Poll: Most Difficult Pre-Vet Prerequisite Class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nhsvs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of the "traditional" preveterinary courses, which would you say is the most difficult? Why? The contenders are:

Inorganic Chemistry:

Organic Chemistry:

Biochemistry: 1 (my vote): because o-chem is a prerequisite! :eek:

Microbiology:

Physics:

Genetics:

Biology:

Although these last three are not prerequisites for all vet schools, I'll throw them in since many of us take them:

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

Members don't see this ad.

Of the "traditional" preveterinary courses, which would you say is the most difficult? Why? The contenders are:

Inorganic Chemistry:

Organic Chemistry:

Microbiology:

Physics: 1

Genetics:

Biology:

Although these last three are not prerequisites for all vet schools, I'll throw them in since many of us take them:

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

I might've liked physics if the prof had been halfway decent; only took 1 semester b/c I hated it so much which sure limits my choice of vet school.

Inorganic Chemistry:

Organic Chemistry:

Microbiology:

Physics: 2

Genetics:

Biology:

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

My vote goes to physics as well. It's been my personal nightmare.

Members don't see this ad :)

Inorganic Chemistry:

Organic Chemistry: 1

Microbiology:

Genetics:

Biology:

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

Organic Chemistry. I don't know all the reasons why I didn't "get" it but I hated the classes/labs...Yuck, I can't even look at that old book without feeling sick.

Inorganic Chemistry:

Organic Chemistry: 2

Microbiology:

Genetics:

Biology:

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

I never understood organic chemistry and I probably never will. :rolleyes:

Inorganic Chemistry:

Biochemistry: 2

Microbiology:

Genetics:

Biology:

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

Inorganic Chemistry:

Biochemistry: 2

Microbiology:

Physics: 3

Genetics:

Biology:

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

It's really a toss up between Physiology (we had Anatomy separate) and Biochem. But I actually liked Physiology. Hated Biochem, so Biochem it is.

-----------------

Inorganic Chemistry:

Biochemistry: 3

Microbiology:

Physics: 3

Genetics:

Biology:

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

Inorganic Chemistry:

Microbiology:

Physics: 4

Genetics:

Biology:

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

Inorganic Chemistry:

Organic Chemistry: 3

Microbiology:

Genetics:

Biology:

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

Organic, because it hated me. A lot.

Organic....because it just seemed like a lot of memorization. I understood the concepts...but it took so much sheer memorization for me. I was also working full time, and had a minor case of mono (just enough to exhaust me, not enough to justify the cost of withdrawing from classes...and I couldn't not work, either.)

Oh, LOVED physics. Took calc based. Had a great prof, except he couldn't do basic math to save his life. 5 friends took the class with me...and we had this signal every time he messed up a calculation, we would act like we were taking shots. Typically there would be between 8-23 errors per class.

If calc based statistics was on there, that would get my ultimate vote. Learned a ton, but it was probably the hardest class I ever had. Great prof, just hard material/concepts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ooops! Don't know how I missed that, thanks for fixing it! We must have been posting a reply at the same time.

Inorganic Chemistry:

Biochemistry: 4

Microbiology:

Genetics:

Biology:

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

I loved physics (but I took it in high school). Organic and Calc both sucked, but omg biochem was the worst!! It seemed interesting and I understood it, but just couldn't do it. Maybe because my teacher was a physical chemist! eek!

Inorganic Chemistry:

Microbiology:

Genetics:

Biology: 1

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:
-----------------
I know, I'm weird! Physics and chemistry seem to come naturally to me, but it takes so much effort for me to learn even the most basic general biology. And yet I'm a bio major. Hmm. :rolleyes:

Inorganic Chemistry:

Organic Chemistry: 4

Microbiology:

Genetics:

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

I cannot even express the depths to which I loathe O-Chem.

Inorganic Chemistry:

Microbiology:

Genetics: 1 *

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

I cannot even express the depths to which I loathe O-Chem.

* OK, this class was actually pretty easy, but the Professor was a total b*tch and the class really sucked because of it... making it the worst class I've ever taken!

Inorganic Chemistry:

Microbiology:

Genetics: 2

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

I have never done so poorly in a science class as I did in genetics. I couldn't understand a word my teacher said (just off the boat from India, poor English - nice guy, though).
It was a humiliating, crushing experience.

Calc was no fun, either. :thumbdown:

Organic Chem has my vote.

The concepts themselves are easy to understand. It's the sheer amount of memorization required combined with the necessity to "see" the molecules in your mind.

