Poll: Pathology income to decrease this year (coronavirus)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you expect your pathology income to decrease this year (pandemic coronavirus)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

deleted915203

Many pathologists earn income based on specimen volume, rather than a fixed salary.

Do you expect your pathology income to decrease this year (pandemic coronavirus)?

Members don't see this ad.

I think today most paths are employed so no impact this year for them. Might effect decision making on hiring / salaries/ raises for next year.

for the minority of truly self employed or strict Rvu based salary no doubt They’ll be lower this year. AP volume will drop for sure, much of the bread and butter AP work is from outpatients that can wait. I suppose there may be a rebound once this passes, but some of our volume will be lost. Some with a scheduled pap (or whatever) will just cancel and follow-up next yr.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OP specimens and standard screening biopsies specimens will MASSIVELY downdraft.

Expect a huge drop in surgical accession numbers from year to year.

I dont care though because Ive literally made over 50K a day for like 2+ weeks trading volatility. Best day so far has been 144K in 2 hours HAHAHA. And I sold ALL my long equities back before all this began...in ALL CASH

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP specimens and standard screening biopsies specimens will MASSIVELY downdraft.

I dont care though because Ive literally made over 50K a day for like 2+ weeks trading volatility. Best day so far has been 144K in 2 hours HAHAHA. And I sold ALL my long equities back before all this began...in ALL CASH

You surprise me. If it is all factual , you do not seem to be the type of mature and level headed investor I thought you, perhaps, were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow all cash, bold!!

now what do you do with it and when?

I pulled back to about 20% cash + gold etf about 2 weeks ago....but still getting crushed like most.

i think the numbers diagnosed in the US will double and double again within 2 weeks. Now that there is so much more testing capacity. Not necessarily indicating things are getting worse, just more diagnoses made. This will scare investors, stocks prolly will be down more short term.

All elective surgeries just pushed back indefinitely here in IN and IL

Wow all cash, bold!!

now what do you do with it and when?

I pulled back to about 20% cash + gold etf about 2 weeks ago....but still getting crushed like most.

i think the numbers diagnosed in the US will double and double again within 2 weeks. Now that there is so much more testing capacity. Not necessarily indicating things are getting worse, just more diagnoses made. This will scare investors, stocks prolly will be down more short term.

I attempted to get physical and even after hours on the phone, I could not even come close to buying hundred K of solid gold, let alone a million+.

Im far far more worried about this dark net crap about the impending electric boogaloo. Level III body armor aint gonna cut it boys!!!

I got a text asking if I can acquire a Mk19 for a wealthy individual....its getting real now.

The consultants / attendings in my current lab are salaried (for better or worse)...

But in terms of specimen volume, for the past week we've actually been getting increased hospital specimens, but reduced outpatient specimens.

I heard it's coz the state government is putting pressure on the public hospitals to "clear out" the theatre / surgical list as much as possible before COVID-19 starts making lots of people ill, with subsequent hospital beds being occupied by said COVID-19 positive patients.

I think today most paths are employed so no impact this year for them. Might effect decision making on hiring / salaries/ raises for next year.

for the minority of truly self employed or strict Rvu based salary no doubt They’ll be lower this year. AP volume will drop for sure, much of the bread and butter AP work is from outpatients that can wait. I suppose there may be a rebound once this passes, but some of our volume will be lost. Some with a scheduled pap (or whatever) will just cancel and follow-up next yr.
My hospital and all those around me have cancelled elective surgery-the source of most of my income.

A couple of my hospitals haven't cancelled their electives/OP yet. I have noticed a steady decrease in volume over the last couple of weeks. I certainly expect to see a drop in volume in the short term with an effort to make up the lost volume later this year. Overall, this should be a down year for sure. This will no doubt have an enormous impact on new hires.

On the bright side, I was able to purchase 2,000 rounds of 556x45 ammo for my M556A. I'm already loaded to the gills with my 45ACP and 9mm ammo. Bring on the apocalypse. ;)

A couple of my hospitals haven't cancelled their electives/OP yet. I have noticed a steady decrease in volume over the last couple of weeks. I certainly expect to see a drop in volume in the short term with an effort to make up the lost volume later this year. Overall, this should be a down year for sure. This will no doubt have an enormous impact on new hires.

On the bright side, I was able to purchase 2,000 rounds of 556x45 ammo for my M556A. I'm already loaded to the gills with my 45ACP and 9mm ammo. Bring on the apocalypse. ;)
Never knew so many here were deplorables.

I’m partial to the colt .45. Fun round.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are people considering elective procedures? It seems like it depends on the surgeon what is elective...

