Poll time: Are you a cookie cutter pre-med?

Started by monkeyMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Are you a cookie cutter pre-med?

  • What is a cookie cutter?

    Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Yes. The really common round sugar cookie type.

    Votes: 37 26.6%
  • Yes. But I am a bit special because I am gingerbread man shaped.

    Votes: 36 25.9%
  • No. I was rolled into a round tube and cut into a cookie with checkmarks inside.

    Votes: 23 16.5%
  • No. I am a drop cookie. Totally special.

    Votes: 25 18.0%

  • Total voters
    139

monkeyMD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
:xf:

Cookie cutter= having all the typical requirements necessary to gain entrance into a US Med School such as:
clinical volunteering, volunteering, leadership, etc etc.

Special=having a published paper in a well known journal, having won a prestigious award, starting your own very successful business, etc etc.
 
:xf:

Cookie cutter= having all the typical requirements necessary to gain entrance into a US Med School such as:
clinical volunteering, volunteering, leadership, etc etc.

Special=having a published paper in a well known journal, having won a prestigious award, starting your own very successful business, etc etc.

According to that definition, I'm cookie-cutter, though I have a lot of EC activities that I've done in my home country Bolivia.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you can be a cookie-cutter applicant and still stand out, as contrary as that may seem. It just depends how involved you are with each activity. Two applicants each have a club leadership role, something which may not stand out in its own right on an application, but if one of them actually created a club from the ground up then that will carry more interest in an interview conversation and on paper. So while you may be checking boxes like research, leadership, community service, etc., how far you go with each one is what sets you apart.
 
I think you can be a cookie-cutter applicant and still stand out, as contrary as that may seem. It just depends how involved you are with each activity. Two applicants each have a club leadership role, something which may not stand out in its own right on an application, but if one of them actually created a club from the ground up then that will carry more interest in an interview conversation and on paper. So while you may be checking boxes like research, leadership, community service, etc., how far you go with each one is what sets you apart.


Thus, the gingerbread man.
👍
 
My activities are pretty cookie-cutter (ie Tutor, TA, shadowing, etc) but I think there is at least some unique-ness to them.
 
Non traditional student with a history undergrad, library science grad, and then post grad sciences to fulfill med school requirements.

I am also a man working in OB. Weird...
 
I'm pretty special. I've scrubbed in on hundreds of cases in most surgical subspecialties and have done quite a few operations myself. I've delivered babies, put in central lines, chest tubes, art lines and more. I've got big hopes for this application cycle.


but srsly, yes, I was chocolate chip.