Calculus was difficult for me, but that was because of a poor background in math. My high school didn't officially even do a pre-calculus when I attended (they now have calc. classes). My Alg. 3/Trig teacher rushed us through some of the material he was required to teach us and threw in about 3 weeks of pre-calc to introduce us to the concepts. I took Calc. 1 twice b/c I didn't do well enough the first time. My study habits were suffering at the time as well, and that had a big effect.

My anatomy/physiology course was difficult only because of the professor.

When ya'll say the 'sheer amount of memorization' in relation to ochem, are ya'll talking about the Synthesis problems? Like adding MgSO4 to a double bond breaks the bond and creates two double bonded oxygens? (note: I've no idea if I'm recalling that correctly but it's the only one I could think of lol).

I thought Biochem had WAY more memorization than Ochem with all the different pathways plus the synthesis and degredation of all 20 amino acids and various other compounds. Was just wondering if I had an easier ochem class.

Inorganic Chemistry:

Microbiology: 1

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

I don't know why I had such difficulty. I think I would have done better had I of not had a completely boring teacher that just read off his freaking slides. I liked the lab though, and I usually hate lab.

Orgo was definitely one of my fave classes. So many people hate it though! :(

Inorganic Chemistry:

Microbiology:

Genetics: 1

Biology: 2

Nutrition:

Anatomy/Physiology:

Calculus:

Although the subject material wasn't difficult per say, I found intro bio the hardest to care about/get into. I have much more luck with classes that don't skim the surface, and find it a lot easier to learn facts when you get the 'why' along with them.

I thought Biochem had WAY more memorization than Ochem with all the different pathways plus the synthesis and degredation of all 20 amino acids and various other compounds. Was just wondering if I had an easier ochem class.

I found biochem to be supremely annoying. Wound up with a B in it, because of the following:

Tests: A. (all I did was look over previous tests and the online questions - 80% of exams were verbatim off of previous material).

Final: C-. (Actually learned a ton and studied for learning material, not regurgitating questions. Turns out, 90% of the questions were pulled verbatim off of previous material. Not sure why I didn't at least go over previous tests/etc...)

I can't officially vote, because I'm taking Biochem this semester, and you guys are scaring me. So far though, second semester OChem was by far my hardest. It didn't help that I was taking 17 units, working full-time, preparing for the GRE, and planning a wedding! I look back on that semester and am amazed I'm alive.

I still think English Writing had to be the worst.

I'd take organic, physics or biochem again in a heartbeat before I would over retake english.

And I still dont feel like Orgo is as much memorization as people make it out to be. You (ideally) learned the types of reactions, and why they would occur for a given combination of molecules under certain conditions, and then you could easily write out the reaction. Then you would just have to look for the same situations to determine what would happen.

I still think English Writing had to be the worst.

I'd take organic, physics or biochem again in a heartbeat before I would over retake english.

And I still dont feel like Orgo is as much memorization as people make it out to be. You (ideally) learned the types of reactions, and why they would occur for a given combination of molecules under certain conditions, and then you could easily write out the reaction. Then you would just have to look for the same situations to determine what would happen.

Agreed. I would vote Algorithms, if it was a prereq. Second to that is english no question. Stupid words.

^^^^ haha algorithms. Actually the second course in sequence for the "intro programming" series at my undergrad was Algorithms and Data Structures and yeah, that was a pretty big CS weed-out course for the people who were only CS majors because they liked playing video games or something. :laugh:

Inorganic Chemistry:

Microbiology:

Nutrition:

Anatomy: 1

Physiology:

Calculus:

I agree with david594 re: ochem, for what it's worth. The REAL memorization class was Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy for me. The lecture exams were more reasoning but the lab practicals tanked me. Oh I separated out A&P as well, because I think most of us who weren't like, nursing or some other allied health major took them separately...

^^^^ haha algorithms. Actually the second course in sequence for the "intro programming" series at my undergrad was Algorithms and Data Structures and yeah, that was a pretty big CS weed-out course for the people who were only CS majors because they liked playing video games or something. :laugh:

I think I was one of those people. I wish I had let it weed me out. I hate CS.

Inorganic Chemistry:

Microbiology:

Nutrition:

Physiology:

Calculus: 1

I'll throw in my vote for calculus. That was by far my worst series of classes EVER. I think I earned the grades I got because of pity from the professors. I just couldn't get it no matter how many dozens (hundreds? thousands???) of practice problems I did.

