Podiatry-> MD/DO????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you guys recommend for me??

• MD

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • DO

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Podiatry

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr Scholls

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm brand new here, so please excuse me if my post is too long. Well, I'll start off with a little background. I am in my 4th year at fairly prestigious CC (as prestigious as a CC can get :oops:), and this is mostly due to having to work A LOT during school. I am transferring next Spring to a local university. For as long as I can remember I have really wanted to be a Podiatrist. I really like feet (nearly a fetish :laugh:), and I think it's a good job. I've been having some doubts lately though. I just wanted to know what you guys think about possibly switching to MD (preferably) or DO. Here are some of my stats:

-3.06 GPA (I think it'd be much higher if I didn't go to a school with such grade deflation! :mad:)
-MCAT: 9BS, 8PS, 7VR, L (I know that the writing is low, but I hear that lots of people have trouble with VR and that the writing doesn't matter much. Will my VR make up for my writing/show that is was just a fluke score?).
-I am a URM student. Not sure if this matters as much as everyone says though. :confused:
-2 months shadowing a podiatrist (4hrs/week)
-1 year volunteering at local hospital
-1 week volunteer trip in third world country working for a podiatrist. VERY hands on experience.

So, do you guys think I stand a shot at any MD/DO schools? Would I need to shadow a non-foot doctor/volunteer somewhere unrelated to feet? I don't want to come off as a really creepy foot-feeler when applying to medical school, so should I let them know that the foot-related activities were because I was pursuing podiatry? Do you think they'd be biased against someone with a fetish like me? I am just really passionate about helping people. Thank you so much for your time guys!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I'm brand new here, so please excuse me if my post is too long. Well, I'll start off with a little background. I am in my 4th year at fairly prestigious CC (as prestigious as a CC can get :oops:), and this is mostly due to having to work A LOT during school. I am transferring next Spring to a local university. For as long as I can remember I have really wanted to be a Podiatrist. I really like feet (nearly a fetish :laugh:), and I think it's a good job. I've been having some doubts lately though. I just wanted to know what you guys think about possibly switching to MD (preferably) or DO. Here are some of my stats:

-3.06 GPA (I think it'd be much higher if I didn't go to a school with such grade deflation! :mad:)
-MCAT: 9BS, 8PS, 7VR, L (I know that the writing is low, but I hear that lots of people have trouble with VR and that the writing doesn't matter much. Will my VR make up for my writing/show that is was just a fluke score?).
-I am a URM student. Not sure if this matters as much as everyone says though. :confused:
-2 months shadowing a podiatrist (4hrs/week)
-1 year volunteering at local hospital
-1 week volunteer trip in third world country working for a podiatrist. VERY hands on experience.

So, do you guys think I stand a shot at any MD/DO schools? Would I need to shadow a non-foot doctor/volunteer somewhere unrelated to feet? I don't want to come off as a really creepy foot-feeler when applying to medical school, so should I let them know that the foot-related activities were because I was pursuing podiatry? Do you think they'd be biased against someone with a fetish like me? I am just really passionate about helping people. Thank you so much for your time guys!! :)

Yes. Your 7VR will ABSOLUTELY make up for the L.

By numbers alone, you have a 16.1% chance of getting into medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)

:(. What about my ECs or my URM status? I'd hate to use it as a crutch, but do you think I should highlight my diversity?

Nope....OP is URM.

If he's Hispanic his chances of an MD acceptance are ~34% (https://www.aamc.org/download/157948/data/table25-h-mcatgpa-grid-hisp-0810.pdf.pdf)

If he's Black his chances of an MD acceptance are ~55% (https://www.aamc.org/download/157594/data/table25-b-mcatgpa-grid-black-0810.pdf.pdf)

I say retake the MCAT. Improving a 24 to, say a 27-29 should NOT be that hard if you put in the time and are committed and will improve your chances.

Nope....OP is URM.

If he's Hispanic his chances of an MD acceptance are ~34% (https://www.aamc.org/download/157948/data/table25-h-mcatgpa-grid-hisp-0810.pdf.pdf)

If he's Black his chances of an MD acceptance are ~55% (https://www.aamc.org/download/157594/data/table25-b-mcatgpa-grid-black-0810.pdf.pdf)

I say retake the MCAT. Improving a 24 to, say a 27-29 should NOT be that hard if you put in the time and are committed and will improve your chances.

:eek:. Awesome! I've already taken the MCAT 3 times, so I dunno if I can hit 27 :(.

4th year at a CC?

I only pray this is a troll.

Last edited:
:eek:. Awesome! I've already taken the MCAT 3 times, so I dunno if I can hit 27 :(.

Apply MD/DO, OP....55% admission is not that bad (it's around where I am as an Asian with a 3.6/32). Just make sure you apply early and broadly and keep on top of all your secondaries/LORs/etc.

also :laugh: at the poll results....a bunch of haters on pre-allo right now :thumbdown:

Apply MD/DO, OP....55% admission is not that bad (it's around where I am as an Asian with a 3.6/32). Just make sure you apply early and broadly and keep on top of all your secondaries/LORs/etc.

also :laugh: at the poll results....a bunch of haters on pre-allo right now :thumbdown:

It's more due to the fact that most people on here probably agree he'd probably be better off and likely happier as a podiatrist.

Members don't see this ad :)

:thumbup:
Always.

No one else was laughing :mad:. I'd like to see you get higher than 7 in Verbal! It's so hard.
Not-sure-if-serious+2.jpg

According to the AAMC website about 62.2-72.8% do achieve a score higher than 7. I just thought it was funny because a score at the 30th percentile is NOT going to make up for an L on the writing section.

Welcome to SDN, oracle :rolleyes: Here's to a great 10th post!

I know I shouldn't but I will.......

I didn't know I needed 1000+ post on SDN to recognize when someone is clearly trying to make a troll post about being a URM.

For as long as I can remember I have really wanted to be a Podiatrist. I really like feet (nearly a fetish :laugh:)

There's your answer. With a sub-par MCAT score, this should've been obvious.

4th year at a CC?

I only pray this is a troll.

This may be a troll, but I can't fault a guy for going to CC. He's taking essentially the same classes as anyone at a state uni for 1/10 the price and able to work while he's doing it. The way medicine is going minimizing educational debt is a huge +.

This is why I can't stand SDN most of the time... So many condescending pre-meds.

With your stats currently the way they are, you do face an uphill battle. But if medicine is your dream, don't let anything (especially smart ass remarks from SDN) get in the way of it. If I were you, I'd work extremely hard at improving your MCAT score. Re-think your method of study-- take a class, take a few months off to solely focus on studying, take loads of practice tests, etc. Your GPA and EC's could also use some work. Some sort of post-bacc work could help significantly, especially if you can manage all A's.

Do some soul searching, and find out what exactly you want out of life. If it is a career in medicine, start working harder than you ever have before and dedicate your life to it. :thumbup:

This is why I can't stand SDN most of the time... So many condescending pre-meds.

With your stats currently the way they are, you do face an uphill battle. But if medicine is your dream, don't let anything (especially smart ass remarks from SDN) get in the way of it. If I were you, I'd work extremely hard at improving your MCAT score. Re-think your method of study-- take a class, take a few months off to solely focus on studying, take loads of practice tests, etc. Your GPA and EC's could also use some work. Some sort of post-bacc work could help significantly, especially if you can manage all A's.

Do some soul searching, and find out what exactly you want out of life. If it is a career in medicine, start working harder than you ever have before and dedicate your life to it. :thumbup:

1) SDN isn't like this as a whole. You can find some really decent subsections of the website with some helpful, mature people. Pre-Allo is full of entitled, immature pre-meds (mix of hSDN folks and young college students) so what do you expect?

2) I'm pretty sure OP is a troll, so he/she is getting flamed for good reason. NOTE: "prestigious CC", "7 in VR making up for an L writing score", "4th year at CC", etc.

I agree, there are many useful contributors. If the OP is a troll, well.. I'll feel a bit foolish... I was giving him/her the benefit of the doubt.

This may be a troll, but I can't fault a guy for going to CC. He's taking essentially the same classes as anyone at a state uni for 1/10 the price and able to work while he's doing it. The way medicine is going minimizing educational debt is a huge +.

Yah, I'm not disagreeing with that, however spending 4 years at a CC is insane. My friends and I all finished at our CC with working in under 2 years and with 3.5+ Gpa's. That and the fact that he's taking his mcat when he's got 2 years min ahead of him, it makes me think this guy is really clueless.
Oh and the foot-fetish? If he's not a troll then I'm mortified.

Why do you have to be such a *#$& all the time? A 7 in verbal isn't that bad....you didn't do THAT much better on your verbal anyways.

OP: As a URM, you have a good shot. How are your EC's?

2) I'm pretty sure OP is a troll, so he/she is getting flamed for good reason. NOTE: "prestigious CC", "7 in VR making up for an L writing score", "4th year at CC", etc.

FYI - I know quite a few people who spend 4 years + at a CC.

He's working full time, so I assume he's at the CC part time.

OP--if you are interested in podiatry, go for podiatry. No reason to apply to MD if you want to indulge your foot fetish.

Nope....OP is URM.

ok wow I did not know that URM helped that much, my mistake. That seems unfair...

Hi there OP. Maybe shadow an MD/DO and see how the work compares to podiatry. If it seems like something you'd enjoy doing then you can worry about raising your MCAT and filling out some more ECs. Otherwise, no worries! Just be confident you know what you're getting into and that it's the path that you want to take. Best of luck

4 years at CC?? ARE YOU HANDICAPPED? THIS IS RIDICULOUS. OP work in a foot massage parlor you aren't fit to step foot in a hospital

WTF is wrong with you? I spent 3 years in a CC because I had to have a JOB, you know what that it you idiot?

My dad is a podiatrist - they aren't foot massagers. People will all sorts of real problems go to him for care. I dare say more than your parents.

WTF is wrong with you? I spent 3 years in a CC because I had to have a JOB, you know what that it you idiot?

My dad is a podiatrist - they aren't foot massagers. People will all sorts of real problems go to him for care. I dare say more than your parents.

3 years isnt horrible but a job shouldnt be an excuse. I had a full time job and i never went to a CC and i have a 3.7 now.
You guys need to chill out

3 years isnt horrible but a job shouldnt be an excuse. I had a full time job and i never went to a CC and i have a 3.7 now.
You guys need to chill out

I'm just saying, when you have a job it makes it harder. You are clearly an exception, but anyways.....

THIS isn't even about JOBs, it about the OP.

OP, you are a URM - with a 55% chance at MD. Go For It. Do the checklist of EC's and you got it.

Im not even replying to the other idiots reply...

4 years at CC?? ARE THESE PEOPLE HANDICAPPED? THIS IS RIDICULOUS. OP work in a foot massage parlor you aren't fit to step foot in a hospital

If someone can get to where I am now (2nd year of med school) while spending about 150k less on undergrad then good for them. I went to a top 5 undergrad which was an amazing experience that I wouldn't trade for anything, but I have no illusions that the vast majority of classes (especially pre-med requirements like intro bio, gen chem, orgo) are similar to those taught at the $2k/year tuition community college.