Poll: Top reason why you want to be a dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteveB

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a thought i had while looking around! What is your top reason for becoming a dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to be a dentist because it is a fantastic job where you help people all day long and see the direct result of your work!

I think dentistry is the best fusion of art and science. Moreover, understanding of the oral biology and in particular the microfauna is an exciting and novel way to explore overall health of an individual. Plus I wanna teach, and there is a shortage of DDS/PhDs.

-Doing 2 months of research on the gene pathways linked to biofilm production in S. mutans this summer.

Ok, ok...that was all crap...I'm here for the chicks and the money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think dentistry is the best fusion of art and science. Moreover, understanding of the oral biology and in particular the microfauna is an exciting and novel way to explore overall health of an individual. Plus I wanna teach, and there is a shortage of DDS/PhDs.

-Doing 2 months of research on the gene pathways linked to biofilm production in S. mutans this summer.

Ok, ok...that was all crap...I'm here for the chicks and the money.

Not that I'm whining, but if everyone is going into dentistry for the chicks, what do the chicks that are going into dentistry get (to replace "chicks" in the guys list)? My husband loves me, but I doubt most guys would say "oh dayam yeah! I want my chick to be a dentist!"

Heck, I still remember my first day of work researching at the cancer hospital. My mom said to me "you even LOOK like a scientist." I was NEVER so offended :p

Not that I'm whining, but if everyone is going into dentistry for the chicks, what do the chicks that are going into dentistry get (to replace "chicks" in the guys list)? My husband loves me, but I doubt most guys would say "oh dayam yeah! I want my chick to be a dentist!"

What a narcissistic comment. When guys say they're "in it for the chicks" they *do not* mean other dental students who happen to be females.

They mean they can tell the ladies (non-dental ladies) that they are a doctor/dentist and that helps gets the gameless ones their foot in the door, so to speak.

What a narcissistic comment. When guys say they're "in it for the chicks" they *do not* mean other dental students who happen to be females.

They mean they can tell the ladies (non-dental ladies) that they are a doctor/dentist and that helps gets the gameless ones their foot in the door, so to speak.

Yes, I understand that... What the - are you talking about? LOL What I am saying is when guys joke and say they are in it for the chicks... girls can't say "I'm in it for the guys." A lot of guys that I know aren't impressed with a girl being a dentist, so we cant get our "foot in the door" the same way. What do we (girls) get to replace that?

Guys say "I'm in it for the money and the chicks" and the girls can say "I'm in it for the money and the _______?" What is the blank? Wow, I should NOT have had to explain this to you.

What do we (girls) get to replace that?

Things you can do: Have a pulse. Be able to walk out your front door.

In all seriousness, girls don't really need game to get attention. To attract a quality man, game can help, but women certainly do not need it to get attention from men. Any guy who is honest with you will admit to this. It's not like how men need to constantly be working on their social skills and game just to be able to talk to ladies.

Most women literally can have 500 guys concurrently interested in her with no real work at all, wheras a normal male with options (i.e. non-celebrity male) would be doing incredibly awesome and be extremely crazy successful in all areas of his life (physical, career, social) have 15 women concurrently seriously interested in him at a given time. 15 is stretching it too. 7 or 8 might be more realistic. Dating is severely skewed in female's favor.

Things you can do: Have a pulse. Be able to walk out your front door.

In all seriousness, girls don't really need game to get attention. To attract a quality man, game can help, but women certainly do not need it to get attention from men. Any guy who is honest with you will admit to this. It's not like how men need to constantly be working on their social skills and game just to be able to talk to ladies. Dating is severely skewed in female's favor.

Look, calm down...I was joking anyway. Lighten up! Overreact much?
I agree to your point. I know I don't have game... yet I have never spent more than a month without dating some guy since I was 16... I wasn't even interested in 4 out of 5 of them. Luckily marriage ended the dating scene... Lucky # 6.

Guys say "I'm in it for the money and the chicks" and the girls can say "I'm in it for the money and the _______?" What is the blank?

To be serious, perhaps say "Personal satisifaction of working in an amazing profession" ? I don't know.. I seriously hope every single person who says "chicks and money" is joking. I know that I am.

Look, calm down...I was joking anyway. Lighten up! Overreact much?

No. Just taking the opportunity to give many other females (not you, you seem to have the idea) a glimpse of something they generally aren't aware of. Many of my female friends have no idea that men are constantly working on improving their dating game, and they're shocked when they find out that there is so much time and effort put into improving one's game.

