Politics in secondaries? (COVID-19)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

James'Magikarp

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm writing the COVID-19 secondary essay, but I'm wondering if it is okay to briefly mention how the Trump administration has downplayed the significance of the virus while contributing to xenophobia (e.g. using terms like "China virus" & "Kung flu").

Would the adcoms be offended?
 
I wouldnt. You never know who’s reading it and what their opinions are.

But even beyond that risk, regardless of my political opinion I’d be offput by that. Stating a political opinion requires an argument to back it up. You can’t just drop a one line political opinion as a fact and move on (why is your opinion more correct than someone else’s that it’s automatically a fact?). So unless you’re turning the entire essay into a political article about what you believe in (also a bad idea), then it would not reflect well on you
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldnt. You never know who’s reading it and what their opinions are.

But even beyond that risk, regardless of my political opinion I’d be offput by that. Stating a political opinion requires an argument to back it up. You can’t just drop a one line political opinion as a fact and move on (why is your opinion more correct than someone else’s that it’s automatically a fact?). So unless you’re turning the entire essay into a political article about what you believe in (also a bad idea), then it would not reflect well on you

I'm not really understanding this. I agree that mentioning the Trump administration isn't a good idea in general -- but it is a fact, no, that those terms were used and propagated? I might not put that in a secondary, but it seems pretty cut and dry to me that yeah, that did happen
 
I see, thank you for your input. I've been very fortunate to not have anyone around me be affected by the virus itself, but my family's business went through anti-Asian hate crimes... I am aware it's a risky topic, so perhaps I'll think of something else to write about.
 
I see, thank you for your input. I've been very fortunate to not have anyone around me be affected by the virus itself, but my family's business went through anti-Asian hate crimes... I am aware it's a risky topic, so perhaps I'll think of something else to write about.

I am very sorry to hear about that! I hope your family business is on the mend, and that you all are doing okay!
 
I see, thank you for your input. I've been very fortunate to not have anyone around me be affected by the virus itself, but my family's business went through anti-Asian hate crimes... I am aware it's a risky topic, so perhaps I'll think of something else to write about.
I’m not a fan but trump didn’t break your business property, some racist jerk did. You can write about racism without adding politics
 
I see, thank you for your input. I've been very fortunate to not have anyone around me be affected by the virus itself, but my family's business went through anti-Asian hate crimes... I am aware it's a risky topic, so perhaps I'll think of something else to write about.
Your family's business suffering anti-Asian hate crimes certainly answers the prompt about "how you were affected by COVID".
 
I’m not a fan but trump didn’t break your business property, some racist jerk did. You can write about racism without adding politics

For the record, the buck stops with Trump and the OP nailed it in the first post.

That said OP, your goal is getting into med school. I'd do it exactly as the poster above described. " talk about how xenophobia is one of the awful byproducts that we saw emerge with the pandemic"

That's a safer way to play it.
 
I'm writing the COVID-19 secondary essay, but I'm wondering if it is okay to briefly mention how the Trump administration has downplayed the significance of the virus while contributing to xenophobia (e.g. using terms like "China virus" & "Kung flu").

Would the adcoms be offended?

only if you mention how democrats said closing border early on with China was racist
 
For the record, the buck stops with Trump and the OP nailed it in the first post.

That said OP, your goal is getting into med school. I'd do it exactly as the poster above described. " talk about how xenophobia is one of the awful byproducts that we saw emerge with the pandemic"

That's a safer way to play it.
Except they didn’t “nail it”. Navigate this one carefully OP
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Aw man. I came here hoping to see a fist fight
If @sb247 and I were going to have a fight, I hope it would be over something more important than this!

Anyway OP, it's good to have convictions, but it's also important to pick your battles. These days it's probably best to avoid mentioning any politicians by name. You can't fight the good fight if you never get your foot in the door.
 
I'm writing the COVID-19 secondary essay, but I'm wondering if it is okay to briefly mention how the Trump administration has downplayed the significance of the virus while contributing to xenophobia (e.g. using terms like "China virus" & "Kung flu").

Would the adcoms be offended?

Stay far, far away from names and events. If your family has experienced anti-asian discrimination, that is 100% fair game and a really good experience to talk about. But for goodness sake leave any buzzwords or anything vaguely political away from it.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
 
oRaNGe Man'S RAcisM CaUsED CorOnVIRUS.


920x920.jpg


EU2zKZyX0AI_6jf.png
ET0IN2yUUAQ7ukc.jpg
ES5U6pNUYAA0jVc.jpg
ETbI51CU8AAKESo.png
 
Last edited: