Point and Pull clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OpenReduction

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which OMFS programs have a point and pull clinic i.e. accepts walk-ins and referrals and do the procedure the same day?

Most of the programs that I externed did not have a point and pull clinic and saw patients mostly on a scheduled basis. What are some of the pros and cons of having a point and pull clinic on a resident's standpoint?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Which OMFS programs have a point and pull clinic i.e. accepts walk-ins and referrals and do the procedure the same day?

Most of the programs that I externed did not have a point and pull clinic and saw patients mostly on a scheduled basis. What are some of the pros and cons of having a point and pull clinic on a resident's standpoint?

Thanks!
Point and pull clinic is actually worse than a clinic that has scheduled cases. Many times point and pull clinics have single tooth cases, usually a chief complaint tooth-less efficient. This is often done because there are many patients to see in a point and pull clinic so you have to triage. So you have to do all this paperwork per patient for just single tooth cases.
Scheduled cases often involve multiple teeth to be extracted-more efficient use of your time. Oftentimes patients also tend to be more health literate, medically optimized, and worked up better if the cases are scheduled.

Reactions: 5 users
Point and pull clinic is actually worse than a clinic that has scheduled cases. Many times point and pull clinics have single tooth cases, usually a chief complaint tooth-less efficient. This is often done because there are many patients to see in a point and pull clinic so you have to triage. So you have to do all this paperwork per patient for just single tooth cases.
Scheduled cases often involve multiple teeth to be extracted-more efficient use of your time. Oftentimes patients also tend to be more health literate, medically optimized, and worked up better if the cases are scheduled.
What is the point of the request. I am unsure of the need to determine this info. Are you a potential dental student looking to determine a school based on a point and pull clinic? or is this just for general knowledge? I am confused.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the point of the request. I am unsure of the need to determine this info. Are you a potential dental student looking to determine a school based on a point and pull clinic? or is this just for general knowledge? I am confused.
I was just curious because I have encountered both styles on my externships and wondered why some programs would accept walk-ins and referrals and do the procedure same day, and some wouldn't. I am sure it's multifactorial, but I just wanted to get an insight from a resident's perspective.

Also, before going on externships, I thought all residency programs would have a point and pull clinic. However, majority of the programs that I have been to saw mostly scheduled patients. The reason for asking which programs have a point and pull clinic was because I was curious if point and pull clinics are something that's not as ubiquitous as I thought they would be based on my experience.

At Case, the students upstairs run an emergency clinic, and if they think the case is severe, they’ll present to us. If we think it should come out today, we’ll put it on the student schedule who is rotating on OS and we’ll be around to help if needed.

Generally, the point and pull patients are crabby, disrespectful, and rude. Not all, but generally. These are also single tooth cases which is annoying (see above posts). I am glad we don’t really deal with that, and I’m glad the students basically do the triaging and screening for us.

Reactions: 1 user
I was just curious because I have encountered both styles on my externships and wondered why some programs would accept walk-ins and referrals and do the procedure same day, and some wouldn't. I am sure it's multifactorial, but I just wanted to get an insight from a resident's perspective.

Also, before going on externships, I thought all residency programs would have a point and pull clinic. However, majority of the programs that I have been to saw mostly scheduled patients. The reason for asking which programs have a point and pull clinic was because I was curious if point and pull clinics are something that's not as ubiquitous as I thought they would be based on my experience.
Ah, OK. Its really is institutionally dependent. My training program at a county hospital was a combination of point and pull and scheduled patients. It really helps residents learn how the real world will be. As much as you think you can control your clinic schedule when you graduate things come up and learning to manage those situations is very useful. Point and pull clinics rarely make money unless it is student run where dental students are free labor. Then it makes more sense. At my institution we have predoc run the meet and treat clinic and the residents have a more complex and set schedule. I dont really like the meet and treat method but the students do. It helps them learn to evaluate patients "on the fly". I have seen both and there are positives and negatives to both.

Reactions: 1 users
Ah, OK. Its really is institutionally dependent. My training program at a county hospital was a combination of point and pull and scheduled patients. It really helps residents learn how the real world will be. As much as you think you can control your clinic schedule when you graduate things come up and learning to manage those situations is very useful. Point and pull clinics rarely make money unless it is student run where dental students are free labor. Then it makes more sense. At my institution we have predoc run the meet and treat clinic and the residents have a more complex and set schedule. I dont really like the meet and treat method but the students do. It helps them learn to evaluate patients "on the fly". I have seen both and there are positives and negatives to both.
I see. I really appreciate your input Doc!