[Poll] Applicants For Entrance In 2015, How Many Schools Are You Applying To?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many schools are you applying to this cycle (Entrance 2015)

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • 2-5

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 6-10

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • 11-15

Votes: 21 14.0%
  • 16-20

Votes: 31 20.7%
  • 21-25

Votes: 24 16.0%
  • 26-30

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • 31-35

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • 36-40

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • 41+

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters

hydroxyurea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen posters say they are applying to <10 schools, and some applying to >30 schools, so I'm just curious how many schools each of you is applying to this cycle.

For reference, a thread from 2006 showed

0-5 14.6% (19)
6-10 8.5% (11)
11-15 20.8% (27)
16-20 25.4% (33)

21-25 10.0% (13)
26-30 6.9% (9)
31-35 8.5% (11)
36-40 4.6% (6)
41+ 0.8% (1)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-many-schools-are-you-applying-to-new-poll.280958/

From 2003
<10 13.6% (9)
10-19 40.9% (27)
20-29 25.8% (17)
30-39 9.1% (6)
40+ 10.6% (7)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-schools-are-you-guys-applying-to-poll.68969/

From 2002

1 0.0% (0)
2-4 1.4% (1)
5-9 8.2% (6)
10-13 17.8% (13)
14-16 11.0% (8)
17-20 19.2% (14)
21-25 20.5% (15)

26-30 9.6% (7)
31-40 9.6% (7)
40+ 2.7% (2)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-many-schools-are-you-applying-to-poll.40135/

I'm especially curious if the average # of apps has gone up, or if the proportion of >30 has gone up.

Members don't see this ad.

3.58 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA. 26 and 34 MCATs. CA resident. ORM. Non-traditional. Applied late July. Applying to 39 allopathic schools and 5 osteopathic schools (including Ohio Heritage, Campbell, CCOM, PCOM, and Western). I'm so average, I'm not taking any chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not applying, but if I was I would apply to less than 10 :p

I'm curious about the story behind people who say they are applying to "1" school. Is it because you are tied to the area for family obligations or spouse career, or is it because you are part of an undergraduate feeder program?

This thread makes me worry about only applying to 12

:(

SDN is bad for neuroses.

Reactions: 1 users
Sent my AMCAS to over 40 schools. Due to a combination of secondary burnout and accidentally applying to state schools which do not accept many OOS students, that number will likely stay around the mid-30s. I believe I got a good mix of reaches, targets, and safeties given my stats though. So close to being done!

Wow @ the people applying to 30+ schools. I pretty much got tired of secondaries at like 15.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
25, all MD schools. Originally 20, but applied to 5 more this month when I got my MCAT score back and it wasn't nearly as good as my AAMCs were. I still find myself wondering if I should tack on another 5 more...

That's a lot of schools. Last year, I became burned out after about 12 secondaries and didn't finish like 3.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I really don't know how you guys had the money and energy to apply to so many. I'm working full-time and can't afford it, plus don't have the spare time to write so many essays.... oh well, fingers crossed :(

"I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 22..." LOL

20, working full time, it seems daunting, I can't imagine 30-40!:confused:

I didn't realize how exhausting secondaries were. Especially the ones that ask school specific questions. I applied to 35...

I come from WUSTL and all our prehealth advisors told us to apply to 12-15 schools after doing extensive research on them to make sure all 12-15 were a good fit. Of course, most WUSTL applicants consider themselves high-caliber candidates by the time they apply, but this is what they told us. I originally had 15, but then I lost some confidence and added 7 more. I also consider myself quite average compared to a lot of WUSTL applicants. I didn't apply to many top schools like most of my peers did. Maybe that will be helpful in the long run?

Complete at 29/33. But only have to write essays for two more schools. Almost done!

Wow 10 seemed like a big chunk of my paycheck lol not to mention all the secondaries

I'm planning on applying to DO schools in September though so that'll probably be another 10-20 schools depending, but at least I have time to save up for that (and I love how DO is slightly more expensive than MD for both primary and secondary apps :arghh:)

Since someone asked, I was one of the applicants that only applied at one school. Reasons behind this decision:

-Undergrad alma mater
-Proximity to family and rural service emphasis
-Home to only pharmacy school in state (spouse is on pre-pharm track with much better GPA than I)
-Currently own a small home in city of chosen school

My decision came down to the fact that I am totally fine with moving whatever distance necessary to attend the medical school that grants me an acceptance but, I would rather delay acceptance a year and work on my application before choosing to apply broadly that way I won't have any reservations about having to relocate. I've had my heart set on the particular school I applied to from the day I graduated high school and if I have to put that goal behind me, I want to be confident that I first did everything I could to get there before looking elsewhere. My decision may be rooted in emotion somewhat but it is also supported by many logical factors so I feel that I'm making a decision that is in my best interest.