CRC screenings. Upper GI for gastritis, etc. I think the argument can always be made that certain elective procedures are necessary in the immediate timeline. I know right now that things are beginning to get shut down and procedures will be handled on a case by case basis. The thing that I am most concerned about right now is blood products. The demand for products is high and the supply is low because the usual folks who come in to donate aren't doing so... this alone will create enough chaos to ration procedures being performed.

At least some pathologists are partially protected if they have CP as a piece of their day to day.

AP only types by now are sitting around for 2/3 of their day. No one getting hired the rest of the year.

CompHealth called me to ask if I needed locums. I replied with, "I need to reduce my workforce today."

Reactions: 3 users
In on ticker symbol TVIX Monday March 2nd...out yesterday. VelocityShares Daily 2x VIX Short Term ETN
Overall 401K up now 86% YTD.
Practice income for March 2020 up 200% YOY.

To say Im winning the war on Wuhan virus is an understatement.

Im in full Chuck Norris mode.

• Haha
2 hour work days. Full salary. Beauty of being a community employed pathologist.

Hopefully that lasts. I'm also employed and there's strong signals here that there will be partial furloughs for all non-frontline staff, including physicians.

In on ticker symbol TVIX Monday March 2nd...out yesterday. VelocityShares Daily 2x VIX Short Term ETN
Overall 401K up now 86% YTD.
Practice income for March 2020 up 200% YOY.

To say Im winning the war on Wuhan virus is an understatement.

Im in full Chuck Norris mode.

Leveraged, multiple inverse, derivative-type funds. Now the b***s*** it truly flowing out of your ears

The specimen cut-up / reporting load in my current lab has now started to reduce.

Yesterday, me and my co-registrar (co-resident) "only" did ~170 blocks total, which was 28 cases.
With the lab assistant who does biopsy transfers, the daily total is at most 40 cases.
Our combined grossing total is usually ~80-90 cases / day.

We're still getting emergency cases (appendices, gallbladders, ischaemic bowel) and cancer cases for now.

I've been told that our consultants (attendings) are salaried, but are apparently going to take turns "standing down" to avoid getting fired...
They'll be using up their accrued leave / vacation time, but once that is used up, they'll move onto unpaid leave.

So once they're going on unpaid leave, that'll be an income drop...

Proof or ban.

Hmm interesting low post count suspicious SDN member calling me out...

I have screen shots of one account handy I will share, the rest of my cash is in a TD Ameritrade account which doesnt produce as a clean of a picture because I so frenetically moved money in and out:
IMG_0238.png

~Was alerted Jan 18th by an associate in Hunan province that China was in a general lockdown mode and things were getting extreme
~Feb 18th patients from Diamond Princess Cruise arrive in California and are brought to a random set of community hospitals triggering my suspicion on what the true numbers and scope were eventually to be.
~Feb 22nd I get into a argument with my wealth manager about the market implications of this outbreak
~March 3rd I fire my wealth manager and go into cash completely across all accounts, moving 90000 in practice income to trade as well
~March 4th make my first TVIX trade on volatility
~March 16th begin making larger bets on the CBOE Volatility
~March 24-26th take first significant losses with massive Bear trap rally
current time: sitting in a $989,000 short position on the S&P split between this account at Schwab and another at TD Ameritrade. DATE: 3/28/2020

WHEN we retest the lows of 3/23/2020 in the S&P, I will be in the money roughly $500K. WHEN we break through the lows of ~2200 and test 2100 support levels, I will be up 750K-1m, WHEN we crash through 2100 to test 2000? 1-1.5m. WHEN we then gap down to test the Fibonacci level at 1700, I no longer post on SDN. Hasta la vista.

Or this all blows up in my face and I post here for another 10 years...

satisfied bud?

Last edited:

I have screen shots of one account handy I will share, the rest of my cash is in a TD Ameritrade account which doesnt produce as a clean of a picture because I so frenetically moved money in and out:
View attachment 300047

~Was alerted Jan 18th by an associate in Hunan province that China was in a general lockdown mode and things were getting extreme
~Feb 18th patients from Diamond Princess Cruise arrive in California and are brought to a random set of community hospitals triggering my suspicion on what the true numbers and scope were eventually to be.
~Feb 22nd I get into a argument with my wealth manager about the market implications of this outbreak
~March 3rd I fire my wealth manager and go into cash completely across all accounts, moving 90000 in practice income to trade as well
current time: sitting in a $989,000 short position on the S&P split between this account at Schwab and another at TD Ameritrade. DATE: 3/28/2020

WHEN we retest the lows of 3/23/2020 in the S&P, I will be in the money roughly $500K. WHEN we break through the lows of ~2200 and test 2100 support levels, I will be up 750K-1m, WHEN we crash through 2100 to test 2000? 1-1.5m. WHEN we then gap down to test the Fibonacci level at 1700, I no longer post on SDN. Hasta la vista.

satisfied bud?

