Podiatrists as administrators or consultants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can pods that want to leave day-to-day patient care or research, end up in administrative roles or consulting roles with their backgrounds? I know many dentists that have become VP's/CEO's of various health maintenance type organizations or other insurance agencies. Can pods do much the same?

Members don't see this ad.

capo said:
Can pods that want to leave day-to-day patient care or research, end up in administrative roles or consulting roles with their backgrounds? I know many dentists that have become VP's/CEO's of various health maintenance type organizations or other insurance agencies. Can pods do much the same?

As far as consulting goes, Dr. Stephen Barrett at AZPOD spends a day a week consulting. He might be the exception though. The rest of the week, he does mainly peripheral neurosurgery and several procedures he invented.

AZPOD Rocks

Dr. Mandracchia at Broadlawns in Des Moines is the head of the surgical department and works on that upper level stuff. He also works in podiatry; I think he likes having his hand in all of the cookie jars.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the head honchos at the hospital I work at was a DPM.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Dr. Mandracchia at Broadlawns in Des Moines is the head of the surgical department and works on that upper level stuff. He also works in podiatry; I think he likes having his hand in all of the cookie jars.

He used to be head of surgery. He is now Chief of staff.

IlizaRob said:
He used to be head of surgery. He is now Chief of staff.
Of surgery or podiatry staff? Big difference, no?

capo said:

Sure a DPM can be an administrator. It really depends on the individual though & how qualified they are. Certainly MD, DDS, or DPM degrees do not qualify you to "administer". I think many positions are filled by MDs only because of the sheer number of individuals possessing that degree and not because an MD somehow makes you automatically qualified. Most of these people have already done an MBA or have other degrees of actual value.

Experience is probably the biggest thing to look for in qualified individuals.

capo said:

He was the head of all surgeons. Not just podiatrist. And now I guess he is the head of everyone.

LAZYGUY said:
Sure a DPM can be an administrator. It really depends on the individual though & how qualified they are. Certainly MD, DDS, or DPM degrees do not qualify you to "administer". I think many positions are filled by MDs only because of the sheer number of individuals possessing that degree and not because an MD somehow makes you automatically qualified. Most of these people have already done an MBA or have other degrees of actual value.

Experience is probably the biggest thing to look for in qualified individuals.

:thumbup: This is true. Mandracchia has a masters degree as well, I dont know what in, but he has been there a long time too.

Would getting an online MBA during residency suffice, and help boost your chances of adminstrative positions upon completion of residency? Or would you need much time in practice before trying to get into administrative roles?

Could one even skip residency (or do a minimum 2-year rather than a longer 3-year) and go right toward an MBA and thus, be a DPM/MBA but never practice but rather go for insurance or managed care type organizations as a corporate professional? In essence using the DPM degree as a stepping stone to obtain a lucrative healthcare administrative position or medical director post, as soon as possible upon pod school graduation.

Just curious if this is a possible realistic scenario?

Also, I've got a friend who is a CEO (and makes millions - ok not millions, but lots of green :D ) for a pharmaceutical advertising agency. He simply has a BA in Marketing and has worked his way up this far, w/ zero medical background other than working in the pharm sales mangement/marketing industry.

Could a DPM w/ a background in business/marketing, be able to help in product development of orthotics or drugs or move into management, marketing or administration?

capo said:
Would getting an online MBA during residency suffice, and help boost your chances of adminstrative positions upon completion of residency? Or would you need much time in practice before trying to get into administrative roles?

Could one even skip residency (or do a minimum 2-year rather than a longer 3-year) and go right toward an MBA and thus, be a DPM/MBA but never practice but rather go for insurance or managed care type organizations as a corporate professional? In essence using the DPM degree as a stepping stone to obtain a lucrative healthcare administrative position or medical director post, as soon as possible upon pod school graduation.

Just curious if this is a possible realistic scenario?

Also, I've got a friend who is a CEO (and makes millions - ok not millions, but lots of green :D ) for a pharmaceutical advertising agency. He simply has a BA in Marketing and has worked his way up this far, w/ zero medical background other than working in the pharm sales mangement/marketing industry.

Could a DPM w/ a background in business/marketing, be able to help in product development of orthotics or drugs or move into management, marketing or administration?

you can be a consultant in any field regardless of your degree, just be good at BSing and have connections and BAM your a genious consultant.

MD2b20004 said:
you can be a consultant in any field regardless of your degree, just be good at BSing and have connections and BAM your a genious consultant.
Consultant I agree but what if you wanted to actually be employed within an organization in administration/healthcare management, not just an independent contractor as is a consultant?