Also, I have no clue how people afford 20+ apps and the associated secondary fees. The cost associated with the MCAT, study material, engagement ring, wedding costs and applying to just one school has left me with sticker shock every time I check my credit card statement.

I'm doing my best to minimize debt so I don't see how applying to so many schools can be an effective usage of funds. At some point in writing secondary essays your endurance has to start lingering and response quality will inevitably go down hill. Once I consider IS bias, I can only list about 8 schools I think I have a chance at and even that is a stretch. If I thought I had a chance at more schools, it would mean I was a stronger applicant and thus wouldn't have the necessity of applying broadly. Either way, I can't imagine any situation where applying to over 10 schools yields better results than focusing 100% effort on a select few.

Also, I have no clue how people afford 20+ apps and the associated secondary fees. The cost associated with the MCAT, study material, engagement ring, wedding costs and applying to just one school has left me with sticker shock every time I check my credit card statement.

I'm doing my best to minimize debt so I don't see how applying to so many schools can be an effective usage of funds. At some point in writing secondary essays your endurance has to start lingering and response quality will inevitably go down hill. Once I consider IS bias, I can only list about 8 schools I think I have a chance at and even that is a stretch. If I thought I had a chance at more schools, it would mean I was a stronger applicant and thus wouldn't have the necessity of applying broadly. Either way, I can't imagine any situation where applying to over 10 schools yields better results than focusing 100% effort on a select few.
You apply broadly because the medical school application game is a crapshoot, basically. Every school has a lower than 5% acceptance rate (probably wrong, but I'm making a best estimate here). The more schools you apply to, the better your chances of being accepted somewhere. Also, it is wise to research fit for schools and only apply to those in which you think you'd have a good fit for. As for secondary essay quality, I prefer quick turnaround to making the essays perfect. Applying early helps a lot with increasing your chances of getting accepted, especially if you're not a stellar applicant. (I'm not. 3.7/36 with no research but lots of community service isn't stellar.) So I applied to 22 schools that I believe would be a good fit for me based largely on how much they emphasize service over research. If my strategy doesn't work, then I have a backup plan this year for improving my application for next cycle. Hopefully, I'll get accepted somewhere and the things I do this year as part of my backup plan will just end up as good life experiences.

You guys applying to 30 schools spend more on applications (interviews included) than a year worth of tuition at my school..

That's not to criticize anyone

You apply broadly because the medical school application game is a crapshoot, basically. Every school has a lower than 5% acceptance rate (probably wrong, but I'm making a best estimate here). The more schools you apply to, the better your chances of being accepted somewhere. Also, it is wise to research fit for schools and only apply to those in which you think you'd have a good fit for. As for secondary essay quality, I prefer quick turnaround to making the essays perfect. Applying early helps a lot with increasing your chances of getting accepted, especially if you're not a stellar applicant. (I'm not. 3.7/36 with no research but lots of community service isn't stellar.) So I applied to 22 schools that I believe would be a good fit for me based largely on how much they emphasize service over research. If my strategy doesn't work, then I have a backup plan this year for improving my application for next cycle. Hopefully, I'll get accepted somewhere and the things I do this year as part of my backup plan will just end up as good life experiences.

Do you think the fact that it has become popular opinion that applicants should apply to 30+ schools has any affect on the low acceptance rate you mentioned? Applications sent to schools with missions that don't align with a student's profile, half hearted secondaries due to writers fatigue, applying OOS to schools with glaring IS bias, etc. I have a feeling all those confounding factors significantly deflate acceptance rates. Just a thought.

As for 3.7/36 w/community service not being a stellar applicant. :rolleyes: That's near the 90th percentile of most state schools, easily 75th percentile.

Last edited:
You guys applying to 30 schools spend more on applications (interviews included) than a year worth of tuition at my school..

That's not to criticize anyone
Yes and it absolutely sucks. But I'm willing to bite the bullet to have a better shot of not having to reapply.

Reactions: 3 users