Poll: Many Volunteering Options, Which Would YOU Choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which of the following volunteering options would you choose as a med-school hopeful?

• Habitat for Humanity

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Children's Science Museum

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Hospital Gift Shop

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Retirement Home

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Community Blood Center

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Animal Shelter

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Editing / Proofreading for non-profit organization

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tgd11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests, this is a poll to help me (and possibly future forum searchers) with some ideas for volunteering. The simple answer seems to always be "do whatever makes you happy" when it comes to volunteering.

One experience may not be better or worse from an application standpoint, but I wanted to know, assuming you would enjoy each option equally, which do you think stands out the most from an admissions perspective?

The options listed are examples that I have found in my community, and it's a tough choice for me. I, myself, am leaning towards habitat for humanity or the children's science museum. I will be working as a scribe starting in a few weeks, so I am not necessarily seeking volunteering opportunities that will give me clinical exposure.

Members don't see this ad.

I would volunteer at the animal shelter and pet all the fuzzy things all day long.

The main problem is I'd fall in love with all of them and take most of them home.

Habitat is fun but it comes with the caveat of really inflexible scheduling. I was thinking "well, whenever I have time off during breaks I'll do habitat" but I've found that there aren't always builds scheduled when I'm available, so if you choose habitat either have a really flexible schedule or have a backup volunteering opportunity just in case.