LA, you will be missed if you profit from the short-sell and decide to retire early. If you do retire early, will you have new goals in life (ex. developing a commercial nuclear fusion reactor, creating drones for personal commuting, solving the problem of global warming, etc.)? Or will you just rest and relax until the end? Just curious.

LA, you will be missed if you profit from the short-sell and decide to retire early. If you do retire early, will you have new goals in life (ex. developing a commercial nuclear fusion reactor, creating drones for personal commuting, solving the problem of global warming, etc.)? Or will you just rest and relax until the end? Just curious.

There is a private gated community with a strong security element in Costa Rica which is being built right now funded by a group of well heeled physicians that cold called me Friday to inquire if I was interested in a buildable parcel.

I have never been to CR, only seen some sketches on this project but that is an option. But I know maybe 1 guy from this community and the rest seem to be total A-holes from NYC/New Jersey so Im hesitant.

But I may keep my feet partly in pathology by using telemedicine options that appear to be set to explode. I have LOTS of interest though. I have a brother with significant experience in international sales in heavy weapons, another brother in dot.com and fintech and yet another one in consulting/lobbying so lots of paths ahead.

There is a private gated community with a strong security element in Costa Rica which is being built right now funded by a group of well heeled physicians that cold called me Friday to inquire if I was interested in a buildable parcel.

I have never been to CR, only seen some sketches on this project but that is an option. But I know maybe 1 guy from this community and the rest seem to be total A-holes from NYC/New Jersey so Im hesitant.

But I may keep my feet partly in pathology by using telemedicine options that appear to be set to explode. I have LOTS of interest though. I have a brother with significant experience in international sales in heavy weapons, another brother in dot.com and fintech and yet another one in consulting/lobbying so lots of paths ahead.

Jesus, and I’m just sittin’ on my ass shooting and fishing

• Love

View attachment 300047

satisfied bud?

Do you regularly trade options?
Volatility and time decay are not your friends. Take your profits when you can.
Bears make money, bulls make money and pigs get slaughtered.
These other values are built in ( Time and Vol) into the option price. They can be just as important as the stock level.
Good luck

Do you regularly trade options?
Volatility and time decay are not your friends. Take your profits when you can.
Bears make money, bulls make money and pigs get slaughtered.
These other values are built in ( Time and Vol) into the option price. They can be just as important as the stock level.
Good luck

thanks, Im fairly confident I know what Im doing at this point.
I am in cash aside from short positions so I would actually wish all the folks still mindlessly listening to their money managers telling them to "stay the course."

View attachment 300047

satisfied bud?

If technical analysis always worked, then technical analysts would all be billionaires. I lost bucks summer of 2009 on 3x inverse S&P etf's because they all said that the 666 March low had to be "retested". It wasn't.

I am in cash aside from short positions so I would actually wish all the folks still mindlessly listening to their money managers telling them to "stay the course."

Be careful and prosper. You have always done your homework. And, as re us folks who pretty much are standing pat on mis guided advisement, I do not and never have had an investment advisor. I’ve done 8 figures on my own.

My daddy taught me all I need to know about making money.

Farmers are having a ruff time. Commodity prices are down.

I don't have a money manager, but if someone wasn't making moves 3+ weeks ago then it's really too late and "stay the course" is the smart play. Better to wait for the paper losses to turn back to gains than sell near the bottom. Assuming one's portfolio is diversified, that is.

Lol @ the bizarre SDN narcissism.. yes LADoc, you are the only real human here, surrounded by low value bots questioning your trading acumen.

No, YOU are the only real human here. The rest of us are GODS!

• Haha
Lol @ the bizarre SDN narcissism.. yes LADoc, you are the only real human here, surrounded by low value bots questioning your trading acumen.

I knew it!!!

Holding in my trade, deleveraged a few hundred K today when there was a drop, after hours market looking good and red, tomorrow could be payday.

I knew it!!!

Holding in my trade, deleveraged a few hundred K today when there was a drop, after hours market looking good and red, tomorrow could be payday.

I think you are correct. Cha ching

I think you are correct. Cha ching

yup, blowing it up and I think tomorrow and Friday will be the real money days for this trade.

Wow, started off a sleeper and Im killing it going into the last 20 minutes...wow. Frozen section just arrived, maybe a good time to just quit and walk away...jk:)