Pointers for new OT students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickenadobo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I just got accepted to OT school for the 2013 cohort. Just wondering if there are any current OT students in their programs with suggestions on what I could start studying for? Anatomy and physiology was a struggle for me, and I've always heard that neuro is one of the most difficult classes. Any pointers or suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks and good luck to everyone who is going through this process! This was my second year applying for school. So, don't lose hope. I'm definitely not the best student as far as grades go, but I still got accepted. Keep chugging along!

Members don't see this ad.

The studious side of me says get some/make some flashcards and start studying all the brain structures.

But honestly, I would suggest relaxing until school starts. You're going to have very little free time to see friends and family once everything gets going. There'll be time for studying once it begins...

We only had to take Functional Anatomy in my program, which builds upon what you learned in A&P I & II and Functional Neuroscience. These two classes probably were the hardest classes we've had thus far. I suggest paying very close attention to the structures. We learned mostly about muscles and nerves so if you can read ahead and learn the muscles of the body including the name, location, and what they are responsible for, it will be of great help. Learn where the nerves innervate muscles and what type of dysfunction would result if a nerve was damaged or severed. In Neuro really just pay attention to the pathways of nerves in the spinal cord. Maybe look into getting a study guide for these classes in OT.

Buy a tape recorder, whiteboard, and some markers.....