day, with all of the foot problems that our patients have by wearing the wrong sized shoes, needing custom orthotics, or plain old manufactured inserts, why don't more podiatrists open up shoe stores or at least have a shoe section in their practices?

Have you ever noticed that when you go to the optometrist, they usually have an entire portion of their office dedicated to displaying glasses. Furthermore, that's how most optometrists make a bulk of their money: by selling eyeglasses.

I think that as podiatrists we could really increase our profits if we sold shoes in-house. Think about it: a patient comes in with a foot problem. Instead of sending them up the road to Payless, you simply show them a selection of shoes in your office that could benefit them.

Remember, Dr. Scholl started off as a shoe salesman!!!

Let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

mrfeet said:
I was thinking the other day, with all of the foot problems that our patients have by wearing the wrong sized shoes, needing custom orthotics, or plain old manufactured inserts, why don't more podiatrists open up shoe stores or at least have a shoe section in their practices?

Have you ever noticed that when you go to the optometrist, they usually have an entire portion of their office dedicated to displaying glasses. Furthermore, that's how most optometrists make a bulk of their money: by selling eyeglasses.

I think that as podiatrists we could really increase our profits if we sold shoes in-house. Think about it: a patient comes in with a foot problem. Instead of sending them up the road to Payless, you simply show them a selection of shoes in your office that could benefit them.

I think that is a great idea. I actually had that thought myself while walking through a famous footwear shoe store a couple months ago. I had some serious foot pain due to working on my feet 60 hours a week, so I needed to find some shoes that actually would make it better for me. After returning four pairs of different shoes, I found a pair that would be ok. However, I have yet to find the perfect shoe.

It would bring in more $$$, especially if you could chose the right shoe for the foot and match it with a custom orthotic that you designed for the patient. "Kinda like fitting the correct lens for that patient to the preferred eye glass frame" Makes sense to me, if Optometrists do it, why can't Podiatrists? :cool:
Now we need to invent some corrective laser treatment that we could put a patients foot/ankle in a frame, zap it with some magical laser, and charge some major $$ for a 15 minute corrective foot surgery. :laugh:

But I am serious about the shoe sales, we could get some cool sponsers like new balance or some other big shoe companies.

doclm said:
I think that is a great idea. I actually had that thought myself while walking through a famous footwear shoe store a couple months ago. I had some serious foot pain due to working on my feet 60 hours a week, so I needed to find some shoes that actually would make it better for me. After returning four pairs of different shoes, I found a pair that would be ok. However, I have yet to find the perfect shoe.

It would bring in more $$$, especially if you could chose the right shoe for the foot and match it with a custom orthotic that you designed for the patient. "Kinda like fitting the correct lens for that patient to the preferred eye glass frame" Makes sense to me, if Optometrists do it, why can't Podiatrists? :cool:
Now we need to invent some corrective laser treatment that we could put a patients foot/ankle in a frame, zap it with some magical laser, and charge some major $$ for a 15 minute corrective foot surgery. :laugh:

But I am serious about the shoe sales, we could get some cool sponsers like new balance or some other big shoe companies.

Welcome to "FootCrafters", where your shoes are made-to-order in 30 mintues or less or you get a second pair -- FREE! :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
mrfeet said:

Some pods do this already. As for me personally, Im not a shoe salesman nor do I ever want to be. Ill leave that to the experts at Famous Footwear.

That is why you find a good pedorthist and make nice. Or if you've got the money, buy them out and move. You don't have time to sell shoes.

Granted you would probably charge more for the service and what not but I know several people that own shoe stores and they aren't exactly in the money or anything. Shoes take up slightly more room than glasses, besides the fact that you'd have to deal with inventory and dealing with all the different companies to get styles in and what not. I am not a podiatrist so I really don't know but you probably wouldn't have too much time and would need to hire someone just to do that side of the business for you. Overall I think it'd be more hassle than it is worth for the extra money you'd receive versus, say, hiring a financial advisor and making some smart investments and building up a nice little portfolio.

In my opinion, if podiatry is going to be seen on par with the MDs and DOs, we're most certainly going to have to shed this shoe sales/supply thing.

I mean it's great to make some spending cash making some wickedly ugly shoes, but this can be done (and should be done) by individuals without a medical degree.

If we're going to sell shoes, maybe we should set our sights a little more lofty like running a concession stand where we sell diet soda for diabetics and corn chips for the hungry clients. We wouldn't want our patients to be hungry while they wait for their appointment! Plus, their proximal smell will more closely match their distal smell.

While we're at it maybe we could also have a used car lot out back where we could outfit them with some skids that would match the dandy loafers we just sold them!

We could also sell cosmetics and personal care items just like the old-tyme general store!

If you want to make/sell shoes/corn chips/cars etc I suggest that you go to a trade school and learn the trade of running a concession stand... don't waste your time learning the medical sciences to craft foam inserts from.... foam...

"Would you like a bag for your corn chips and new shoes?"

whiskers said:
In my opinion, if podiatry is going to be seen on par with the MDs and DOs, we're most certainly going to have to shed this shoe sales/supply thing.

I mean it's great to make some spending cash making some wickedly ugly shoes, but this can be done (and should be done) by individuals without a medical degree.

If we're going to sell shoes, maybe we should set our sights a little more lofty like running a concession stand where we sell diet soda for diabetics and corn chips for the hungry clients. We wouldn't want our patients to be hungry while they wait for their appointment! Plus, their proximal smell will more closely match their distal smell.

While we're at it maybe we could also have a used car lot out back where we could outfit them with some skids that would match the dandy loafers we just sold them!

We could also sell cosmetics and personal care items just like the old-tyme general store!

If you want to make/sell shoes/corn chips/cars etc I suggest that you go to a trade school and learn the trade of running a concession stand... don't waste your time learning the medical sciences to craft foam inserts from.... foam...

Whiskers maybe you are onto something here. Why stop at shoes when we can really ***** ourselves out. Anything for a buck right? :D

Dr_Feelgood said:
Whiskers maybe you are onto something here. Why stop at shoes when we can really ***** ourselves out. Anything for a buck right? :D

hey - don't blow-up my spot. How did you know how I was paying for pod school?

whiskers said:

Whoa!!! Settle down there sport!

The podiatrist would not run the store. In fact, the store would not even be in the office. The store would be adjacent to the office and you would hire someone to run it for you.

Jeesh, lay off the caffeine Whiskers!

In the podiatry management email today (barry block email) it spoke of a DPM in Hawaii that has a shoe store attached to his practice. he is a pedorthist as well.

just thought I'd mention it.

Also, I did not know where to post this and I did not think it required its own thread. A pet peeve of mine is the use of words correctly. I know this is not English class or even formal writing. I know there are typos but this word has been used wrong over and over and over....

Their - possesive in the plural. example: I have their books. This means that the books I have belong to them.

There - directional word, tells location. example: the books are over there. meaning that the books are not here.

Please try to use these words correctly - it makes reading the posts easier.

krabmas said:
In the podiatry management email today (barry block email) it spoke of a DPM in Hawaii that has a shoe store attached to his practice. he is a pedorthist as well.

Also, I did not know where to post this and I did not think it required its own thread. A pet peeve of mine is the use of words correctly. I know this is not English class or even formal writing. I know there are typos but this word has been used wrong over and over and over....

Their - possesive in the plural. example: I have their books. This means that the books I have belong to them.

There - directional word, tells location. example: the books are over there. meaning that the books are not here.

Get over it Krab. Its not any harder to understand, just admit it. If I can let the word "anyways" go (and believe me, more people say and type that non-existent word than any other) then you can sure let "their" go by. Anyways, just let it go.

IlizaRob said:
Get over it Krab. Its not any harder to understand, just admit it. If I can let the word "anyways" go (and believe me, more people say and type that non-existent word than any other) then you can sure let "their" go by. Anyways, just let it go.

Anyways, their are better things to worry about.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It took me awhile to think of that. I'm a simple fellow.:D A simple fellow who needs more cowbell. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr_Feelgood said:
Anyways, their are better things to worry about.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It took me awhile to think of that. I'm a simple fellow.:D A simple fellow who needs more cowbell. :laugh:

Aaaah yeeeah. I know what you mean bro. Put some cowbell in my IV and Im ready to go.

Hey Feelgood, I think I just......yeah......I just got an idea. Instead of clapping for guest lectures (or any lecturer for that matter) in class, we should all bring cowbells. That'll give them the energy to finish the day. We'll be heros I tell you.

IlizaRob said:
Aaaah yeeeah. I know what you mean bro. Put some cowbell in my IV and Im ready to go.

Hey Feelgood, I think I just......yeah......I just got an idea. Instead of clapping for guest lectures (or any lecturer for that matter) in class, we should all bring cowbells. That'll give them the energy to finish the day. We'll be heros I tell you.

:laugh: Let's do it. :laugh:

Yeah Gusty and I had a tree kickin contest last time we set sail with Captain Morgan.

maybe with a little therapy and some more cowbell I'll be able to let it go.

anyways.. back to studying for my last test of my podiatric collegiate career that will affect my GPA.

It's a terrifying thing to truly understand the completely misunderstood....

Anyways :love: , we should all be more cautious with our words lest we quarrel! And don't use " " either, mate.

What do you mean Whiskers? No more using words like weiner, or made up words like anyways?

I am Austrian and I think I actually prefer veiner... Now I'm confused and all it took was a mispelt word!

krabmas said:

Sorry Krabmas, I forgot that you have your Ph.D. in Linguistics from Harvard!!!

(I'm laughing at my own sarcasm)

P.S. I edited the post to "there." Is your OCD personality happy now???

mrfeet said:

Funny thing is that many linguists would argue for the "incorrect" way as well. There is the side that feels that however one speaks or writes their native language is correct as long as it is a recurring trend and by speaking proper english one is actually perceived poorly by society.lol Things like who versus whom, saying "This is he/she" when answering the phone..stuff like that. Also, there seems to be a magical point where the more educated someone is, the weirder the language constructions they use...usually to sound more educated. (My german/applied linguistics professor caught himself doing it as he was explaining it to me)

mrfeet said:

I do have slight OCD tendencies. oh well. :cool:

MossPoh said:
Funny thing is that many linguists would argue for the "incorrect" way as well. There is the side that feels that however one speaks or writes their native language is correct as long as it is a recurring trend and by speaking proper english one is actually perceived poorly by society.lol Things like who versus whom, saying "This is he/she" when answering the phone..stuff like that. Also, there seems to be a magical point where the more educated someone is, the weirder the language constructions they use...usually to sound more educated. (My german/applied linguistics professor caught himself doing it as he was explaining it to me)

Exactly. How many kids would be as excited to go if it was "Toys Are We."

Who is better qualified to design shoes that people that specialize in the foot? It could open a whole new area of Podiatric specialty. Plus, think about how ugly most orthodic shoes are. Old people deserve cute shoes too!!!!!! :D

molldoll2010dpm said:
Who is better qualified to design shoes that people that specialize in the foot? It could open a whole new area of Podiatric specialty. Plus, think about how ugly most orthodic shoes are. Old people deserve cute shoes too!!!!!! :D

Those orthodic shoes are very ugly, you can almost stimatize a person by ordering them for a patient. C'mon, we need people to wear the shoes that are good for their feet and look cool, not some unhealthy fashionable gucci or prada shoe that looks cute or ugly shoe that is vinyl brown with untasteful velcro straps. Also is there any sandles out there that are good for people feet?

doclm said:
Those orthodic shoes are very ugly, you can almost stimatize a person by ordering them for a patient. C'mon, we need people to wear the shoes that are good for their feet and look cool, not some unhealthy fashionable gucci or prada shoe that looks cute or ugly shoe that is vinyl brown with untasteful velcro straps. Also is there any sandles out there that are good for people feet?

I haven't found any sandals that are really "good". I know some that are way cute! That's why the people need Podiatrists to take a role in shoe design and manufacturing. What does Prada really know about feet anyways?

doclm said:

the good orthopedic shoes are made of deer skin. it is the softest leather so it does not bother the patients foot.

the shoes are ugly because that is the shape of the patients foot. most feet are not pointy, they are squared.

krabmas said:
the good orthopedic shoes are made of deer skin. it is the softest leather so it does not bother the patients foot.

the shoes are ugly because that is the shape of the patients foot. most feet are not pointy, they are squared.

Deer skin breaks down too quickly because it is soft, most of my patients haven't been too keen on buying new ones once they've worn out their first pair....

You DO NOT want to sell shoes in your private practice... I trained in a clinic that stocks shoes. It is risky, you need a good stock for sizing and people don't like orthopedic shoes. They are always asking for special orders of stuff that isn't podiatrically apropriate.... and then don't want to buy it 'it looks different than in the catelogue'. You can't give big discounts over suggested retail anyhow (offer it as a service to your patients) because of competition laws.

If you can hire on a good assistant/clerical who can do your foot wear fitting, and are willing to take the risk in ordering a full width and size run of 3 different shoes in both men and women, go for it. It's not a real money maker, it takes too much of your precious and expensive time if you're doing it yourself. Just go out there and meet the retailers in your area, and refer to those who stock good stuff and know how to fit shoes. Just don't offer discounts or take kick-backs from referrals or they may take away your licence to practice.

Good Sandals: BITE, removable foot bed. Come in sporty and casual. Some European ones are good too. Capsoles are like MD/OR clogs designed by DPMs!! The insole that comes in it will custom mold to your foot when you gradually break it in, or you can remove it and have a CFO designed to fit in it.

Right now, Paris Orthotics in BC will make a custom foot orthotic to go right in the sandals/capsoles so they work really well together and fit the foot correctly. They have some new stuff, really funky, but it's not on their website yet.