Also, our message posting is lagged, so as I'm replying, you have your next reply, and by then I've posted my reply, and so on.

No. Just taking the opportunity to give many other females (not you, you seem to have the idea) a glimpse of something they generally aren't aware of. Many of my female friends have no idea that men are constantly working on improving their dating game, and they're shocked when they find out that there is so much time and effort put into improving one's game.

Also, our message posting is lagged, so as I'm replying, you have your next reply, and by then I've posted my reply, and so on.

Don't you hate that lag? ;) I was just giving you a hard time.

What is interesting is none of the SDN internet police ([FONT=verdana, arial]™) haven't mentioned that this thread I dug up was, well, a little bit old.

Oh well... it has taken an interesting discussion turn. Hope other people weigh in and comment.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is interesting is none of the SDN internet police ([FONT=verdana, arial]™) haven't mentioned that this thread I dug up was, well, a little bit old.

Oh well... it has taken an interesting discussion turn. Hope other people weigh in and comment.

Yeah... It seems to me that people generally get pretty upset over threads like this for maybe 2 reasons:
1. Similar threads have gone around so many times
2. People have the "if you are questioning dentistry, maybe you shouldn't go into it" theory.

I'm just going to use it as a money laundering scheme since my whole family is in the mafia.

Its a very valid question "why dentistry and not any other Medical field"

About a month ago (or a little more), I started shadowing our family MD (just to see what fuss is all about)...... And to be honest, I loved what he did, our family doctor (Dr. Toma) is really goofy and cracks alot of jokes and makes the environment a fun place to be.... anyways, I started questioning my self weather I should go dental vs medicine....

anyways, after a few weeks more of shadowing both my sister from time to time (DDS) and Dr. Toma, I realised that the dental profession is just as interesting as MD. It is a close call though, but I am sticking with my choice and I'll never change or think otherwise....

but I'll tell you, its always a good idea to shadow other medical fields, it gives you insights into what you REALLY wanna do and it never gives you 2nd thoughts about "did I go into the right field"...

formula-45-yacht.jpg

:) Alsalamo alykom to everybody (that means peace be upon all of you).This topic is so nice and your replies are really great.I wouldn't say something so different.At all I consider the medical studing however that was pharmacy, medicine,dentistry ect....... .Is really a great studying.The doctor or a dentist feels sure so happy as he/she spends her/his live working for others and sacrifices with most of her/his time for helping people and make them eliminate from their pains.
This is the most nobel goal in life.As always happiness is present in giving to the other.
Also the prophet Mohammed peace be upon him said:"Your smile in the face of your brother in islam is a charity".
So you see,even a smile can be a charity.So what you think about helping a person to eliminate from his pains by being a dentist or a doctor?,isn't this great goal in life?
So I decided to be a medical student for helping the others.I didn't care for being a medical or dentistry student but only my marks in the secondry school which decided this field of dentistry.
It is great also to study any medical field as it makes you learn more about the creature of Allah(my lord) and to wonder this creation so you can know how great is Allah and how great are his miracles.:)
Please my lord (Allah) help me and all of the students here in this forum to study well and to become successful doctors so they can play a great role in the life and it is keeping the people healthy.
Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen.
Sister in islam,
Menna Atia.

Yes, I understand that... What the - are you talking about? LOL What I am saying is when guys joke and say they are in it for the chicks... girls can't say "I'm in it for the guys." A lot of guys that I know aren't impressed with a girl being a dentist, so we cant get our "foot in the door" the same way. What do we (girls) get to replace that?

Guys say "I'm in it for the money and the chicks" and the girls can say "I'm in it for the money and the _______?" What is the blank? Wow, I should NOT have had to explain this to you.

Sorry to burst to all dental/ predental guys. HOT girls nowadays prefer lawyer. Imagine guys in black suit (not wearing a mask like most guys dentist) order people around is such a turn on:p

I'm not in for the chicks. I'm in for all the free teeth I get to put under my pillow for the toothfairy to come and get.

I'm not in for the chicks. I'm in for all the free teeth I get to put under my pillow for the toothfairy to come and get.
soooo.... you're in it for the money.

Really both doctors,males or females are needed for this job.

soooo.... you're in it for the money.

I was making a joke and that wasn't my point ><. I'm in it b/c I like it more than anything else.

guys say they are in it for the chicks... girls are in it to be THE man... ... ... then later on they go for the chicks too... :D :eek: