I appreciate your opinion.

  • Send My App with a well rounded selection of schools now

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Send My App after I get my scores back

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Send My App Next Year

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Send my App to 5 preferred schools only

    Votes: 8 28.6%

  • Total voters
    28
Jul 26, 2009
10
0
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
So i meant to take the MCAT earlier this summer, june 2nd. It just didn't happen. I think I can be ready by mid or late august.

Should I:

1. Send My App with a well rounded selection of schools now
2. Send My App after I get my scores back
3. Send My App Next Year
4. Send my App to 5 preferred schools only: UCSF, Stanford, UCD, OHSU,Wash. Because, "I can always reapply next year if I don't get in. This way I won't end up being forced into a lower tier school just because I'm late."

// My AMCAS Application Highlights:

1300 Hours working side-by-side with physician [scribe]
Cumulative GPA: 3.94
BCPM GPA: 3.90 [stupid P.Chem. the "p" should stand for poopie]
160 hrs Tutoring
Research. No pending publications but I anticipate being published by next year prior to graduation, first author. One Poster Presentation, first author.
 

TopSecret

Removed
Jul 14, 2009
1,095
4
949, 310
Status
  1. Attending Physician
So i meant to take the MCAT earlier this summer, june 2nd. It just didn't happen. I think I can be ready by mid or late august.

Should I:

1. Send My App with a well rounded selection of schools now
2. Send My App after I get my scores back
3. Send My App Next Year
4. Send my App to 5 preferred schools only: UCSF, Stanford, UCD, OHSU,Wash. Because, "I can always reapply next year if I don't get in. This way I won't end up being forced into a lower tier school just because I'm late."

// My AMCAS Application Highlights:

1300 Hours working side-by-side with physician [scribe]
Cumulative GPA: 3.94
BCPM GPA: 3.90 [stupid P.Chem. the "p" should stand for poopie]
160 hrs Tutoring
Research. No pending publications but I anticipate being published by next year prior to graduation, first author. One Poster Presentation, first author.

Apply this year after you get your MCAT scores back.
 
About the Ads

TopSecret

Removed
Jul 14, 2009
1,095
4
949, 310
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Although I may apply next cycle, taking the MCAT in january is out of the question. I'm way too close to breaking 40 on my practice exams to be waiting that long to forget all the material.

If you have a 3.9+ GPA and breaking 40's on the practice exam I'd wait until the scores come back. Because with numbers like those, you would definitely raise some eyebrows and get invited to an interview even if a bit late in the admissions cycle.
 
Apr 23, 2009
43
0
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
If you have the money to do it I don't see any harm in applying to a few schools you would really want to go to this year. Worst case scenario you have to apply next year anyway.

I could be way off, and I'm all for applying early, but I would not be too surprised if some schools kept a few spots reserved for people applying a little later. The rest of your application looks like it is pretty solid and if your close to hitting 40's on your practice test you might as well go for it and hope for the best.
 

dw2158

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2008
5,268
2
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I could be way off, and I'm all for applying early, but I would not be too surprised if some schools kept a few spots reserved for people applying a little later.

i don't think this is true. some schools are non-rolling, in which case if you get an interview, it doesn't matter if the interview is in october or february. but many (most?) schools are very open about the fact that they're rolling. so i don't think they'd keep spots open.
 

red10

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
1,429
24
Status
  1. Medical Student
if you apply this year you need to get that primary in ASAP! You'll be waiting in line forever anyway. Pick your top schools and a few safety/lower tiers and work on the secondary prompts NOW so that when you get them its a day turn around time. Do whatever you can to keep from delaying yourself any more than the MCAT already will
 
Dec 21, 2008
1,376
115
Status
  1. Attending Physician
So i meant to take the MCAT earlier this summer, june 2nd. It just didn't happen. I think I can be ready by mid or late august.

Should I:

1. Send My App with a well rounded selection of schools now
2. Send My App after I get my scores back
3. Send My App Next Year
4. Send my App to 5 preferred schools only: UCSF, Stanford, UCD, OHSU,Wash. Because, "I can always reapply next year if I don't get in. This way I won't end up being forced into a lower tier school just because I'm late."

// My AMCAS Application Highlights:

1300 Hours working side-by-side with physician [scribe]
Cumulative GPA: 3.94
BCPM GPA: 3.90 [stupid P.Chem. the "p" should stand for poopie]
160 hrs Tutoring
Research. No pending publications but I anticipate being published by next year prior to graduation, first author. One Poster Presentation, first author.

I would strike option 4 out if I had the chance; you never want to go into the application cycle with that mentality.
 
Jul 25, 2009
180
0
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
If I were you, I would submit your primary ASAP - even if you only select 1 school for now. You can always add more when you see your scores, or not if you're unhappy with it decide to wait a year. Then you're only a re-applicant at one school. This is what I'm doing. It is taking me FOREVER to get verified so if you think there's a chance you will apply this year, submit now!
 
Jul 26, 2009
10
0
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
If I were you, I would submit your primary ASAP - even if you only select 1 school for now. You can always add more when you see your scores, or not if you're unhappy with it decide to wait a year. Then you're only a re-applicant at one school. This is what I'm doing. It is taking me FOREVER to get verified so if you think there's a chance you will apply this year, submit now!

How Long has it been since you've submitted your App?
 
Jul 26, 2009
10
0
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks for all your advice everyone. I think I'm going to put in my application to a school I'd never get into anyways [because of I don't live in the required state] and wait for my MCAT scores to come back before deciding whether to add other schools.

2 weeks until I take the MCAT....wish me luck
 
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads