Podiatry-> MD/DO????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you guys recommend for me??

• MD

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • DO

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Podiatry

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Top!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
who cares if he/she is trollin'. I love these kinds of threads. I honestly don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about these posts.

who cares if he/she is trollin'. I love these kinds of threads. I honestly don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about these posts.

I do.

People (should) come to use this website for help; not for play time. Go to the Lounge for the fun...there is no need for even more garbage in Pre-Allo.

I think the TOS needs to be revised for stuff like this.

I do.

People (should) come to use this website for help; not for play time. Go to the Lounge for the fun...there is no need for even more garbage in Pre-Allo.

I think the TOS needs to be revised for stuff like this.

Sorry, I didn't know you were the moral arbitrator of the internet. Yeah anyone who goes to any website should behave as if he were President.

Get over it. It's not like he's making personal attacks.

Sorry, I didn't know you were the moral arbitrator of the internet. Yeah anyone who goes to any website should behave as if he were President.

Get over it. It's not like he's making personal attacks.

That's exactly what I said.

A+ for reading comprehension.

Hi everyone! I'm brand new here, so please excuse me if my post is too long. Well, I'll start off with a little background. I am in my 4th year at fairly prestigious CC (as prestigious as a CC can get :oops:), and this is mostly due to having to work A LOT during school. I am transferring next Spring to a local university. For as long as I can remember I have really wanted to be a Podiatrist. I really like feet (nearly a fetish :laugh:), and I think it's a good job. I've been having some doubts lately though. I just wanted to know what you guys think about possibly switching to MD (preferably) or DO. Here are some of my stats:

-3.06 GPA (I think it'd be much higher if I didn't go to a school with such grade deflation! :mad:)
-MCAT: 9BS, 8PS, 7VR, L (I know that the writing is low, but I hear that lots of people have trouble with VR and that the writing doesn't matter much. Will my VR make up for my writing/show that is was just a fluke score?).
-I am a URM student. Not sure if this matters as much as everyone says though. :confused:
-2 months shadowing a podiatrist (4hrs/week)
-1 year volunteering at local hospital
-1 week volunteer trip in third world country working for a podiatrist. VERY hands on experience.

So, do you guys think I stand a shot at any MD/DO schools? Would I need to shadow a non-foot doctor/volunteer somewhere unrelated to feet? I don't want to come off as a really creepy foot-feeler when applying to medical school, so should I let them know that the foot-related activities were because I was pursuing podiatry? Do you think they'd be biased against someone with a fetish like me? I am just really passionate about helping people. Thank you so much for your time guys!! :)

If you want to be a podiatrist...you'll likely get in somewhere. If you want to be a doctor, then consider going the DO route. For DO, you will need to shadow an osteopathic physician. You should also get clinical volunteering experience. Here is what I'd consider if you're serious about going DO:

1. Consider retaking a few (2-3) classes that you received a C or lower in AND you think you can now get an A in. (DO schools allow for grade replacement, so replacing a poor grade with an excellent grade will help your GPA tremendously!)

2. You didn't mention your major. Considering your poor VR and writing scores, it seems like you need to focus your efforts towards improving those areas. I think you should consider majoring in a reading/writing intensive discipline like English, History, Humanities, Philosophy, or Religious Studies. Several years of such instruction would likely do wonders for your MCAT scores. Also, and this depends on the University, certain majors such as Religious Studies are often known for relatively high GPAs (grade inflation)....which might really help you out! Psychology might also be a good in-between option (between science and humanities) for you to consider from a GPA and writing-intensive perspective.

3. Be sure to take a few science courses at your four year. Good choices are Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, Cell Biology, and Physiology. These should also help you improve your future MCAT scores.

4. If you are black, then you really have a shot at the historically-black MD schools as long as you can show an upward trend from where you are now.

5. Stop working so much if you want to become a doctor. Take out loans or reduce expenses and focus primarily on your studies!!!!

6. Suggestions 2, 3, & 5 also apply to podiatry! Good luck. It sounds like you are very goal orientated and are going to do great!

Last edited:
If you want to be a podiatrist...you'll likely get in somewhere. If you want to be a doctor, then consider going the DO route. For DO, you will need to shadow an osteopathic physician. You should also get clinical volunteering experience. Here is what I'd consider if you're serious about going DO:

1. Consider retaking a few (2-3) classes that you received a C or lower in AND you think you can now get an A in. (DO schools allow for grade replacement, so replacing a poor grade with an excellent grade will help your GPA tremendously!)

2. You didn't mention your major. Considering your poor VR and writing scores, it seems like you need to focus your efforts towards improving those areas. I think you should consider majoring in a reading/writing intensive discipline like English, History, Humanities, Philosophy, or Religious Studies. Several years of such instruction would likely do wonders for your MCAT scores. Also, and this depends on the University, certain majors such as Religious Studies are often known for relatively high GPAs (grade inflation)....which might really help you out! Psychology might also be a good in-between option (between science and humanities) for you to consider from a GPA and writing-intensive perspective.

3. Be sure to take a few science courses at your four year. Good choices are Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, Cell Biology, and Physiology. These should also help you improve your future MCAT scores.

4. If you are black, then you really have a shot at the historically-black MD schools as long as you can show an upward trend from where you are now.

5. Stop working so much if you want to become a doctor. Take out loans or reduce expenses and focus primarily on your studies!!!!

6. Suggestions 2, 3, & 5 also apply to podiatry! Good luck. It sounds like you are very goal orientated and are going to do great!

Excellent advice :thumbup::thumbup:

best advice of this thread thus far :thumbup:

This is why I can't stand SDN most of the time... So many condescending pre-meds.

It may make you feel better to know that I responded in a sardonic fashion because I believe the OP to be a silly troll. I'm actually quite nice and helpful to the majority of people I come across :).

Members don't see this ad :)
tl;dr but based on the poll results, most SDN members think you should pursue podiatry. However, it is ultimately up to you to make that decision. Good luck

This thread sums in Pre-Allo as a whole.

Sorry to bump this, but OP what was the outcome of your conundrum if you don't mind sharing?

Is that sarcasm? :(

You dare suggest that at any time, I might not be completely serious? I'm hurt, sir, terribly hurt. OP's struggle represents a dynamic conflict within each of us, and his VR is our mountain as well.

For shame. For shame.

You dare suggest that at any time, I might not be completely serious? I'm hurt, sir, terribly hurt. OP's struggle represents a dynamic conflict within each of us, and his VR is our mountain as well.

For shame. For shame.

what-i-dont-even.jpg

tl;dr but based on the poll results, most SDN members think you should pursue podiatry. However, it is ultimately up to you to make that decision. Good luck

demh23 and his disciples... R.I.P.

tumblr_lajy3isGZR1qanlfzo1_500.png

Sutton, you eat a lot of popcorn. Maybe you should looking into eating some mutton, sutton, it's healthier.

Hi everyone! I'm brand new here, so please excuse me if my post is too long. Well, I'll start off with a little background. I am in my 4th year at fairly prestigious CC (as prestigious as a CC can get :oops:), and this is mostly due to having to work A LOT during school. I am transferring next Spring to a local university. For as long as I can remember I have really wanted to be a Podiatrist. I really like feet (nearly a fetish :laugh:), and I think it's a good job. I've been having some doubts lately though. I just wanted to know what you guys think about possibly switching to MD (preferably) or DO. Here are some of my stats:

-3.06 GPA (I think it'd be much higher if I didn't go to a school with such grade deflation! :mad:)
-MCAT: 9BS, 8PS, 7VR, L (I know that the writing is low, but I hear that lots of people have trouble with VR and that the writing doesn't matter much. Will my VR make up for my writing/show that is was just a fluke score?).
-I am a URM student. Not sure if this matters as much as everyone says though. :confused:
-2 months shadowing a podiatrist (4hrs/week)
-1 year volunteering at local hospital
-1 week volunteer trip in third world country working for a podiatrist. VERY hands on experience.

So, do you guys think I stand a shot at any MD/DO schools? Would I need to shadow a non-foot doctor/volunteer somewhere unrelated to feet? I don't want to come off as a really creepy foot-feeler when applying to medical school, so should I let them know that the foot-related activities were because I was pursuing podiatry? Do you think they'd be biased against someone with a fetish like me? I am just really passionate about helping people. Thank you so much for your time guys!! :)

I am a Podiatry Student and I am insulted with the immaturity and "professionalism" you group of people are showing me right now. This is an obvious troll and I can tell that some of you are naive enough to buy into it. I guess that's one of the problems why drug addicts are able to get their hands on narcotics so easily...naive doctors.

I understand that getting into Podiatry school is not a challenge to many of us but getting out and being a great Podiatrist is a different story. We still must survive a rigorous curriculum and go through 3 years of surgical residency in order to practice. Many of those with low stats (which you guys only seem to care about) are no longer part of our class.

Reading this post made me laugh at all the immature people that I have to work with in the future and how arrogant a "med student" or "pre-med" student could be. It's an embarrassment.

Ps. If your patients have any foot problems that may be too complex, please refer to us. Don't think too highly of yourself. You might mess up.

I am a Podiatry Student and I am insulted with the immaturity and "professionalism" you group of people are showing me right now. This is an obvious troll and I can tell that some of you are naive enough to buy into it. I guess that's one of the problems why drug addicts are able to get their hands on narcotics so easily...naive doctors.

I understand that getting into Podiatry school is not a challenge to many of us but getting out and being a great Podiatrist is a different story. We still must survive a rigorous curriculum and go through 3 years of surgical residency in order to practice. Many of those with low stats (which you guys only seem to care about) are no longer part of our class.

Reading this post made me laugh at all the immature people that I have to work with in the future and how arrogant a "med student" or "pre-med" student could be. It's an embarrassment.

Ps. If your patients have any foot problems that may be too complex, please refer to us. Don't think too highly of yourself. You might mess up.

Sony-UMad.png

No one else was laughing :mad:. I'd like to see you get higher than 7 in Verbal! It's so hard.

I hate to be cruel here but no it's not. Breaking 8 is pretty easy if English is your first language. I'd have concerns as to your potential if a 7 was your highest of 3 mcats and you're a native English speaker.

I liked the part where you questioned our maturity and then displayed how much you lack it in your "Ps".