Poll: Should a non-physician be chairman of Pathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A non-physician should be able to become chairman of Pathology.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

deleted915203

A PhD degree alone is enough to be a hospital Pathology Chairman in the USA.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect that non-pathologists (administrators, physicians of other medical specialties) are on the pathology chairman search committees. They must feel that training in patient care (being a physician) does not matter for pathology.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at a department with an internist as chair who was prominent for research he did in a pathology-relevant field. It was problematic as he did not really understand anatomic pathology; at least a majority of the staff felt that way. That lead to constant conflict. He also seemed to advance non-physicians in the department in his niche of research above pathologists who had other areas of focus. This, and other financial causes lead to a mass exodus of invaluable and renown staff (myself included).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was at a department with an internist as chair who was prominent for research he did in a pathology-relevant field. It was problematic as he did not really understand anatomic pathology; at least a majority of the staff felt that way. That lead to constant conflict. He also seemed to advance non-physicians in the department in his niche of research above pathologists who had other areas of focus. This, and other financial causes lead to a mass exodus of invaluable and renown staff (myself included).

Wow! They are giving Pathology Chairman jobs to PhDs and non-pathology physicians. I doubt this sort of thing happens in any other field of medicine!

I guess I am an EXTREMIST because I think all pathology chairmen should be AP/CP trained. I have seen pathology chairmen with just AP or CP training, and that alone can cause problems.

Reactions: 1 user

Can a PhD-only chairman relate to MD pathology trainees?

Would a PhD-only chairman advocate for MD related issues (such as too few pathology attending jobs)?

How many Radiology chairmen are PhD-only? They could justify it, just as pathology has, but I don't think they do that.

Just curious if anyone knows of any examples of Academic depts (non pathology) that have a non MD as chair ?

I guess we can add that to the list of "red flags" for a pathology department. For the life of me I can't understand how there wouldn't be a pathologist revolt in a department if the dean of the medical school tried to install a non-MD and/or non-pathologist into the chairmanship.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users