Policy on professors testing on what they don't teach...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have this prof this semester who straight up told us at the beginning that he only will teach about 50% of the information we need to know on the tests. Now I am not talking about stuff he teaches the basics for, and we need to go learn how to apply it...

I am talking full blown sections of the book that he never touches and wants to know.

It's like, we are running out of class periods before his next scheduled test, and he hasn't finished nearly what he wanted to cover. So instead of cutting down the material, or pushing the test back, he just says "you need to know all that still"

Um...is there some kind of policy against this? What do yall think?

Members don't see this ad.

You're in college. They aren't going to be able to cover everything you need to know. Suck it up, read the textbook, and do some self-learning.

My entire physics course at my college was autotutorial (ie no professors, no lectures). We had to learn everything ourselves with help from grad students if necessary. Considering I never took physics in HS, it wasn't easy but that's what the textbook is for.

What do I think? I think you're about to graduate and still seem to want to be spoon fed. You've got a stellar GPA & nice MCAT. Surely, you must have developed some independent study skills along the way.

Personally, I really dislike classes where the time is wasted by having someone stand up and tell us just what's in the book. I can cover that on my own. I'd much rather have a prof who spent the class time adding depth and breadth, and clarifying anything that students didn't understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, yeah. It sucks you have to cover stuff on your own, but the prof gets to teach the class how he sees fit. I don't think it's anything there's policy against or a punishable offense.

Hey...don't jump on my ass about it

Listen, I am not complaining because I can't do it, or I can't study it on my own (and thanks for the plug about how cool and smart you are, that's nice :clap::clap:).

The only reason I had a problem with it, is that it seems unprofessional, and lazy of them. Your job is to get up there and present the material, not make student's read it on their own without even mentioning it it in class.

...damn

I can see the OP's point. When you're paying your professors' salaries you want them to teach you. Self-learning is a must, I agree. But that voluminous amount of material not being covered does seem a bit unfair. I know in medical school there will be a lot more material and a lot more will be self taught, but with respect to undergrad, the professor should be teaching the majority.

The only reason I had a problem with it, is that it seems unprofessional, and lazy of them. Your job is to get up there and present the material, not make student's read it on their own without even mentioning it it in class.

By your definition, med school will be very "unprofessional".

Maybe your institution is different, but mine requires that every instructor provide a syllabus the first day of class. They are required to inform us if they make changes.

If one follows each syllabus and studies the material listed for each class so that he is prepared for what's on the schedule, he's less likely to be caught off guard in a situation like yours. It's one that stinks if you aren't used to independent learning and find yourself having to cover much in a short period of time.

I hope you're fortunate enough to have a curved grade. In the meantime, you've got at least an entire weekend to study your butt off if this test is important to you.:luck:

My college= no curved grades, assigned reading, detailed quizzes, and "even if i don't go over it, you're responsible"...it builds character and study skills.

better it be "i didn't talk about it, but you're responsible for reading it anyway" than "i talked about it, and if you didnt write down every word i said, there is no place for you to read about it, sorry" like med school is sometimes