Inorganic Chemistry:

Microbiology:

Physics: 5

Nutrition:

Physiology:

Calculus: 1

My vote is for physics which was by far the most challenging course I have ever taken. I definitely shed tears of frustration during, before and after class. However, I did enjoy it as I did all of my other classes. I understand Ochem is to be loathed by I absolutely LOVED ochem, and biochem for that matter :D

Inorganic Chemistry:

Microbiology:

Nutrition:

Physiology:

Calculus: 2

(Calculus 2 more specifically. BLECH! My crazy undergrad school advised all preprofessional students to take it)

Inorganic Chemistry:

Organic Chemistry: 5

Microbiology:

Nutrition:

Physiology:

Calculus: 2

Even though I felt that technically Biochemistry was harder, I have to throw my vote in for Organic Chemistry. Why? Because I liked Biochemistry. Organic Chemistry just felt like torture.

I would have to say Biochem. Not so much that the material is too bad, but our questions on tests and quizzes were not from notes or the book, but more as theoretical questions such as "what if there was a mutation that caused ... what would be the outcome? or other questions like that.

I don't know....my organic class was definitly more memorization then biochem. Then again, I took organic at a private liberal arts college with a stringent chem program and with condenced semesters...so the typical 'year' of organic was put into 18 weeks.

Everything we did in biochem I had covered in either microbio, molecular bio, organic, general chem, or another bio course. I took biochem from a state university, and found it far easier than any of my previous science courses.

For me, the memorization was the 258 named reactions. I was fine with the concepts and such, but attaching names to concepts for so many things...that type of cook book approach, drives me nuts.

Inorganic Chemistry:

Biochemistry: 6

Microbiology:

Nutrition:

Physiology:1

Calculus: 3

I did fine in my other courses but Physiology was awful. It was so much material and my professor wasn't interesting at 8am. To boot we did these computer based labs that were TERRIBLE!

My micro vote was apparently lost, so I'm readding it ;-)

Inorganic Chemistry:

Nutrition:

Inorganic Chemistry:

Organic Chemistry: 6

Although these last four are not prerequisites for all vet schools, I'll throw them in since many of us take them:

Nutrition:

Mostly just posting because the three/four discrepancy was driving me (and my OCD) crazy. I figured while I'm posting I should at least put in my vote for organic chemistry. I loved inorganic and thought it was going to be smooth sailing through chemistry. Ha. I have never worked so hard for a C in my life, before or since.

Inorganic Chemistry:

Organic Chemistry: 7

Although these last four are not prerequisites for all vet schools, I'll throw them in since many of us take them:

Nutrition:

Like others have said above... understanding the material was easy. Forcing myself to memorize a TON of stuff that you can easily look up in real life was a lot like holding power drills to my temples... OChem and stats gave me migranes from sheer boredom and repetition. But HOLLA to all my fellow Physics lovers =). Best classes ever :love:

I know World Lit isn't an actual prerequisite, but I had to have it for my degree. I would take both semesters of Ochem over before I took one more world lit.

Inorganic Chemistry:

Organic Chemistry: 7

Nutrition:

Well overall, the course I have gotten the worst mark in was first year English (apparently I can't write a good term paper or in class essay). I loved OChem, and while it was hard, I found it really interesting and I had the best OChem prof in the world!!! :love: Well I guess I can't say that for sure, but she was definitely amazing. So I voted for Genetics as the hardest because it was definitely a brutal course. My roommate and I put in about 100 hours of studying each for the final, and niether of us did very well on it because the questions were so hard. The prof actually had to give everyone 30 bonus marks on the final since everyone did so horrible. And there were several people who got 0% on the midterm :eek: Horrifying. (and they actually did write it, they just got all the questions wrong...don't blame them, it was hard!)

Inorganic Chemistry:

Organic Chemistry: 8

Nutrition:

My vote's for organic chem, might have something to do with the fact that the prof yelled at the whole class for the entire term and told us we "had too much self esteem"....

Inorganic Chemistry:

Nutrition:

Calculus: 4

Hate hate HATE calculus!!! I made an A out of sheer will, not understanding. I memorized the types of questions that were asked and the steps that went with each question. I had absolutely NO clue what I was doing. Why do I need to figure out the volume of an hourglass? WHY? :laugh:

Although the subject material wasn't difficult per say, I found intro bio the hardest to care about/get into. I have much more luck with classes that don't skim the surface, and find it a lot easier to learn facts when you get the 'why' along with them.
Word.

But HOLLA to all my fellow Physics lovers =). Best classes ever :love:

*Hollas*(?) But, yeah, physics has been my favorite class so far in college. :thumbup:

We had DSA after you did CS1 and CS2. It was a fun course, who wouldnt want to know how to implement your own linked list, double-linked list or binary search tree.

Inorganic Chemistry:

Physics: 6

Nutrition:

Calculus: 4

Second semester physics was not fun. I see no reason to learn magnetism and circuits they just don't make sense. I also never really saw the point of calculus I learned the 'rules' and applied them.